Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Accessible Guitar Storage

Delta

Some of you might remember that our oceanside condo unit here in Florida was to be completely renovated beginning in September of last year and that my wife and I have been living in her mother's house in the meantime. Well, it's still not done, but getting close. I have 6 guitars and to save space I'd like to have a dresser with 6 separate drawers where each axe will have it's own home. Obviously I'll have a soft liner of some sort in each drawer. This way the guitars are protected from the elements but easily accessible, and I can put all the cases in our storage facility. I've seen some photos regarding this type of guitar storage design on the Internet, but no information regarding who makes these things. Custom cabinet makers I assume. I've been checking possibilities in the area and will start making some phone calls next week. Anybody out there have any experience with this type of design? Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks in advance.
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:cool:

Skip, those look more like CHIFFOROBES than the chest of drawers type of thing the OP mentioned. ;)

But a nice idea regardless. I suppose, if he looks around a bit( some furniture stores, or Ikea or whatnot) he might find what he's looking for and with some little effort convert it to what he's imagining. however.....

I've never seen one, and I'm not sure they MAKE a chest of drawers WIDE enough to lay a guitar inside any of the drawers. But THAT'S no proof that there ISN'T one made that wide. :)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I have seen a glass display/holding case that held 6 or more guitars that looked pretty cool. The nice thing about it is you could put in a humidity sponge and control them all at the same time... :cool:

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/guitar-storage/ <---some cool ideas on this site...

That's one of the sites I was looking at. In the cabinet section, the photo farthest right on the second row is what I'm talking about, but I want 6 drawers.

Certainly-the point of posting those is that, based on the evidence so far, if horizontal storage is the only thing that will suffice, it`s going to cost. Even for an existing cabinet, widening the dimensions and preserving the original look-that`s some coin. Now if the OP`s point is, to have the cabinet be as much a work of art as the guitars, my comments are done.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

:cool:

Skip, those look more like CHIFFOROBES than the chest of drawers type of thing the OP mentioned. ;)

But a nice idea regardless. I suppose, if he looks around a bit( some furniture stores, or Ikea or whatnot) he might find what he's looking for and with some little effort convert it to what he's imagining. however.....

I've never seen one, and I'm not sure they MAKE a chest of drawers WIDE enough to lay a guitar inside any of the drawers. But THAT'S no proof that there ISN'T one made that wide. :)

Whitefang

I've already checked out several furniture stores and websites and there's nothing out there that comes close. I'll have to find a cabinet maker that'll make one for me. I'm sure it'll be expensive but it would be worth it for me for the convenience. Does anybody out there see a problem with storing guitars this way? I've always stored them in a somewhat vertical position.

Actually, it seems most(if not all) guitar cases ARE made for both vertical and/or horizontal storage.

And it too, seemed your "chest of drawers" idea was not only a cool bit of ingenuity, but had practical possibilities as well. But too, so do the enclosed "spice rack" units pictured in the links.

Good luck with it anyway. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived