Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Amp

DocPate

I work in a couple of band with a young guitarist. First was a country band where he and I play guitar. He is full time electric guitar and I guitar plus pedal steel and banjo. My main gig is being a keyboardist in a Pop band. We brought him into play guitar in that band also. He usually plays a hand built clone of a JTM45 into a closed 112 cab. But his main rehearsal amp is my favorite. It's killer. It is a 112 Princeton circuit made by a company called Morgan Amps. That thing is sweet.

His tweed covered Fender Blues Jr with a 12" Jensen sounds good too. A lot of his tone is probably just great hands ..... But I still like that Morgan.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the Princeton has been a lauded design since introduced.

I wish I'd had one but when I was starting (early 1970s) they were viewed as practice amps & I needed to play clubs where yer amp was what got you heard.

Unbeknownst to me, cats like Clapton were using them to record.

d=halfnote

+1 back in the day we considered them as good little practice amps. Princetons have always been great little amps and now you just mic them to the PA if you want to use them in bigger venues. My buddy just bought one and he loves it. My brother has had an older one for many decades and I'd love to get my hands on it one of these days (but he won't sell or trade it!). :cry:
Take care, Larryz

I was a died in the wool 80 watt plus player back in the day, twin reverbs usually, then I bought a Pro Reverb with master volume, that was 40 watts and it sufficed. Nowadays I am at 40 watts with my Hot Rod Deluxe but my go to amp for daily practice is the 15 watt Egnater Tweaker Head (turned way down) However it is deluxe reverb loud or even a bit louder tuned up, so I could probably play out in a mid sized room if I cranked it.

Two non-reverb Princetons, one blackface and one silverface, got a guy I played with louder than my 60 watt Boogie. They can make a system that would compete just fine with any single amp. I know that to be true because I saw it happen.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Per the aspect of smaller amps: there's an aspect beyond loudness: multiple sound sources can be used as stereo, either same as sound or as diff sounds.

One might even go with more than 2 in order to develop that tack further, switching emphasis in a way that could be more subtle than pedals, or in addition to pedals.

d=halfnote

I like the aspect of just being able to pack a smaller lighter amp around and can get the sound I want in mono. Packing two amps kind of defeats the purpose for me, but +1 I could see doing it if you are into stereo! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Yes the Princeton has been a lauded design since introduced.

I wish I'd had one but when I was starting (early 1970s) they were viewed as practice amps & I needed to play clubs where yer amp was what got you heard.

Unbeknownst to me, cats like Clapton were using them to record.

In a discussion about the Fender Supersonic amps the other day I mentioned that it has one lo gain Fender classic channel, and one channel that is Fender getting in on the cascading overdrive that Mesa Boogie created out of Fender circuits... this confused someone, and I surprised them by telling them and linking to the history of Mesa Boogie, which started as Hot Rodding Princetons and goosing the power up and installing a high power 12" speaker, and people like Carlos Santana loved them and used them... and they began creating their own amps from scratch when Fender refused to sell them anymore Princetons once the modded ones got so popular.

And Morgan amps are terrific.

Two amps move twice the air.

Yep, and two speakers move twice as much air as one, depending on the efficiency and construction and power rating...

and a 100-watt amp is only so much more powerful in reality than a 15-watt amp... I'm sure someone can give us the relevant physics lesson...

I like the aspect of just being able to pack a smaller lighter amp around and can get the sound I want in mono. Packing two amps kind of defeats the purpose for me, but +1 I could see doing it if you are into stereo! :cool:

My twin tiny 33 lb. 25-watt, 1 x 10" Supro Supremes are lighter and easier to move and deal with as a pair than any single combo I've ever had... of course, just one is loud and full-sounding enough for any gig I've played... but I have two!

Also, there's something about that circuit... it sounds good at any volume, so my Deluxe Reverb using pals who are starting to get grief from singers about their stage volume when they get the amp to the point where it's really flowing are getting curious about them after hearing me use them.

Just curious.

When you try out a new(to you) amp, what do you look for? And...how do you try it out?

With your own instrument

With the store's stuff

Take it home and try it out

And what tones/volume/reverb/distortion do you want?

These days, honestly? Reviews and demo videos... especially from regular joes who are using the amps.

My twin tiny 33 lb. 25-watt, 1 x 10" Supro Supremes are lighter and easier to move and deal with as a pair than any single combo I've ever had... of course, just one is loud and full-sounding enough for any gig I've played... but I have two!

Also, there's something about that circuit... it sounds good at any volume, so my Deluxe Reverb using pals who are starting to get grief from singers about their stage volume when they get the amp to the point where it's really flowing are getting curious about them after hearing me use them.

I like my Hot Rod Deluxe 112 tuber at 40lbs and 40watts. It's what I need to play clean and stay in the mix at higher stage volumes and can be turned down to an acoustic guitar level in the bedroom. Easy to sing over or along with and I've never annoyed any other singers with it. It's easy to pack around. Many 30 watt tuber combos weigh the same or even more than my 40. I can get by with a 30 too.

A little overdriven 7watt amp can dust me but not on the clean settings! I have some smaller lightweight SS amps with smaller speakers that I use for small venues and in the bed room music room. I prefer a single 12" speaker though. Just got to learn to use the volume knobs on the amp and on the guitar IMHO. High gain blues and rock players just need enough to break things up and make their amps sing, but sometimes they can't get their volumes back down when the singers need them to. That's when pedals can come in handy and let you wail at lower stage volumes...I'm sure those Supros do a great job too! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I like the Deluxe... it's become one of the standard default backline amps, along with Twins, that you get offered for things everywhere, and I actually tell younger dudes to learn to get "their sound" from a HR Deluxe and a Twin because at some point they will probably have to use them if they play at even the local festivals.

A Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue. The limited edition ones with a 12 inch speaker. They make different ones for different dealers, I like the Sweetwater edition with the Cannabis Rex speaker. For now I'm more than happy with my Supersonic 22 combo.

On second thought my new amp would be another Supersonic. A much more versatile amp for the same price, even lower price on the used market.

I just bought a used SuperSonic. These days there's no reason you can't have an amp that has great cleans, great dirt and at the volume of your choosing. Not all Fenders can claim this but the SuperSonic can, though you have to tweak it.

Also look into Marshall, Vox and Orange.

I got Roland CUBE-10GX. It is very small and easy to carry around. I sometimes teach a studio which does not have a amp, so this portable amp helps me a lot so far. It also has a clean sound with some effects.

I just hope that it last long. One of my friends gave me a mini Marchall amp and it broke down within a month...

Kenji

Archived