Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New keyboard suggestions

kingy75

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Roland FA-08 after spending quite some time deliberating between it and the Yamaha MOXF8. However Im not sure Im completely satisfied with the product. What I was looking for was:

* An 88-note weighted workstation synth that weights less than the S90XS or Fantom G8 so is easier to transport around for gigs.

* The ability to import samples and play them on the keyboard (the FA-08 will only let you play samples via the pads)

* I dont want the sound to cut off when I move from one Performance/Program/Split/Layer to the next (this is an issue for me with the FA-08 and S90XS).

* Plenty of User storage area to store patches, splits, layers & performances that I create

* A decent user interface that lets me access favourite sounds/performances quickly without scrolling through numerous screens/options.

* The ability to create layers with up to 16 zones if necessary - 4 isnt enough

What sold me on the FA-08 eventually was the action. To me it feels much better than the GHS action on the MOXF8.

With all the above mind does anyone have any suggestions on what might best suit my needs? Perhaps Im dreaming when I say I want something thats not as heavy as the S90XS/Fantom G8 :)

Where does the Kurzweil PC3K8 sit in relation to the above?

Thanks so much in advance,

Chris

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
* An 88-note weighted workstation synth that weights less than the S90XS or Fantom G8 so is easier to transport around for gigs.

* The ability to import samples and play them on the keyboard (the FA-08 will only let you play samples via the pads)

* I dont want the sound to cut off when I move from one Performance/Program/Split/Layer to the next (this is an issue for me with the FA-08 and S90XS).

* Plenty of User storage area to store patches, splits, layers & performances that I create

* A decent user interface that lets me access favourite sounds/performances quickly without scrolling through numerous screens/options.

* The ability to create layers with up to 16 zones if necessary - 4 isnt enough

What sold me on the FA-08 eventually was the action. To me it feels much better than the GHS action on the MOXF8.

Where does the Kurzweil PC3K8 sit in relation to the above?

Kurzweil PC3K8 does what you're asking, but at 54 lbs, is heavier than the S90XS. Better but only barely lighter than the S90XS would be the Forte 8 at 48 lbs.

Roland Juno DS88 will do what you want, same action as what you like on the FA-08. 35.75 lbs, actually slightly lighter than the FA. Note that while the sounds won't cut out when you change a Performance, there may be glitches because of differences in effects. (That's true on the Kurzweils as well.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yes, the Kronos weighted 88 is up there at 53 lbs. But at least there's an extra benefit... the seamless Combi changes won't have effects glitches.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The FA does patch remain when staying with the same studio sets. Try to organize your transitions then reassess your situation.

Transitioning between sound in the the same studio set is the way to do it anyway because you can use the pads. .... Unless you are using a 3rd party app like Setlist Maker or MobileSheets Pro.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived