Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Discuss Ron Carter

Jazz+

There is so much praise for Hancock on the forum, and I know he is great. But I am curious what T the bass player feels about Ron Carter. I know Ron doesnt have the best intonation and tone, and he has done sessions where he was far from at his best, but I love his time feel on jazz swing and ballads. His pulse and rhythm is so great. I like his use of glissando. He has an amazing drive that convinced me long ago that the bass drives the musical engine more than the drummer.

Of course my favorites are Ray Bron and PC too.

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you mean, this Tee, T?

In any case

I started with Paul Chambers

then Carter

Then Brown

And Richard Davis with Thad and Mel.

I did not notice, or perceive Ron Carter's playing as weak, or off key, ever.

His solos were economical , but his playing with Herbie was synergistic... 1 plus 1 = the sky.

His note choices with Herbie, still fascinate.

His rhythmic feel is off the chart.

Tone is great

I hear ONE Ron, not three ( tone, time, note )

Incomparable is a word for him.

Not either or, regarding drummer driving the train versus Bassist. A marriage.

Ray Brown.. never played with Herbie or Chick aka more modern pianists than Oscar, or am I mistaken?

Its the alchemy between Ron and Herbie that I am obsessive about.

A former friend who Played with some of these stars, said he preferred Ray over Ron.

Another friend liked my playing better than Richard Davis!!! But this guy was not playing full blown jazz with the great Richard.

Most of what I said above points to the ENVIRONMENT these bass players were in when they knocked us on our behinds.

The relationship between piano and bass and drums makes it more a mystery, as it should be.

All great players in your list.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

The last time I saw Ron, he was on piccolo bass and had another upright player in the rhythm role while he soloed. It was during a period when he had returned more to his classical roots, but never did he ever stop grooving!

He was my hero on bass from the beginning, with Charlie Haden and Cecil McBee. Paul Chambers from the older generation, then Stanley Clarke from the next. But Ron Carter was the bridge between all eras.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Some very serious intonation problems on this track, not sure why they even released this: [video:youtube]

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 850 of Harry's solo piano arrangements of standards and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas 

No one bats a thousand. Sometimes acoustical anomalies can distort ones sense of pitch!

A shame though.

I recorded a live show, and was embarrassed to hear my awful pitch... very loud music, in my case, distorts pitch perception. Any scientific data on that one?

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

But that is recorded solo in the studio and it is his album, his name, his reputation. I cannot understand why it was released.

But that is recorded solo in the studio and it is his album, his name, his reputation. I cannot understand why it was released.

That is why even world class musicians need a record producer. Somebody with maybe less talent but good ears would have told him to leave that record on the shelf. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I love this Ron Carter, some of the best bass soloing I have ever heard. Any slight intonation flaws one might detect in this can be forgiven. I wasnt bothered by it in the least on this track. I was enjoying what he was doing so much that it didnt come into my mind.. I have never heard this track till tonight and bravo!Almost everything I love about his playing is on display here. I could listen to this every day. Very inspiring, energetic, playful, joyful, original exciting ideas, 5 stars:

[video:youtube]

That was the last tour I saw him on, promoting his Bach album. I had forgotten about the intonation issues.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Ron is one of my favorite musicians of any instrument. I briefly was a double bass major in college as the program did not accept the electric bass as a valid instrument of study. Unfortunately the school instruments were in such bad shape and the violin/string professor barely could play the instrument, I ended up switching instruments and eventually changing majors. All of this to say that bass and Mr. Carter remain a big inspiration.

Mr. Carters playing with the 2nd great quintet was groundbreaking. Not only anchoring the chaos around him, but implying new tonal centers at the same time.

I highly recommend Dan Ouellettes bio of Ron Carter- Ron Carter: Finding the Right Notes.

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Archived