Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recording keys tracks use with live band

kingy75

Hi all,

I've been asked to record some keys tracks for use with a live band who don't have a keys player. My questions are:

* Say, for example, a keyboard part doesn't come in until halfway through a song, should I just start my track there? They don't need click tracks from me so I'm not sure how to approach this. It doesn't make sense to me to leave silence for half the song in the track so I assume if I start right from where the keys start they can line everything up on their end. Does that make sense?

* What format would I be best supplying the finished tracks in? .WAV? .MP3? Whatever DAW they're using?

Thanks everyone :)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suggest you discuss these questions with the band that requested the backing tracks.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

I've never used or created backing tracks myself, but the band I joined used them while they were looking for a keyboard player (which turned out to be me). Here is how they did it:

* The drummer wore headphones and played to a click track so everything synced.

* Each track had an 8 count lead-in.

* Regardless of when the keyboards and other sounds came in, the backing track started at the beginning of the song and continued throughout so everything lined up.

* The tracks were in m4a format.

* The band had to learn the song to match the track and play it the same way every time.

Regarding your question - to start a backing track in the middle of a song, the drummer would have to keep the correct tempo to match the track without a click and someone would have to trigger the track at exactly the right time.

I would think that there are other ways to go about it that may be better for your situation.

EDIT:

I'm assuming that when you say "tracks" you are referring to ongoing keyboard parts that are played over the course of multiple consecutive measures and/or throughout the entire song. If you're talking about triggering samples of brief riffs or just an intro, that's a different topic.

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Regardless of count-in or click track, etc, whatever they give you just make sure your 0:00:00 is theirs. Start your track there whether you're actually playing anything at the very top or not. It will line up perfectly.

WAVs is fairly universal.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I love people coming to ask keyboard players for advice to put keyboard players out of work.

Maybe if you have to ask, you're not the right person for the gig?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just going to go buy a DJ controller and call it a day.

:wave:

What sagetunes said....make sure you're all starting at the same 0 or 1. I usually send the drummer some sort of percussion track instead of 1/4 clicks. Could be shakers or conga etc with 1/8 or 1/16 pattern; maybe even a tambo hitting on 2 and 4 during some sections coming through his monitor. Makes it easier for him to just groove. He has to be in time with you.

Archived