Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More Ry Cooder / what's this gtr setup ?

d  halfnote

Not to flood the market but this diverges from the other thread I started.

Take a look at the gtr RPC's using here.

Who makes 'em & while I get the idea of doubling some string ranges, it looks like he's only doubled the 3rd string here.

:idk

Ideas ?

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 9 string. I remember Vox made a 9 string electric in the 60s. Judging from what looks like a cheap stamped metal tailpiece, a slot headstock, & lack of fancy binding, I'm guessing it's pre-war vintage.

What's with the alto sax sound? Sounds like another slide guitar part, like I'm hearing double stops?

Scott Fraser

It looks like he's only using 7 of the 9 strings. Reminds me of the Roger McGuinn 7 string made by Martin with the doubled 3rd concept...couldn't figure out that sax either playing on the down low, but it sounded OK. :cool:

ps. I liked the sound of that sound hole pickup...

Take care, Larryz

Yes, Ry likes old gear but the look of that gtr's headstock shape is modern & I can't think of ant trad design involving double string courses only on 1/2 the instrument. :idk

In checking this I've read of some gtrs that fit that concept but the all seem to be relatively recent [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-string_guitar ]

I don't really think of this as a 9 string gtr, although I guess it is.[*]

Still the mystery is why only double the 3rd string ?!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Re the sax, he seems mostly to be matching the bs rhythmically & doing swervey volume swells in lower range. I didn't catch anything yet up in the treble.

---------------------------------------------------

[*] Here's what I thought a 9 string gtr was...& that cat tricked that thing up on his own !

Dig the shots of the headstock [4:35~45] & the fretboard [best seen abt 6:50~7:15]

Note that Crazy Joe (read the Mike Bloomfield book ME & BIG JOE to understand :D) doubled the 1, 2 &, uh, 4 :idk

d=halfnote

Scott and everyone else who said it is a 9 String are correct; it's definitely a vintage traditional instrument, headstock and all, probably early '20s, they used doubled-courses for the higher trebles, with single bass-strings- quite different from the way typical 12-String guitars are strung and tuned.

Ry just strung it with 7 strings, with a two-string course for the 3rd and 4th strings, tuned however he saw (heard?) fit. They look like the same gauges, probably doubled, in unison, possibly a little de-tuned? I'll give it a more betterer listen laterer on...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

As I couldn't see any clip posted by d, I'm not sure if any of them showed anything about the only 9-string guitar I've ever heard about(and first heard about) for years....

The one JOHN MAYALL supposedly made for himself.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Alvarez made a 9-string Steel-string back in the late 80's or early 90's. Didn't sell well.

Personally, I like the 9-string concept, just don't want to screw up the neck tension on a 12-string to make one.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

As I couldn't see any clip posted by d, I'm not sure if any of them showed anything about the only 9-string guitar I've ever heard about(and first heard about) for years....

The one JOHN MAYALL supposedly made for himself.

Whitefang

Yeah, that was based on the old vintage ones that were used by some Bluesmen. Coming from the same direction.

Scott and everyone else who said it is a 9 String are correct; it's definitely a vintage traditional instrument, headstock and all, probably early '20s, they used doubled-courses for the higher trebles, with single bass-strings- quite different from the way typical 12-String guitars are strung and tuned.

Ry just strung it with 7 strings, with a two-string course for the 3rd and 4th strings, tuned however he saw (heard?) fit. They look like the same gauges, probably doubled, in unison, possibly a little de-tuned? I'll give it a more betterer listen laterer on...

Hmmm.

Most of the 9 strings I've found looking into this are single string course instruments, although there are others like the basic design of what RC's playing, w/doubled strings on 1/2 the gtr.

Not a big point but to me that's functionally a 6 string gtr, in the same way a 12 string is: it's duplication of notes rather than a sort of realignment of the neck.

As to the particular instr he's using, his penchant for vintage gear's real but I've yet to find an image of one w/that head shape.

Also, I don't see any doubled string other than the 3rd.... :idk

Reminds me of the Roger McGuinn 7 string made by Martin with the doubled 3rd concept...

Tell us more...

d=halfnote

Reminds me of the Roger McGuinn 7 string made by Martin with the doubled 3rd concept...

Tell us more...

I think it was around 2005 or so, that Roger McGuinn asked Martin to build him a 7 string guitar. They produced a signature HD-7 model for him. It has a double 3rd string set up. 3 tuning pegs on top of the head stock and 4 across the bottom. It has an additional hole cut in the pin bridge with a saddle cut for the extra 3rd string. It is set up just like a 12 with the two strings being an octave apart. It can get the signature sound of Mr. Tambourine Man like a 12 while allowing the rest of the strings to escape the double sound. This is for string bending and more 6 string sound when wanted on the bass and treble strings. It also allowed Roger to just pack one guitar on the plane instead of a 12 and a 6 string. I'll let him explain it here:

I think Caevan was right on Ry's guitar as the two 3rd strings appear to be the same size so they would not be tuned an octave apart like a 12 string guitar. They would probably be used to just increase the sound of the 3rd string volume wise or perhaps something to do with picking techniques (I'm guessing)...they could be tuned a 3rd or a 5th apart but I'm doubting that they would be for some reason? Playing slide, I'm guessing Ry just wants more of that 3rd string sound in the mids... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Hmmm.

Most of the 9 strings I've found looking into this are single string course instruments, although there are others like the basic design of what RC's playing, w/doubled strings on 1/2 the gtr.

Not a big point but to me that's functionally a 6 string gtr, in the same way a 12 string is: it's duplication of notes rather than a sort of realignment of the neck.

As to the particular instr he's using, his penchant for vintage gear's real but I've yet to find an image of one w/that head shape.

Also, I don't see any doubled string other than the 3rd.... :idk

Tell us more...

Lyon & Healy #1201 9 String Acoustic Flat Top Guitar, c. 1921 that was for sale on Reverb dot com

tkzunaq53jckrngukqwn.jpgq5j2wk58kq5d5wie6lkw.jpg

Archived