Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

DulceLabs.com

Not sure how I missed this one, but it showed up on my NetFlix "suggested" list. Never heard of it, but I've really enjoyed John C. Reilly's movies so I have it whirl. Best I can describe it is: Part "Spinal Tap" and part "Naked Gun".

I will say upfront, if you don't like goofy comedies, "you don't want no part of this s**t". :cool:

[video:youtube]

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, Dewey Cox worked because of the tight references to Walk the Line, the Johnny Cash biopic. Still, some of Walk Hard seemed a little uneven to me, at least compared to Spinal Tap, which still holds up as one of the funniest movies of all time from wire-to-wire (IMHO). But Walk Hard took Walk the Line (a movie I really adore) and took it in some really funny spaces (the Beatles in Yellow Submarinish-animation, for instance). I think the Pet Sounds sessions bit might only really work for those aware of the Beach Boys saga of that period. But Walk Hard is certainly a smart and funny film.

I gotta think it would be difficult to do a music biz send-up after Spinal Tap - I think that film is just uproariously inspired and hilarious.

Not available in Canada :(

That drives me crazy. I see an article or post on a non-US site about something on Netflix and go to check it out.. and it's not there. I also hate it when they fail to tell you it's a non-English movie with English subs. :idk

Funny movie, nowhere near at the level of This Is Spinal Tap though imvho.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Fantastic songs. I believe Marshall Crenshaw wrote some of them. There is a really good NPR Fresh Air interview about the songs in this movie thats worth listening to.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16832411

And:

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17002243

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived