Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Music Theory Joke

Eric Iverson

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good one............................................

Only marred by the presumption, made by most ppl, that "theory" denotes speculation when, in fact, the word "hypothesis" = speculative & "theory" = tested & accepted as fact.

Sorry, man, but that misapplication always makes my teeth grind! :pop:

:D

d=halfnote

That was actually the POINT of the joke, that some people don't understand what 'theory' means in a scientific context; and say you can't teach certain things in school because it's "only a theory".

I'll spare you all the details - gets into religion/politics and all that.

That was actually the POINT of the joke, that some people don't understand what 'theory' means in a scientific context; and say you can't teach certain things in school because it's "only a theory".

I'll spare you all the details - gets into religion/politics and all that.

I have seen the same comments with regard to improvisation. How can you teach one to improvise? Never mind learning the scales and intervals that matter in theory... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Good one............................................

Only marred by the presumption, made by most ppl, that "theory" denotes speculation when, in fact, the word "hypothesis" = speculative & "theory" = tested & accepted as fact.

Sorry, man, but that misapplication always makes my teeth grind! :pop:

:D

:like:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Yeah, well too, EVOLUTION is supposed to be a "theory", but it being "taught" caused a lot of uproar. You can't really learn or prove or disprove an idea without KNOWING what the idea is to begin with, can you?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived