Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New polysynth. And a Roland rant.

Adam Burgess

Bit background before my questions!

So, after around 2 years of doing mainly jazzy duo gigs on house pianos and my cheap n not cheerful Numa Stage... Im back in a band doing Doors/Floyd/Zeppelin/80s stuff... etc etc.

Grabbed another Kronos (73) after selling my last one a while back (88 is just too big to fit into cabs easily) I do love it and the action suits me fine. It can do anything, and sounds amazing but I find the programming a bit tedious. I really want a synthy-something a bit more immediate. Ive also got an Integra-7 which also sounds amazing, but again, a pain to program, even with the Editor. The iPad app is ok as a mixer but limited in many other ways.

Got a Numa Organ2 which is easy and sounds fine to me!

I liked the look of a Roland combo. System 8 and a JDXA on a double stand. Kronos and Numa on another. But prices here in the Middle East are almost double of, say, Thomann. And heres the thing... Roland wont allow them (or several US companies) to ship them here. So, I got looking... now Im overwhelmed with options. Havent had a dedicated synth since I had a Juno60 back in the 90s.

I can get a DeepMind here for the same price as anywhere. The Korg Prologue looks a pretty good deal, too. DaveSmith stuff, also...

Maybe I could shop n ship something Roland but shipping costs may be scary. Thomann would ship me a Korg or Behringer today for maybe $100US. Not a Roland, alas.

Bit of a vent and the question... What would you do?

Adam

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the Roland System 8 and JDXA combo. The JDXA is the most beautiful sounding synth I own, but I am afraid that beautiful sound would be lost on stage. To me it is a studio synth. Just got my System 8 and have not used it enough to give you an informed opinion on it. I have a few of the Dave Smith synths. If you get one of those for stage make sure you get one with built in effects.

I still consider the Virus to be the king of the stage synths. Variety of sound, cuts through the mix, built like a tank, can easily find used units. When the TI2 came out people HAD to have the latest version and began selling off their TI1's even though they have the same engine and the TI2 only has 20 percent more power and polyphony.

Have no experience with the Deepmind or the Prologue.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks for that, RABid! Theres yet another synth to look at. Haha.

Never even considered the Virus.

But, yeah, I did have my heart set on the JDXA. I do love the way it sounds and sure itll be a great controller for VSTs at home. Maybe Ill take the monetary hit and pay local prices... or trust the shop n ship thing. Getting deliveries here without DHL or FedEx is a bit risky!

The band is only a trio. Gtr/Vox, Sax/Vox, me on keys and a little acoustic guitar. Weve got bass and drums on track so an almost silent stage apart from the saxes. Tracks are well produced and done from scratch so it sounds kinda studio (guitarist is very particular about that) We can leave room for certain patches at the choosing new songs stage if you know what I mean?

Already have an X32 rack as a mixer MIDId to the Kronos so can easy add some nice FX to anything if I need to.

Looks like Ill check out yet more vids on the Virus and Dave Smith stuff tomorrow.

I did Tributes against Marshalls and Ampegs.

You need a Dog thatll hunt. Virus cuts like a knife.

Another hunting dog is the SE-02 to get that 3 Oscillator monophonic Thunderbolt for leads.

Im really spoiled by them. I used 2 x SE-1s for years, then added a Code 8.

Got rid of an 8U rack of hardware thanks to the SE-02s.

I use 2 but could easily get by with 1 and the Code.

Local players always say you dont that analog gear.

Nobody will notice.

But they always do.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

There's a lot of talk about different analog and VA synths here... but I'm not sure even how essential any of this is for "Doors/Floyd/Zeppelin/80s stuff... etc etc." -- of those mentioned, I think only floyd used much in the way of analog synth sounds, and even then, would you really look at an SE-02, for example? Or is this band doing their own take on this material rather than trying to stay faithful? Or is there more analog-synthy stuff in the "etc etc" category?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I just received a DeepMind 12 over the weekend. Having a blast with it. My plan is to try and integrate it into some of the stuff we are doing. The Floyd & some old Steve Miller songs are a no brainer. But I want to try and integrate it with stuff you wouldn't normally associate it with. Haven't worked out which songs yet. It does a great job on stabs in "You Got Lucky" by Tom Petty. Minus the trippy intro in the video!

[video:youtube]

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Or is this band doing their own take on this material rather than trying to stay faithful? Or is there more analog-synthy stuff in the "etc etc" category?

Im just looking for a couple of nice, fun, hands on synths, really (and one to maybe double as a lightweight/small VST controller). The Kronos sounds lovely doing it all, but every song needs a COMBI set up in advance, which is fine - Dont mind doing it, but you do lose that spontaneous thing if you have complex splits and stuff.

Im not looking to perfectly recreate any synthy stuff perfectly but would like the sound to feel like it, not necessarily be a copy. I think Id enjoy using the Kronos on APs/EPs and Orchestral noises, the Numa organ doing its thing and a couple of synths to play with colors.

So, doesnt have to be analog, a good VA or an unashamed digital is cool. Just has to be fun. And, be nice to have a little variety if I grab 2.

Archived