Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Spring Fever

Eric Iverson

Now that it's spring (though it's a little slow in getting to 60 degrees here in NYC), I'm start to suffer a little from "Spring Fever" - it's too nice to be inside...

So in spring, a young man turns to thoughts of love, and old men turn to thoughts of playing flute or mandolin in the park (no guitar..... too many drunks want to play it...)

Seriously, do you guys have any special "rites of spring" you'd care to share with the rest of us?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that it's spring (though it's a little slow in getting to 60 degrees here in NYC), I'm start to suffer a little from "Spring Fever" - it's too nice to be inside...

So in spring, a young man turns to thoughts of love, and old men turn to thoughts of playing flute or mandolin in the park (no guitar..... too many drunks want to play it...)

Seriously, do you guys have any special "rites of spring" you'd care to share with the rest of us?

Bring a Shakuhachi; if all else fails, they're useful in close combat. Moving on . . .

I'm a home gardener, and a landscaper, so this is a busy time for me, overall. One ritual I have is Stick Day, where I go out with my dogs, and pick up all the little sticks and deadfall around my back yard. I don't try to get every stick, or I'd never come back inside, but it gets me looking at the ground, to see what's happening at my feet, and it's a slow, meditative activity, not a "Gotta catch 'em all!" fixation.

Much of my outdoor activity in Spring is just watching.

Down here by D.C., the Cherry Blossoms are still going full blast, so that's just beautiful. My big Tulip Magnolia made it through the last blast of cold and snow, and is just giving up it's blooms. I've been checking for new growth on late bloomers like the Crepe Myrtle and the Hydrangeas, and watching the Hosta tips poking out, while looking for the Painted Ferns. This year, I have a Mason Bee House (shaped like a teardrop, about the size of a regulation Football) that I inherited, along with the resident Mason Bees, and I've been watching them come out in the warmth: they've just discovered the Lilac hedge I put them next to. Every day, there's something new to see, if I keep a close watch.

Indoors, more Music-oriented, I just checked all the little in-case humidifiers in all my Guitars yesterday; that's more of a regular habit than a Spring thing, although a change in the weather always prompts me to check them. I'm getting my gear in order for Robotfest, up near Baltimore, one of my Spring Music rituals. There's usually a neighborhood show in May, and then we're into Summer.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Spring and Fall are my favorite times of the year. Winter is too cold and summers are too hot for the most part. Spring brings me crawling out from under a rock and playing a few open mics like I did last night. I don't play much at parks and have stopped camping so my campfire summer days/nights are now a little bit out of the picture. We get a lot of weeds to mow and spray in the spring to keep the fire danger around the house down with defensible space and leaves to rake up in the fall (that's about the only thing I do not look forward to LOL!). I do find myself playing more guitar in the Spring and Fall due to temps. I don't like wearing a jacket to play with cold fingers in the winter and I don't like sweating all over my guitars in the summer...but I muddle through! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

+1 Larryz, spring and fall are perfect here in the lovely Sonoran Desert. Winters are not too awful bad, and summers are OK (as long as my house and car air conditioners work). I can go outside under my carport even in the heat of summer at 110* and it is not too bad but as soon as I step out from under the awning it is brutal. All in all I prefer the seasons here to any place where the water outside does not stay liquid all year long....

Yeah, Spring is slow coming here too( in MI). Had HUGE flakes of snow just the other day. Kind of reminded me of the "seeding" scene in "The Day Of The Triffids" :D

No big rituals here either. Just glad to give the furnace and gas bill a rest. I have no A/C, so I too, prefer early to mid Spring and early Autumn. Just warm enough and not too cold to be able to open some windows and blow the stink outa the house and still not get too chilled in the process.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived