Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Very OT - Wild Turkey Warning

Eric Iverson

Something I found on the Net:

Human conflicts with wild turkeys

Turkeys have been known to be aggressive toward humans and pets in residential areas.[12] Wild turkeys have a social structure and pecking order and habituated turkeys may respond to humans and animals as they do to another turkey. Habituated turkeys may attempt to dominate or attack people that the birds view as subordinates.[13]

The town of Brookline, Massachusetts recommends that citizens be aggressive toward the turkeys, take a step towards them and do not back down. Brookline officials have also recommended making noise (clanging pots or other objects together); popping open an umbrella; shouting and waving your arms; squirting them with a hose; allowing your leashed dog to bark at them; and forcefully fending them off with a broom.[14]

Im not sure how many wild turkeys you run into, but just in case, you know what to do! Not sure how this advice applies to HUMAN turkeys.............

So how is everybody? Any specific holiday plans?

=======================

Eric here: I suppose a rock guitarist could also drag his Marshall stack and dime them and fend off the dangerous wild turkeys THAT way.

Does that work with HUMAN turkeys?? I have known some who seem to "view me as a subordinate" for no apparent reason.......

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My plans for the holidays is to eat a turkey LOL! I've lived with wild turkeys for 20 years and never had to take any of those actions. Had them in my yard many times (still have them up at the cabin). When they see you they will move along. And they will see you long before you find a pot to bang on, a broom or your umbrella LOL! They are beautiful to watch from a distance. Especially the old fellows when they strut and spread their wings...when you see them on the road or on the side of the road, slow down. That's about all the advice I can come up with. But yeah, that Marshall stack will get rid of them LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I see there's more to this than the obvious parts of the OP but...are there any wild turkeys (& shouldn't that be "turkies" ? :idk ) in residential areas ?

As far as defensive tools against either the rogue residential turkeys or the lame-o human kind, sound waves could be used but I think the effect would involve such intense low freq [induces such muscle relaxation that ppl can be made to poop their trou] or sheer loudness that the operation would involve so much support gear that you couldn't just pull it out spur-of-the-moment.

Loudness attack

[video:youtube]

Low freq tool

d=halfnote

Brookline officials have also recommended making noise (clanging pots or other objects together); popping open an umbrella; shouting and waving your arms; squirting them with a hose; allowing your leashed dog to bark at them; and forcefully fending them off with a broom.

Hows about shooting the aggressive turkey, and making thanksgiving dinner out of it......

:cheers:

We love our turkeys and were upset when the local hospital tried to bypass city laws and hire people to go after them in our neighbourhood, off their own property, just because they didn't like it that they sometimes enter their parking lot.

We won the battle, after raising awareness to a pretty high level as well. Don't forget, it was almost made the national bird instead of the bald eagle!

They're smart, social birds. And as some have noted, territorial, but people really need to be less clueless about how to deal with animals. I've seen the worst behaviour in our national parks, with people posing their children on top of elk and bison.

Since the huge population explosion of wild turkeys in the Easy Bay, a lot of other problems have diminished. A lot of people don't think about the big picture of how an animal is fitting into the overall ecosystem, and what might result from removing them (e.g. more rats and other disease vectoring critters).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

As urban development encroached on more and more farmland, my understanding is that some small-time family farmers got priced out to the point that they copuldn't even afford to disperse their animals properly, so we began to see domesticated pigs and turkeys and a few other species return to the wild on their own and then start breeding and expanding.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks for the warning, but I don't drink distilled liquors. ;)

But yeah, I've seen that stuff TEAR UP some guys over the years! :laugh:

Whitefang( shoulda seen this comin', eh? ;) )

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

As urban development encroached on more and more farmland, my understanding is that some small-time family farmers got priced out to the point that they copuldn't even afford to disperse their animals properly, so we began to see domesticated pigs and turkeys and a few other species return to the wild on their own and then start breeding and expanding.

Yeah, that must be it b/c checking into this yesterday I read that as long ago as mid 20thC there were almost no wild turkeys--or even, turkies :rolleyes: --- loose anywhere, what or when.

Oh & for those who wonder abt our DTown correspondent WFang, here's some bg abt another animal threat to our civilization....

WhiteFang steals a steak

d=halfnote

Yeah, I always SAID that's where I got the name from. :roll:

Growing up, I NEVER missed Soupy, and m'boy WHITEFANG was my favorite recurrence on that show. ;)

Whitefang( "uh-RHOO! ;) )

Oh.....

One of THOSE families, eh?...

Probably tried handing out HEALTHY snack at Halloween I bet.. ;)

Must've save y'all a LOT of $$$ in toilet paper! :laugh:

Mind you, just havin' a bit of fun with y'all. ;)

Whitefang

Archived