Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Override: Casio Headphone Out disables Speakers: workaround?

Jazz+

I have the new Casio CT-X700 battery powered keyboard with internal speakers. I am getting used to playing it with the split Organ Bass in the left-hand and Vibes or Mellow EP in the right hand. I love the onboard speakers but I also sometimes need an auxiliary out to a small floor amp for more volume. The only auxiliary out is the stereo Headphone

Out jack which disables the speakers when connected. I hate that limitation. Is there any modification or work around that would convert the stereo headphone out jack to act as an auxiliary out so that the internal speakers remain On when running a line out? The comparable Roland Go Piano has a Speaker On Off option in its menu. The Casio does not. It does everything I want it to except this.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wanted to do the same thing on an old Casio PX-500L. I was told it should be easy, but the one tech I had look at it couldn't see an easy way to do it. I hope you have better luck!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think it is not possible... so plan 2: use internal Mellow EP sounding through onboard speakers and Scarbee Rhodes on iPhone 6 out to amplifier. The lack of tine in the Mellow EP sound makes it blendable with the Scarbee.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

I had the same problem with my old FP4, wanting to hear myself through earbuds while not disabling the onboard speakers. In that case, plugging in the headphone into the jack opened a switch within the headphone jack. Opening the switch disconnected the speakers somehow.

Open your keyboard and look at the headphone jack. Is there a contact that disconnects when the plug is inserted? If so, try soldering a wire between the two connections to that contact.

CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Worst case scenario, you can build a quick voltage divider and hang it off the speaker input, feed that to a high-impedance amplifier and add an output jack that mirrors what's on the speaker.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

If you can find a space to mount a small toggle switch, that could be used instead of just shorting out the switch, then one could turn on or off the speakers.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

The comparable Roland Go Piano has a Speaker On Off option in its menu. The Casio does not. It does everything I want it to except this.

To clarify you're correct, the $175 CT-X700 does not do this. The CT-X3000 which is the same price as the Roland does have this ability and much much more. The CT-X5000 also has this ability.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived