Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

*please help* is 24 x 24 with 10 foot ceilings too big for my live room?

Hello Everyone, Through some great luck, the amount of space I will have in my studio has doubled! When I re-designed the layout, the live room ended up way larger. Right now the dimentions are 24x24 and 10 feet high. I have only seen the space once, and did not take notice to the wall material. I know it's brick, but I think it is treated with some sort of semi-absorptive covering... soundboard maybe. The ceiling and floor are concrete. I will treat the place with whatever it needs, I just want to make sure I am not fighting an uphill battle from the start. I record mainly rock, hardcore, indie... big, clear drum sounds with just a little ambiance is what I'm looking for. So, the big question... is 24 x 24 too large? Should I take one of the walls in a little? Advice please! THANKS! Greg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Too big? NO! Be thankful for all that space! there's a LOT you can do with it. My major concern would be axial modal response in the room - with two identical dimensions, you're going to have some frequencies being unnaturally emphasized an others cancelling out. You can get around that by building a wall, maybe installing an Iso booth or two, a storage closet for mics, etc. Don't complain too much or some of the people around here who are "space challenged" will organize a lynch mob! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html email: pokeefe777@msn.com

Hey Phill and Everyone, I have an idea... Would it help if I made the one wall I am building cut across the room at an odd angle? It would break up one of those sets of paralell surfaces. In addition, the walls would all be different lengths. Does anyone have experience with studio layout that I could run my plans past? Any help would be so great. THANKS! Greg

<> jeez, here in new york, that one room would command $1500-$2000 bucks a month in rent as a studio aprtment! my not so "live" room, which barely holds a drum kit is a box 5 feet by 5.5 feet by 4.5 feet. we call it the veal pen..... be thankful for so much room! -d. gauss

[quote]Originally posted by method_of_control: [b]Hello Everyone, Through some great luck, the amount of space I will have in my studio has doubled! When I re-designed the layout, the live room ended up way larger. Right now the dimentions are 24x24 and 10 feet high. I have only seen the space once, and did not take notice to the wall material. I know it's brick, but I think it is treated with some sort of semi-absorptive covering... soundboard maybe. The ceiling and floor are concrete. I will treat the place with whatever it needs, I just want to make sure I am not fighting an uphill battle from the start. I record mainly rock, hardcore, indie... big, clear drum sounds with just a little ambiance is what I'm looking for. So, the big question... is 24 x 24 too large? Should I take one of the walls in a little? Advice please! THANKS! Greg[/b][/quote] Sounds like my garage. I agree you gotta mix it up, make it a bit more trapezoidal if all possible. And those mic closets, vocal booths can help break up all those standing waves. Good Luck.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by method_of_control: [b]Hey Phill and Everyone, I have an idea... Would it help if I made the one wall I am building cut across the room at an odd angle? It would break up one of those sets of paralell surfaces. In addition, the walls would all be different lengths. Does anyone have experience with studio layout that I could run my plans past? Any help would be so great. THANKS! Greg[/b][/quote] It would help if you add a vertical tilt to the slanted wall also. Philbo Tangent Music

Archived