Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Stay Safe Out There!

Rusty Mike

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final report from central SC:

--The center of the eye passed about 40 miles south of my location around 06:00 Sunday morning

--A little over 4" rain, total

--Wind more-or-less equivalent to a severe thunderstorm, but no more than that--I don't measure wind speed, just rainfall

--No flooding in my location, but that doesn't mean anything because my yard slopes ~75' from one end to the other--water doesn't linger

--Power out once for a little over an hour, plus a few flickers

--No large trees down in my yard, but that will vary widely for other people because many trees have been weakened/killed by the droughts and will fall if you lean against them too hard

People up in the northeastern corner of SC and southwestern corner of NC got their asses whupped. My heart goes out to them. We got off light compared to the initial predictions--about 1/3 the rain and 1/2 the wind.

Now we wait for the rain up in the NC watersheds to come hurtling down upon us. Won't be a problem for me, as I'm far enough--both horizontally and vertically--from the Broad River that I'm safe, but others are going to get hammered. For them, it ain't over yet.

Today was partly cloudy, hot, and humid. Little wind at ground level, but the clouds ran past as though all the demons of hell were on their tails. Better them than me.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

No problems for me in Raleigh, NC... except, the air conditioner died. Condenser fan won't turn & blows the breaker.

Wind. Rain. Now the cleanup begins.

New Bern got hit hard. Stay safe MoodyBluesKeys!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Same here, not much at all, but 50 miles south was hammered. Very fortunate!

No problems for me in Raleigh, NC... except, the air conditioner died. Condenser fan won't turn & blows the breaker.

Wind. Rain. Now the cleanup begins.

New Bern got hit hard. Stay safe MoodyBluesKeys!

Tom

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Condenser fan won't turn & blows the breaker.

Tom

If you're handy, replacing a fan isn't all that hard and you can save a gazillion dollars.

Grey

Grey, I just sent you a message. It is the condenser motor. I need to find someone who will sell me a replacement.

Thank you,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Fine just outside of Raleigh, power petty much stayed on and over all the storm was like a large thunderstorm. Would say we had about 5" rain over the whole week! We dodged a bullet.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

• 3 weeks later...

I know Florida is simply crawling with KC members; Georgia and the Carolinas...not so many. That said, there are a few of us and the weather hereabouts is deteriorating as Hurricane Michael approaches.

Here in the middle of SC, it's raining like hell and going to get worse, if the radar is speaking truth. I haven't read the rain gauge yet, but am guessing that we've had at least 2-3" of rain in the last six hours, maybe 4". Winds are picking up. The eye is due in my area in a couple of hours.

The poor raccoons are frantic. They don't like heavy rain. My hypothesis is that they like to be able to hear the approach of potential predators and the racket produced by the rain in the woods interferes with their ability to listen. Add the noise from the wind and they're blind, sonically. They don't like that one bit.

How's everyone else in the Southeast holding up?

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Reporting in from Augusta GA area.

Non-stop wind and rain all night. Still raining as I write this (8:30 am), and winds are not as bad. Got pretty gusty last night, howling loudly at times. Among the worst wind Ive experienced in my 16 years here.

Power stayed on though, and theres no flooding in my immediate area (a couple of miles west of the Savannah R).

No school today for the kids, and my work site has closed, so we will be hanging out.

I make software noises.

Breaking through the eye wall as I type. Looks like the center of the eye will pass about 20 miles up the road. The rain has switched off and it's unlikely that we'll get much more, as the radar shows little precipitation on the other side of the eye at this time. We'll have wind for a while, but that should be done by this evening.

Our rain exceeded 5" but I don't know by how much...a stupid leaf covered the top of the rain gauge for an unknown period of time. All fell in less than 12 hours. Florence's 4" fell over three days. The rain was as intense as Joaquin for five or six hours, but didn't last as long. Joaquin is my benchmark for rain--never seen the like and hope I never do again.

I heard trees falling throughout the night, but the power has stayed on so far. We did have a couple of brownouts, but no real problems. All things considered, if no more trees fall we're probably going to be okay here.

Overall, Michael has hit harder in this location than Florence. Others (e.g. Florida panhandle and southern Georgia) had it far worse than we did. Are there any KC members in the panhandle or are they all in safer locations?

Grey

Every time we have one of these flooding events, I wonder how many Hammonds and Leslies get destroyed forever.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Archived