Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Switching percussion settings (Harmonics)

Dave Bryce

How often do you guys find yourself changing from 2nd to 3rd percussion in the same tune?

I've never really done it before as a planned move during a tune, and something inspired me to try it on a track I'm working on right now...and I love it. Used the 3rd for doubling low guitar lead lines, and the 2nd for stabbed chords during the verse and outro solo. Went (almost) full bars in the lower manual for the choruses.

Is this a commonly used technique that I've just managed to not come across? :idk:

Honestly, most of the real time changes I make to the Hammond are drawbar related - I don't have a lot of schooling when it comes to real time changes to any of the percussion tabs...or the C/V settings,for that matter - usually whatever I set all of those for at the top of the tune is where they stay.

There's a rough mix of the track in question here, if you want to check it out. The Hammond is intentionally mixed a bit loud.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh you crazy kid. :taz::hitt:

I know, right? I admit it freely - I needs to know more...can't learn if ya don't ask... :poke:

My favorite percussion trick to date has been to set the bars to 888000004 so that when I flick the 3rd harmonic off mid-tune I get a bit of that 1" shine instead of just the standard 888000000.

I'm way digging the 838330000 setting with the 2nd harmonic percussion, too. :boing:

dB

I don't use percussion much, but I might try some of these ideas next time I'm spinning some tonewheels. :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Great stuff db! reading the title of the thread made me think of this. Be gentle here. This is '71/'72 and I'm maybe 18. This is done with a L111 and a 147. On the L you could hit the perc and get THIS type of effect. I'd hit 2nd and hit the leslie and then hit 3rd and spin. Only one this one verse at the end. I've got 40 secs of pre-roll to put it in context. hammond on the left and rhodes on the right. I think this was the first time I ever recorded on a rhodes. Shucks I'm old!! Like a said...this is 40some years ago and a bit goofy, but since we're talking' Hammond percussion tricks. :)...oh and that's Southside Johnny.

Switched percussion harmonics since my first Hammond back in 1981. That is a Porta-B (still have it) which has 2nd, 3rd, and 5th harmonics. I think the L-100 was the only other Hammond to have 5th harmonics, and the Porta-B is an L under the hood.

I believe Gregg Allman switches in the solo for Elizabeth Reed. Primarily he's a 3rd harmonic kind of guy, but when he goes to the 2nd, it's a nice flavor change. Not sure if it's the studio version or the Fillmore version....I'll do some listening!

It's one of those things that the audience probably doesn't ever notice...like when guitarists switch pickup settings.

I believe Gregg Allman switches in the solo for Elizabeth Reed. Primarily he's a 3rd harmonic kind of guy, but when he goes to the 2nd, it's a nice flavor change. Not sure if it's the studio version or the Fillmore version....I'll do some listening!

It's one of those things that the audience probably doesn't ever notice...like when guitarists switch pickup settings.

Makes sense. :idea:

It's so nice, though - the 3rd was too much for the little stabs I have in those reggae-ish verses and under the end solo, even with the Soft tab engaged. The 2nd is just right though....but doesn't work anywhere near as well as the 3rd for the nasty little melody lines. Hence the switch. :idk:

FWIW, the clav in the verses is the Mojo61. EP sound is the Forte.

dB

Great stuff db! (snip)

...oh and that's Southside Johnny.

This is one of the things I love about this forum. A thread is started about changing percussion settings on a Hammond organ and we get a deep track of Southside Johnny that I had never heard before. :2thu::cheers:

:nopity:

Haha..we were kids. Johnny was maybe 23 here. I can't remember. I met him when Steel Mill was opening for Mitch Rider and Johnny was playing with Steel Mill that night. This is a couple years before "Greetings", then the rest is History.... We played together for close to 2 years I think. Kind of fuzzy, as you can imagine. I've got a bunch of tunes we recorded back then. That was done on a Scully 1" 8trk and the board was one that Tom Dowd had in Studio B @ Criteria. Story goes that tunes like I Feel Good and Rainy Night in Georgia were recorded on it. That's me in the front on the left and Southside in the back on the right. :)

http://www.linwoodbell.com/clientdownloads/Studio%20B.jpg

OT now (sorry dB) but that looks like Vinni Lopez bottom right. Damn, Linwood, you are more famous than I even thought you were. :)

Kind of fuzzy, as you can imagine.

I don't have to imagine. ;)

:nopity:

That's Mike Deep (rip) bottom right. What a great guy he was. Great guitar player; wonderful on slide. Mike went on to do a couple of cd's where he played harp. (not harmonica) I remember when Vinney "got in trouble" with some weed and he slept on my parent's couch for a few days til the heat lifted.

HAHAHA...too funny. That was a lifetime ago, but such a great memory for me. We're lucky to cross so many musical paths and play off of so many... but dig that console!

http://linwoodbell.com/clientdownloads/Stav.jpg

I believe Gregg Allman switches in the solo for Elizabeth Reed.

I thought all of Liz Reed was with the 2nd percussion. Will have give another listen.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

I am trying to sort out how I feel about Linwood being better at everything at 18 than I am now.

It is not pretty.

You and me both man. Damn.

I'd like to tell you that you get used to it over time...but you don't. The brother has forgotten more than I know. :idk::idea:

dB

I am trying to sort out how I feel about Linwood being better at everything at 18 than I am now.

It is not pretty.

You and me both man. Damn.

Yeah, but you're a hell of a lot closer to 18 than I am.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

How often do you guys find yourself changing from 2nd to 3rd percussion in the same tune?

I've never really done it before as a planned move during a tune, and something inspired me to try it on a track I'm working on right now...and I love it. Used the 3rd for doubling low guitar lead lines, and the 2nd for stabbed chords during the verse and outro solo. Went (almost) full bars in the lower manual for the choruses.

Is this a commonly used technique that I've just managed to not come across? :idk:

Honestly, most of the real time changes I make to the Hammond are drawbar related - I don't have a lot of schooling when it comes to real time changes to any of the percussion tabs...or the C/V settings,for that matter - usually whatever I set all of those for at the top of the tune is where they stay.

There's a rough mix of the track in question here, if you want to check it out. The Hammond is intentionally mixed a bit loud.

dB

Dave, the 3rd where you double the guitar line sounds just like the low settings in Green Eyed Lady. Love that sound......

Dave, the 3rd where you double the guitar line sounds just like the low settings in Green Eyed Lady. Love that sound......

You and me both... :w00t:

I have the bars set to 836221120. When I switch to the 2nd in the verses, you can hear it a bit more clearly. Slightly tweaked full bars (w/C1) on the lower manual for the choruses.

Another factor is that the Hammond is on a different floor of the house than the studio; consequently, unless I have someone doing tape op for me, I tend to go for end to end takes rather than trying to do punches.

The messed up thing is that I kinda like that. :D

dB

I love the song Green Eyed Lady. Completely separate from that, I have damned good memories associated with the tune.

Don't 'cha hate it when you break up with a girl and it ruins a perfectly good tune with bad associations? I managed to avoid that.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Good for you, I'm only now getting to the point where I can consider playing "One Headlight".

"Cinderella" was a bat-shit crazy full on nutter.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived