Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please help with keyboard identification - Steve Nieve

macca

I'm no vintage keys expert, so is there anyone here who could please identify this keyboard sitting on top of a Vox Super Continental?

I believe Steve Nieve used it quite a bit in the late 70s with Elvis Costello & The Attractions, but I was unable to find any info on it.

Thanks very much

http://i67.tinypic.com/2ik5bn7.png

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks somewhat, but not quite, like the Korg Polyphonic Ensemble S, a vintage string machine.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/sites/default/files/2017-05/korg_poly_ensemble_s_pe2000.jpg

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Bobby,

Funny you posted while I was writing. That's the synth I had. Seemed decent at the time but pretty ghastly in retrospect.

Greg

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Yes, Korg Poly Ensemble P. I got a lot of use out of mine. The other was the Poly Ensemble S, which was more of a String machine. The P had more percussive sounds. Nice harpsichord, IIRC.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Bobby,

Funny you posted while I was writing. That's the synth I had. Seemed decent at the time but pretty ghastly in retrospect.

Greg

Don't they all? Of course, you can always find a quirky spot to use them. Sparingly, please.

I did get a chuckle out of this, I don't think I'll be needing it anytime soon. The Korg is probably represented here:

UVI Vintage String Machines

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

The dials were a tell to me! Does look like it's from the planet Roland... yep I agree it may be a Roland ...also the general materials of the instrument look that way to to me! Also the Cream/Brown/Yellow push buttons....Roland used that color scheme!

Then again, it may be an Edsel . . .

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Didn't Roland tend to use sliders more during that era?

This is the era of Rolands I think would most closely match:

3e765494c6169a0eb891fe0b7d7a22f3--music-gadgets-electronic-music.jpg

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yes, thanks, I was looking all over for a matching photo and couldn't find one. I had originally assumed it was a suitcase EP, but was looking for a matching Rhodes. I should have been looking in the Roland camp.

Mystery apparently solved. Thanks again.

Archived