Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is a wolf/dingo/jackal smarter?

I'd dare say that the incredible golden retriever, Dixie, that I had for 13 years was a highly intelligent dog and light years smarter than my friend's pekinese. Got to thinking. Do you think that a wolf, dingo, jackal, wild dog... the indigenous ones, would "smarter" than modern breeds of dogs? Do you think that there are any modern breeds of dogs that are smarter than wolves/dingos/jackals?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought Benji sorta kicked ass for a little feller.

I also think "dingo" is just a cool word to drop in at random spots in any given conversation.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

When I was a kid, neighbors of mine found a stray Black Lab that they took in. The dog was street smart. It could open pretty much any gate.She also could open doors. The dog used its mouth, paws, claws, whatever. It came and went as it pleased. Sometimes she would 'free' other dogs in the area and go gallivanting. We often found her 'chilling' on the best lawn on the block, again, after she opened the gate. She crossed roads by checking for cars just like a person. She regularly crossed a main highway (3 lanes each direction).

She never bit anyone, never chased anyone. Only barked when she was making a point. Not a trick dog, but she could catch a frisbee. I don't recall her ever 'fetching' anything. The dog always seemed human to us. A smart human at that.

The smartest animal I ever saw. Breed? Maybe. I'm sure it ties in with that survival of the fittest thing. Then again, some people like their animal pets to be dumb. So those traits will carry on in domesticated animals as well.

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Originally posted by Silent Bob:

:freak:

Point is, there are dog breeds that are smarter than other dog breeds. So, are the original canines the smartest?
In their own habitat yes.

It's got nothing to do with being smart. It's genetics and instinct.

If Labradors or retrievers would be smarter in the wild than evolution would have caused dogs like them to rule the plains instead of dingos.

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Originally posted by boosh:

In their own habitat yes. It's got nothing to do with being smart. It's genetics and instinct. If Labradors or retrievers would be smarter in the wild than evolution would have caused dogs like them to rule the plains instead of dingos.

It has everything to do with habitat. The latter wouldn't exist except for man.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Originally posted by boosh:

In their own habitat yes. It's got nothing to do with being smart. It's genetics and instinct. If Labradors or retrievers would be smarter in the wild than evolution would have caused dogs like them to rule the plains instead of dingos.

It has everything to do with habitat. The latter wouldn't exist except for man.
That's what I meant,... if domestic types would be better adapted in the wild,nature would have made sure that wild dogs looked like chiuwah wahs instead of dingos. By the way,.. I hate all domestic breeds. I hate dogs!! not by nature but just because I've lived in Amsterdam for so many years. Dogshit everywhere

Fan, nu pissar jag taggtråd igen. Jag skulle inte satt på räpan.

http://www.bushcollectors.com

Archived