Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nicer action, older DP, Newer DP better sound. Preference?

Gary75

I'm in the market for a DP, but I can't stretch to the latest and greatest like a CP4 and it's relative competitors. I have to choose between a newer board with latest sounds but not a top notch action, or an older DP with a nice action but not as quality sound wise.

I did own a Yamaha Grantouch digital grand but it was too big for the house. But it was such a nice action, the samples equated to something like 3MB. Didn't seem to matter because the playability was so good.

Given you had to make choice, would you opt for recent piano sample technology, so so action, or older piano with older sample set but a great action. I'm thinking some of the older Kawai, Yamaha boards

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it more satisfying to play a board that feels great even if it has only average sound, rather than a board with superior sound that doesn't feel as good. Plus you can always improve the sound by driving software, you can't do anything about the action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It's the action, to me, and its totally subjective.

I have Roland RD300 from the 80's, actually have 2 of them. It's my fave DP of all time---and its considered not very good by today's standards. When they keep selling them used for 200.00, I keep buying them.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I do this. If all I need is Piano I still take my old S90XS. I like it better than the RH3.

I'm officially too damn old to carry the MP8II. It stays home.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I haven't gotten rid of my RD700GX even though I've been tempted many times, because, gosh darn it, I enjoy practicing/playing piano on it. I haven't taken it out to gig with since I got my PX5S this summer, but as long as I continue to feel positive about the feel (and I do like the piano sound just fine), it's been hard to justify replacing the Roland with anything.

I say, find an action/form factor you love and keep it around until you find something better. As you say, if you need to chase the dragon with regards to sounds, you're only a MIDI cable away.

I tried out, and returned (much to the astonishment of our fellow forum- mites), the $1500 Roland FA-07 because I preferred the action of my old $300 Yamaha Piaggero. But of course, that board has and is marketed as having semi weighted action.

Of course, it's all subjective, but IMHO:

The best keyboard feel and connection for DP: Casio PX-5..Just not overwhelmed by the sound, but love playing it and all its features, and the price-especially if you can find a used one-is more than reasonable.

My favorite less cheapo keyboard, (although it's semi weighted) that I really like feel/connection of is the very old Roland EP-9..The Yamaha Piaggero- a close second..

I think something along the lines of a used Yamaha CP33 would be good if you're looking for a stage piano. Squeezed a lot of good years out of that board, much lighter and better sounding than the RD700SX I was toting around before that.

Any of the Casio PX series are a great value. Same action across the line just pay more for different sounds and features.

For me touch/action is more important. Never liked the action on Roland RD series, Yamaha and Casio PX are much better for me. I can always midi to Pianoteq if I want a great sound.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

If you want the CP4 you need not pay $1999 for it.

Is was $2299 just a few seasons ago and they come up mildest used for resale often for between $1 and $1.7k.

There were nice things about the predecessor CP5. The CP1 is just too expensive.

There is also Yamahas P-255 which I am certain you can find lightly used for about $1k. Outfitted with stand and triple pedal probably for about $1299.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I agree on the action before sound comments. I have an old Yamaha P250, and to me it just clicks when the action combines with the internal speakers. I connect my iPad with Korg Module and the Ivory samples on top and I'm good sound-wise.
"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

I want it for stage use but also for hand rehabilitation at home. Something I can just switch on and practice, so want speakers. I suppose the argument is there for do I really need such a detailed piano sample set for band work where the nuances are lost anyway. Granted for Solo/Duo work it would be nice.

So I'll concentrate on action first, something that's been out within the last 7-8 years, used.

If you want the CP4 you need not pay $1999 for it.

...There is also Yamahas P-255

one big difference is that, if your focus is action, you can't get he CP4 action in anything less expensive than a CP4, whereas if you like the P255's action, you can also find it in P155 and others.

want speakers

that cuts down the options, of course. Many brands have never offered their best actions in any of their slab models that have speakers.

If you want the option of playing better (i.e. laptop-based) sounds through those speakers, you need to also have a line input (aka aux input) feature (and a way to stop the internal sound from playing while you're playing the external sound through the speakers, whether through a Local Off function of a volume knob that does not affect the sound coming in from the line input).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived