Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is your favorite live recording

desertbluesman

Band of Gypsies!

Almost went w/that myself.

This is the sort of question which's answer seems to me variable on a day-to-day basis.

There are so many options & how can one have only a single iconic fave ?! :idk

Even if we draw back to only guitarists the list is great...

Charlie Christian, Les Paul (w/or/w/out Frettin' Chet A), the Who, John Dawson Winter 3rd's Progressive Blues Experiment, one of Zappa';s many (such as ) or our man Jim, represented possibly by the Monterey Pop album he split w/ Otis Redding fronting the MGs (featuring, of course, the masterful Steve Cropper) + other options like the Woodstock alb ("Vilanova Junction", anyone ?)...

...but as I was reviewing the options I remembered this clip, which, while not an alb, leads me to posit not just my fave live music but maybe the best Hendrix live music.

Not only does it showcase JH's skills but it does so in a way that none of his other works do: acoustic rather than electric, no band or other instruments, no flash showmanship, just his masterfully expressive playing & composing + his honest personal connection to the listener.

[video:youtube]

:cool:

[Note: while the vid freezes for a moment, it's followed by a secret clip of JH playing acoustic gtr in another offstage situation---don't miss it !]

yep so soulful!!!

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That might be one of the best Jimi filmed(or taped) performances, but...

Most people DO think of a performance in front of an audience in a "concert" setting as more of a "live" performance, and thus any recording of such as a "live" recording.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

+1 I have a DVD of the Shine a Light movie of the Rolling Stones. It is definitely a live performance in front of a fake Hollywood audience (who I know were glad to play the part of the extras!). There are live interviews and guest performances as well. I loved it when Keith Richards gave Buddy Guy his guitar! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

+1 I have a DVD of the Shine a Light movie of the Rolling Stones. It is definitely a live performance in front of a fake Hollywood audience (who I know were glad to play the part of the extras!). There are live interviews and guest performances as well. I loved it when Keith Richards gave Buddy Guy his guitar! :cool:

I think it's actually a New York audience. Wasn't it filmed at the Beacon Theater?

Scott Fraser

Right you are Scott! I should have said fake New York audience. I think I was thinking more about Martin Scorsese and the way Hollywood uses fake audiences in films. I didn't look up the credits before posting. We can't really tell if there were applause lights, retakes or instructions on when the audience was supposed to scream and go wild for the cameras. I think 99% of their reactions were real but they most likely had some coaching and a few retakes. They may have got paid or they may have just got in free! I would have loved to be able to get in during the filming. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Y'know. back in the "day" there were some radio stations that had artists come in and perform with a small crowd of folks in the "studio"( such as it was). and some "sets" were performed "live in the studio" of a record label( or an independent studio the label would often use).

Thus, we got ELTON JOHN'S "11-17-70", the session recorded "live" in a recording studio for broadcast later on WABC radio New York. Pressed onto a platter and released in March, '71.

It, "Tumbleweed Connection" and "Madman Across The Water" are my only EJ lps, and "11-17-70" is my favorite of the three. ;)

Whitefang

@ Fang, I liked Honky Chateau, Tumbleweed and Madman...great albums by EJ...I lost interest after Yellow Brick Road.

@ Scott, For some reason the live performances in the 70's albums seemed to be recorded much better (as many of the albums mentioned on this thread demonstrate). I'm guessing there was a breakthrough in live recording as in a lot of prior years, all you could hear was the audience screaming and not really hearing the artists all that well. Live albums just seemed to get better for some reason...Any ideas? :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Right you are Scott! I should have said fake New York audience. I think I was thinking more about Martin Scorsese and the way Hollywood uses fake audiences in films. I didn't look up the credits before posting. We can't really tell if there were applause lights, retakes or instructions on when the audience was supposed to scream and go wild for the cameras. I think 99% of their reactions were real but they most likely had some coaching and a few retakes. They may have got paid or they may have just got in free! I would have loved to be able to get in during the filming. :cool:

Sometimes a fake audience is also a real audience.

Dig this scene filmed at the near high point of Beatlemania.

I kinda suspect all the screaming would've happened w/out the pay packets.

Also note what may be the best acting in the film [1:50] when Harrison turns as though to cue Ringo's drum roll.

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

I can't pick just one favorite live recording, but I'll list some of my favorite live albums, some of which have already been mentioned:

Ted Nugent- Double Gonzo

Steppenwolf- Live

Blue Oyster Cult- Some Enchanted Evening

The Allman Bros. Band- Live at Fillmore East

Derek and the Dominoes- In concert

Live Cream

Deep Purple- Made in Japan

Emerson, Lake and Palmer- Pictures at an Exhibition

Foghat- Live

Mahogany Rush- Live

Gary Moore- The Best of the Blues

James Gang- In Concert

Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer- Live

Jimi Hendrix- Band of Gypsys

Roy Buchanan- Live Stock

UFO- Strangers in the Night

Uriah Heep- Live

Utopia- Live

Cheap Trick- At Budokan

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

Great clip d, some of my favorite Beatles tunes done at a time when I think they were at their best! The harmonies and the backing instrumental runs, chords, arrangements, writing, etc. all drove those crazy girls to the limit. Not sure the audience matched up with the music and could have been filmed at anytime before or after. But, I am sure that was live shots of a real audience. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I caught the cue on the drum roll LOL! I really think the Beatles looked like they were having a great time and looked like the buds that started out as buds! :cool::cool::cool::cool:
Take care, Larryz

@ Larry:

Did'ja ever see that TV special in '72 of The Beach Boys at the Hollywood Bowl hosted by Keith Moon? Elton was "sitting in" on keys for 'em. This was still a bit before EJ's crazy outfits, donald duck costumes and all that hoss-schitt. THAT was when he lost me. Till then I was quite taken....

Whitefang

I remember Elton back in those days in 72...I might have caught the special but not real sure. I found a few clips on YouTube and he looked quite normal back then. I still like a lot of his music from back in the day. He lost me too, with the Liberace outfits LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

... Not sure the audience matched up with the music and could have been filmed at anytime before or after. But, I am sure that was live shots of a real audience...

When I caleld it a "fake" audience it was in ref to yer remarks abt Scorcese's film abt Lips McGee & the Rambling Stones.

The kids in Hard Dazed Nights were actually there watching The Beatles mime their perf...but they were also paid, hence real/fake.

BTW, for those who hadn't heard, the young Phil Collins was one of the crowd...FWTW. :rolleyes:

d=halfnote

Yeah, I heard long ago that Collins was in that "Hard Day's Night" TV station crowd, but I never seem to be able to catch it whenever I watch my DVD of the flick. I do recall on the talk show on which I first heard avbout it they showed( and paused) the spot in which he's seen, but I STILL can't grab it!

Now, I mentioned that "Chuck Berry On Stage" Lp in which all that was done was to press his "greatest hits"( and then some) on a platter with studio added recordings of some audience from somewhere or something.

Forgetting the formula for now, you'll have to make do with a link to the only clip I could find from it....

Whitefang

+1 Delta, it is very hard to pick our favorite live recording, so I won't try to list them all. The Loggins and Messina album contains a lot of my favorite recordings. Another album Fang and I were discussing on another forum regarding Paul Simon's Birthday, is Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. It's one of my favorite albums showcasing some great vocals, lyrics and acoustic guitar work. Many of the tunes on the album were recorded before a live audience with just one cut, and it would be hard for me to pick just one of the recordings on that album too! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Forgetting the formula for now, you'll have to make do with a link to the only clip I could find from it....

That's this

[video:youtube]*

w/the YT link stuck between the 2 sections instead of the asterisk

d=halfnote

Archived