Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kinda OT?....

whitefang

Last night I was channel surfing on my TV when I ran across 1980's movie The Blues Brothers just at the point the guys were entering that soul food diner ran by ARETHA FRANKLIN and MATT "GUITAR" MURPHY, who playe Aretha's husband. It struck me somehow, so I checked to make sure....

But Murphy died A MONTH AND ONE DAY before Aretha this year...

Somehow, something about that seemed SPIRITUAL... :eek:

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting. one of my favorite movies and I have it on a CD both I and II. I was surprised to see that Joe Walsh was in one of them when the credits were playing at the end. So much going on in those movies I miss a lot while watching but enjoy each time. Next time I will watch to see if I can pick out Joe in one of the scenes. Sad that so much great talent from those movies have passed away. Jim

Never watched II, but I was a great movie. The scene with Matt and Aretha is a great part of that movie. I must have watched it 100 times when the movie came out. It was a Rock and Roll musical with some great tunes and great artists throughout! Ray Charles is another favorite that I miss when I think about that movie. He played a great part when the boys visited his music store..."the Blues Brothers...shit, they owe you money fool!" :cool::cool:
Take care, Larryz

:laugh:

I always loved that bit when Belushi and Ackroyd would do it on SNL. They did The Blues Brothers for a couple of years before the movie came out. Hell, they even TOURED as The Blues Brothers( their 1st LP, "Briefcase Full Of Blues" released in '78) for a couple years before the movie was filmed. I STILL have that old vinyl somewhere 'round here. ;)

Whitefang

That was back in the day when SNL was at it's best IMHO. Belushi and Ackroyd made the show along with their fellow SNL not ready for prime time players! I remember when they came out as the Blues Brothers before the movie came out. +1 I have a Blues Brothers CD around here too! Cool music! :cool::cool:
Take care, Larryz

Yeah, and that song( remember...) was(fittingly) "Jailhouse Rock"!

Thanks for the info... next time I see it I'll have to try and keep a sharp eye out for Joe. ;)

Whitefang

As mentioned, Walsh shows up as a prisoner during the Jailhouse Rock scene.

Chk abt 1:15~1:20 (& maybe elsewhere :idk )

He may be seen else where I didn't have time for a full-blown search of that.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGi-cTD4PZ8

If y' really wanna know

here's some mo'

info

List of acting performances in film and television

Year / Title / Role

1971 film / Zachariah / Member of the James Gang

1980 film / The Blues Brothers / Prisoner

1996 TV Series / Promised Land / R.J.

19982001 TV Series / The Drew Carey Show / Ed

2015 TV Series / Wicked City / Music Video Director

2016 TV Series / Criminal Minds */ Himself

2016 TV Series / Better Things / Himself

-----------------

* also features his daughter & fellow singer & gtr slinger Bill Withers

d=halfnote

Good info, d---

Many(me included) probably didn't know Withers also played guitar. I only always saw him on TV back then, and always sitting at a piano, so...... :idk ;)

Whitefang

Archived