Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad with a two tier rig - how do others make this work?

miden

If you use an ipad for gigs, how are you guys using it (and still being able to see it) with a two keys rig?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tumblr_phe54m3Fsi1ual3guo1_540.jpg

If it's unclear from the photo, it sits above the lower board and level with the upper board.

As the lower is 88 and the upper is 61, this works for me. I'm always one side of the stage so I place the tablet between me and downstage centre - that way I can easily lift my eyes and still engage with the audience to some degree.

Also: I play standing up.

Thanks guys :)

Sven, I've not seen that pic before so thx for posting it again.

Do you use any lyrics on the iPad, and if so, do you have no dramas reading them from where it is placed? Or do you just use it for song setups etc? I've got the Z stand, but I guess they'll make similar attachments.

@ NQ, that's the sorta thing I thought I'd have to look at...which is not good for me as I don't think I could read it that far away...still worth a look at though to try out.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

@ NQ, that's the sorta thing I thought I'd have to look at...which is not good for me as I don't think I could read it that far away...still worth a look at though to try out.

Yeah can't guarantee it would work for everyone - but I have no trouble seeing it.

Of course it helps that I'm not seeing the thing for the first time, it's more of a memory aid. The other thing to consider is it's possible to enlarge font sizes as needed.

I put used to mine on a mic stand and attached it with a Hercules tablet holder. It worked really well - I could position the ipad so that it stood close to me over the top of the top keyboard. If I am singing I tend to memorise the lyrics and just include the odd keyword to jog my memory on my charts, but I would be able to read them all if necessary. You could always make a simple lyrics chart by copying the lyrics into an ipad sized template (I use the pages app for that) and then making the words as big as will fit on one page...

Nowadays I use a surface tablet, set up in just the same way but with a K&M tablet holder. It is bigger and has the advantage of allowing me to see two pages at once. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I generally just lay the iPad Mini on the upper right of the PC3 (or Samson MIDI controller), but the only thing I use it for is a sound module. Most of the time just running Korg Module, and I have my favorite (and customized) patches all in the user are so I can just touch if I want to change sounds.

Wouldn't work so well if I was trying to use it for lyrics though. That K&M tablet holder looks well made.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Most often, I've used a stand like this one from Satechi, it only requirs a few incheds of free panel space on my top board:

http://www.newlaunches.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Satechi-R1-Stand.jpg

Another thing that worked (by accident) was putting a plank of wood underneath my top board, which was wider than the board, giving me additional free surface. (The reason I said "by accident" is that the wood was there for a little extra height to get the two boards to stack just the way I wanted on the stand I was using.)

My newest top board, a MODX7, has enough panel space for it by itself.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This is my iPad holder, a Hercules:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331720-REG/hercules_stands_dg320b_adjustable_tablet_holder.html?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQjwguDeBRDCARIsAGxuU8arb3ZSlwnSHznJmkb8m-ycsw6uxjeAzqEp_0F-ssnDvK-8d9kVB34aAu4WEALw_wcB&smp=y

Extra versatile, folds up small. I cover it with a sock as the elastic that pulls one of the corner-holders in broke on my first one when it got snagged on wires in my case.

Mine is a hybrid of an K&M 19790 tablet holder, a short gooseneck, a sawed-off boom stand, and a clamp from an older Ultimate Support tablet holder. Clamped to a K&M 18880 stand. I can take a better picture if anyone is interested.

http://jpkeys.com/images/ipadstand.jpg

HX3.5|NS3|NE5D73|NUMAX73|SP6|XK-1c|MOXF8|PX-5S|D1|Monologue|Wurli 200|K2vxS|M3|145|Hohner Concerto iii|Vent II|Key Largo|DZR10|K8.2's

This is my iPad holder, a Hercules:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1331720-REG/hercules_stands_dg320b_adjustable_tablet_holder.html?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQjwguDeBRDCARIsAGxuU8arb3ZSlwnSHznJmkb8m-ycsw6uxjeAzqEp_0F-ssnDvK-8d9kVB34aAu4WEALw_wcB&smp=y

Extra versatile, folds up small. I cover it with a sock as the elastic that pulls one of the corner-holders in broke on my first one when it got snagged on wires in my case.

I had two.

The plastic holding bracket snapped clean off the rear peg on one, and just recently, the spring broke in the other (I've been using it with a 10.5" Pro since that came out), so the iPad will no longer hold and falls out.

Not happy.

Looking for a new solution but the arm mount of the Hercules is fantastic and worked in pretty much any situation without the need for an extra mic stand or the like.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I can take a better picture if anyone is interested.
I would like a closer look please.
Here ya go:

http://www.jpkeys.com/images/IMG_1909.JPGhttp://www.jpkeys.com/images/IMG_1910.JPG

HX3.5|NS3|NE5D73|NUMAX73|SP6|XK-1c|MOXF8|PX-5S|D1|Monologue|Wurli 200|K2vxS|M3|145|Hohner Concerto iii|Vent II|Key Largo|DZR10|K8.2's

Brilliant guys, thanks for the great suggestions and pics.

That rig from JPKeys is well thought out!

Mic stand idea is god too as I have a spare Herc holder, although it doesn't fit the iPad Pro :(

Archived