Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Integra 7 mod/additions

Adam Burgess

So, I have an Integra-7 that I havent used much since I got my last Kronos, and a Behringer Motor61 controller that Ive just been given for free. I do love the supernatural stuff.

I had a mad idea about building a sheet aluminum case around a 61 key keybed and re-housing the Integra inside. Wooden cheeks, of course.

Opening the Integra-7, the boards are all relatively small (and separate) so theyd go in an average sized casing no problem... maybe Triton size?

So, to the question. If I was to keep some of the electronics from the Behringer, what controls would you permanently assign the knobs and faders to on the Integra?

I dont want two screens, so I guess Id either program the Behringer once and then that would do, or run a little Arduino inside to pass MIDI from the encoders etc.

Dont think Id keep the pads.

I would like a button or two (possibly a keypad?) to easily select Studio Sets. The SysEx implementation is really good and sure theres a string for almost everything. Not a problem if I use the Kronos set list to send out PC changes. But, itd be handy to just use the Frankentegra on pop gigs where I dont need the weighted Kronos.

I think Id enjoy programming the Integra if it was actually attached and directly above a keyboard!

Look forward to any ideas or pointing out of any terrible flaws in my plan. Id be getting actual metal and wood people to build it - I have no patience for things like that, but can design where I want everything.

Cheers, Adam

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam,

Two words: slippery slope!

Thats good you have someone to do the wood/metal working of the casing. That could be a big job by itself. But your ambitions around this remind me of the sci-fi shows I love or home renovation shows: its so cool to see the amazing gadgets that top notch scientists come up with in very little time, or remodels that get done in a couple of hours, but the devil is in the details, and for the most part its a fantasy seeing all these fantastic projects come together in so little time.

At the very least, to get an idea of the feasibility of your project, I would think, even as a layman, that youd want first to

- Nail down exactly how you want the two to interact- get the mapping of controls down with these as two separate entities and see if it does what you want it to do

- Open up the Motor 61- what makes you think you can pick and choose which controls to keep or not? I would think the controls are all tied into each other, but I wouldnt know. With the Motor 61 and Integra opened up, do the wiring you think youd want and see if it works the way youd want it to

- What about the controls, inputs/outputs of the Integra? Some of these youd likely want to keep.

Without being technically qualified to give a detailed answer on the feasibility of this project, it seems a bit fantastical that youd be able to pull of a project like this without spending all your free time for a year to get a modicum of desired results. Theres so many layers to this project, from housing the un-boxed Integra, to keeping/deleting just some of the Motor 61 controls and re-integrating into a new design, to getting all the ins and outs of the Motor 61 and Integra to be put together, to getting the software/sysex working as desired, etc etc.

I imagine that many more of these types of projects would take place if they werent so complex with so many requirements and layers to deal with, which is why almost all of us are dependent on manufacturers to hammer out these complex projects, and even then, with teams of engineers, it can be several years to work out the bugs even after the basic product has been released.

Randy

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Ooooh I like this idea!

The only part that would need a ton of creativity would be the main motherboard. It is huge. The rest of the boards are small enough.

I have an old non-repairable Korg M50 that I would attempt this.... but first I'd need the Integra :)

here's some pics of the insides of the Integra

BwsBMb.jpg

This is the built in 4GB sd card that holds the expansions

zBndYU.jpg

3SvRlL.jpg

underside of above board

0UTXIv.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Yes. Mine is currently open :-)

Guess the main board would have to go under the keybed somehow. Too deep then? Time to make some life size cardboard circuit boards and see what the dimensions could be. Looks like the case would need to be kind of SY77 sized - which wasnt small - if the board was mounted directly behind the keyboard.

Big as it ends up, Id rather one package than controller and rack, anyway. I shall ponder some more!

Adam,

Two words: slippery slope!

Thats good you have someone to do the wood/metal working of the casing. That could be a big job by itself. But your ambitions around this remind me of the sci-fi shows I love or home renovation shows: its so cool to see the amazing gadgets that top notch scientists come up with in very little time, or remodels that get done in a couple of hours, but the devil is in the details, and for the most part its a fantasy seeing all these fantastic projects come together in so little time.

At the very least, to get an idea of the feasibility of your project, I would think, even as a layman, that youd want first to

- Nail down exactly how you want the two to interact- get the mapping of controls down with these as two separate entities and see if it does what you want it to do

- Open up the Motor 61- what makes you think you can pick and choose which controls to keep or not? I would think the controls are all tied into each other, but I wouldnt know. With the Motor 61 and Integra opened up, do the wiring you think youd want and see if it works the way youd want it to

- What about the controls, inputs/outputs of the Integra? Some of these youd likely want to keep.

Without being technically qualified to give a detailed answer on the feasibility of this project, it seems a bit fantastical that youd be able to pull of a project like this without spending all your free time for a year to get a modicum of desired results. Theres so many layers to this project, from housing the un-boxed Integra, to keeping/deleting just some of the Motor 61 controls and re-integrating into a new design, to getting all the ins and outs of the Motor 61 and Integra to be put together, to getting the software/sysex working as desired, etc etc.

I imagine that many more of these types of projects would take place if they werent so complex with so many requirements and layers to deal with, which is why almost all of us are dependent on manufacturers to hammer out these complex projects, and even then, with teams of engineers, it can be several years to work out the bugs even after the basic product has been released.

Randy

I agree totally. You are so correct...! But here, the manufacturers have done many years of work. I just need to place the pieces in a different order.

But I have the time. Ive repaired enough keyboards to have an idea how theyre put together. Only really gigging two days a week regularly. Always like something to keep me busy and out of the pub ;-)

Controller wise, Id recycle the encoders and faders from the Motor61 and get them into an arduino. Lots of ready made scripts and stuff to interface that. Or if the boards are willing size-wise, could just hard wire normal MIDI inside and keep some of the Behringer electronics. Id Keep all the Integra buttons for sure. Theres not enough as it is. Cant afford to lose any!

Cool! This makes me think that, in theory, Roland could offer new expansions, either with a utility that re-wrote the files on that card, or by offering a replacement card. Not that I think they're likely to do it, but the tech at least makes it seem feasible.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Cool! This makes me think that, in theory, Roland could offer new expansions, either with a utility that re-wrote the files on that card, or by offering a replacement card. Not that I think they're likely to do it, but the tech at least makes it seem feasible.

I think theres more than enough sounds in there already to use as just a ROMpler! Never really liked programming synth stuff from scratch on the tiny display, but, its possible. Again, the iPad editor isnt that great at all. So yeah, the tech is there but the front end on the iPad, the unit itself, and the plugin(out?) is just not complete enough. Strange that wed still have to get into PG1000 territory after all this time to make it hands on...

Still wondering if its worth porting any controls from the controller into my little project at all to be useful.

But, it sounds lovely to me... still a shame all the expansions arent available at once, and, theres no ability to grab a few from the whole lot from a certain bank and put them into a user area.

I think theres more than enough sounds in there already to use as just a ROMpler!

Oh yes. But for example, Roland came out with a new EXP for the FA. In theory, with the Integra's virtual expansion cards stored on rewritable media, it might not be impossible to make that expansion available for the Integra as well.

still a shame all the expansions arent available at once, and, theres no ability to grab a few from the whole lot from a certain bank and put them into a user area.

Yeah, assembling a custom "best of" expansion would be nice, and I've thought it should at least be something the DS and FA could do (since they load their expansion files externally to begin with). Though it would probably need to be done via a computer editor if it were to be done at all, as you'd want a pretty communicative interface. The trick is managing the sample space. Some patches take very little, but it's possible to select, say, one piano sound off a piano expansion, and actually have no room for anything else anyway.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived