Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on possible second keyboard / synth

Rev_02

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I have a Yamaha PSR S900 and I am interested in covering bands like Rush and Killers etc. I have been looking at synths like microkorg, mininova, minilogue, or possible older ones like a Yamaha AN1X. Probably would rather go second hand cos price is a bit of an issue.

I would be interested to get a synth partly just to play around with and experiment, to go along with my S900. Do you have any advice, or any other ideas for different keyboards / synths?

Thanks all, please let me know if I am doing anything wrong, as I said, it's my first post.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thankyou, I had not seen the DeepMind 6 before. I will certainly look into it a bit further as this looks a bit more like something I would go for. However, although it is under $600 price is still a bit of an issue (I'm still at school) so I don't know if I should wait until I can afford something like a DeepMind, or go for something older / more basic.

The DeepMind 6 (DM6) is a great suggestion for a 6-note poly synth with regular sized keys and real-time control.

Being in school, I can understand cost being a factor but the DM6 would be an investment into a synth that you could grow with over time. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Not sure what to suggest if you can't swing $600. I guess search Craigslist and tell us what there is that you can afford. Then we can advise from there. You can find old proline boards in the $300-400 range. Each with their own set advantages and disadvantages.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I know I'm extremely limited in terms of price, which is why I'm thinking just to wait a while. Other than that, there are old Yamaha cs1x and similar boards on eBay for around £250 although I would rather not go for sample based synths. I have seen Minilogues on there for around the same price also. How about a Roland JDXi? they seem affordable second hand.

CS1X is cool. The biggest issue with the old

digital stuff is if the wrong part goes out you may not be able to repair it. I would rather play a CS1x than any synth with mini keys.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I haven't played one but it receives good reviews. If you can get past the mini keys, go for it.

I have read some reviews, and the mini keys seem like the only real disadvantage of this synth, although not favourable, I could certainly live with it. I could also use the s900 as a MIDI controller in most cases so this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

digital stuff is if the wrong part goes out you may not be able to repair it. I would rather play a CS1x than any synth with mini keys.

Can you edit patches with the same freedom as other synths, with this being sample based?. Sorry, I'm not really familiar with sample based synthesis.

Can you edit patches with the same freedom as other synths, with this being sample based?. Sorry, I'm not really familiar with sample based synthesis.

Sample based synthesis is essentially the same as subtractive synthesis... the only difference being that, instead of analog oscillators (or digitally modeled oscillators), the source material comes from PCM samples (looped waveforms or full blown samples)... and then goes through the rest of the usual filtering and modulation processes.

The Yamaha CS1x allows basic "performance" editing on the control panel (a few knobs for ONLY the most basic functions, like filter sweeping)... but requires "menu diving" for deeper editing.

The Yamaha AN1x uses ALL digital modeling (including the oscillators) and doesn't use PCM samples as the source material.

Other VA synths (virtual analog) offer more knobs, or knob-per-function. My Alesis ION, for instance, has a lot of knobs to cover the basic analog edits (osc, filter, lfo, VCA, etc.), but requires menu diving for deeper functions such as ring modulation, modulation matrix, etc.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Personally I'm a big fan of Guitar Center used. Prices can vary, but you get 30 (maybe 45 now) days of using the thing, and you can bring it back for any reason to your local store. You will lose shipping (which typically is only 20 bucks or so) unless there's an actual problem with it. Sometimes the thing you want isn't on there, or a price may be too high, just have to keep checking. That peace of mind is worth it IMO.

(Make sure you call and ask the place to ensure these policies haven't changed, it's been a while since I bought anything).

My local store even recommended ordering a hard case even if you didn't need it to help protect it. I had to return a *shattered* pc3 that UPS must have driven a forklift over...what a shame. The store said they'd rather have a b stock hard case than a broken keyboard.

As far as which board...I picked up my Virus B keyboard for 600, so you might be able to get it even cheaper now. That was a great keyboard, we did "Somebody Told Me" by the Killers, and "Subdivisions" by Rush. I felt I could get any analog-type sound I wanted out of that thing. My current pc3 has a powerful synth section, but that Virus had a better sound IMO.

I have read some reviews, and the mini keys seem like the only real disadvantage of this synth, although not favourable, I could certainly live with it. I could also use the s900 as a MIDI controller in most cases so this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I was going to post the same thing. Of course, if you just want something you can control from your Yamaha, the Roland Boutique range might be ideal?

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks for the advice, I am in the UK so guitar centre isn't really an option for me although I will have a look if other stores offer similar trial periods. With regards to the Virus B, I couldn't really find any for sale at the moment. I have also looked at modular and desktop synths but I would like the flexibility of being able to play 2 keyboards at once.

The Yamaha CS1x allows basic "performance" editing on the control panel (a few knobs for ONLY the most basic functions, like filter sweeping)... but requires "menu diving" for deeper editing.

The Yamaha AN1x uses ALL digital modeling (including the oscillators) and doesn't use PCM samples as the source material.

Ok, so these look like a pretty good option, I'm not too bothered about a little bit of menu diving because I'm sort of used to that with the s900 anyway.

Archived