Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prince playing some stone country gtr

d  halfnote

I keep a file here for cool tracks we come across but, for those who don't chk it, decided to pop this one up as we're 2 days from 2 yrs.

Many are aware of PRN's ability to play, on various instruments, in a generically wide range but despite the structural elements of something like "Purple Rain", I'd never heard him play straight country music until I happened across this recording recently.

Yes, that gtr you hear off camera starting @ 0:45 is PRN & he keeps that up, as you'll see/hear til 2:40 when, for whatever reason, he flips back to rock mode for the main solo.

If only he'd played it straight alla way !

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yicgrbe7gzw

As Ms Crow said, "The artist formerly known as "A-a-AA-a-a aa, hey yeah-ayeah !"

d=halfnote

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mighty talent, no question.

Would have been interesting to hear him do one of those guitarist & guest vocalists albums such as been done by the likes of Tony Iommi and Santana.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Odd that(maybe not) this is posted on a day when the radio is rife with reporting about results in the investigation of his death.

The contention now is that he took an "artificial" form of Vicodin containing fentanyl unawares. Like in somebody giving it to him without him knowing it was fentanyl.

Still no word as to whether it's believed THAT was intentional or not, or whom that individual might have been.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

A mighty talent, no question.

Would have been interesting to hear him do one of those guitarist & guest vocalists albums such as been done by the likes of Tony Iommi and Santana.

He did a fair amount of stage collabs [everyone from S Crow to MJackson & James Brown (yes !!!)]. One could collect that material.

What's a bit odd to me is that no one seems surprised at those licks coming from his fingers.

I'm fairly sure that's the only time he played like that publically.

1st time I heard it, it was, "Dang ! What ?"

d=halfnote

And lately, I HAVE been wondering if "stone" :rolleyes: country is the same as "country/rock"? ;)

Or was an anachronistic mid to late '60's "urban" slang term being resurrected? :poke:

Whitefang

Could be that it's been more than FORTY FIVE YEARS since I've heard ANYBODY use it.

NOTE:

My original response to this thread was intended to point out the coincidence in that NOBODY mentioned ANYTHING about Prince for a couple of years in this and several other forums, but on a day, when out of the blue, the RADIO was filled with a news story concerning the man's death and the possibility that he ws either given a fentanyl based pain killer by mistake or possibly intentionally, only to check into this forum and find someone posting something ELSE about Prince, too much "Twilight Zone" like to NOT mention. Plus I didn't know if anyone else was aware of that news and thought it'd be interesting to some. And possibly MORE interesting than Prince having played country guitar somewhere once.

And WHO'S this "we" you refer to?

Have other forum members complained to you about my posts?

Or you and a couple of your other personalities.....

...or the VOICES in your head?

Whitefang

Nice. Well played performance, by all hands on deck.

Hehhehhehh... ! Peter Stroud- "NOW I've gotta play some kinda outro-leads following PRICE playing flashy leads all over 'n' singing harmony 'n' $h!+... !!" Naaa, he handled THAT with perfect aplomb, a consummate, seasoned pro.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Could be that it's been more than FORTY FIVE YEARS since I've heard ANYBODY use it.

Well, we know yer not really out & about much.

My original response to this thread was intended to point out the coincidence in that NOBODY mentioned ANYTHING about Prince for a couple of years in this and several other forums, but on a day, when out of the blue, the RADIO was filled with a news story concerning the man's death and the possibility that he ws either given a fentanyl based pain killer by mistake or possibly intentionally, only to check into this forum and find someone posting something ELSE about Prince, too much "Twilight Zone" like to NOT mention. Plus I didn't know if anyone else was aware of that news and thought it'd be interesting to some. And possibly MORE interesting than Prince having played country guitar somewhere once.

Still as irrelevant as before.

WHO'S this "we" you refer to?

A common editorial reference/practice.

Yes, as well as to you yourself.

I suggest you find places where you might actually have something to say rather than just keep spluttering defensively here.

d=halfnote

Nice. Well played performance, by all hands on deck.

Hehhehhehh... ! Peter Stroud- "NOW I've gotta play some kinda outro-leads following PRICE playing flashy leads all over 'n' singing harmony 'n' $h!+... !!" Naaa, he handled THAT with perfect aplomb, a consummate, seasoned pro.

While I've always liked that cat's playing (although I only know him in the context of Crow's band), I never knew his name.

Thanks, CO'S !

FWIW, here's a diff, funkier take on the same tune that highlights Stroud & his glass finger.

[video:youtube]

d=halfnote

Yes, as well as to you yourself.

Actually YOU'RE the only one that's complained to me personally.

And really, if you wish to run ramrod over your own thread, then it's your privilege. But of course, that also means when OTHERS do so, you've got no room to bitch about it. ;)

Whitefang

Actually YOU'RE the only one that's complained to me personally.

And really, if you wish to run ramrod over your own thread, then it's your privilege. But of course, that also means when OTHERS do so, you've got no room to bitch about it.

You conveniently ignore the similar contretemps you've had w/other members over the years such as Fred abt a year ago, based on the exact behaviour you're inflicting on us here.

I mention that b/c it's public record but I've also had PMs from others who find you annoying, that includes notices from admins of this forum abt 1 year back concerning your sniping at me & your temp banning from here...so cut the innocent act.

You keep bringing up things completely irrelevant to subject(s) at hand but consider yerself justified since you seem to have a need to either blather abt something or perhaps just annoy those who want to avoid you.

Then you flip that into attacking others, only to whine that yer under attack when they reply.

You are, in effect, a troll...but of course you never get it.

Are you done here ?

Can we get back to the subject ?

:idk

d=halfnote

Here's some news:

Just announced by Atom Factory, the company that's recently taken on handling some aspects of the PRN estate, under the control of Comerica Bank [http://variety.com/2017/music/news/prince-estate-troy-carter-spotify-1202027998/] plans new release(s) starting in Sept this year.

Prince's library of unreleased but mastered material is reportedly huge....although the existence of any more country style tracks is unlikely. :D

d=halfnote

Archived