Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New DAWs, and what about Slate MTi2?

mcgoo

With Sonar's recent demise, I'll be starting to look at other options soon. I probably won't download demos and start really looking deeply until after the 1st of the year (when everything slows to a crawl!), but just perusing feature sets, I'm thinking I'll land with either Digital Performer or Cubase Pro. DP seems better suited to folks doing post score work (which I do), so I'm leaning that way. (Its chunk feature looks wicked cool). But, while poking around, I stumbled on the Slate MTi2 as a front end Multi-Touch controller. On the Windows side they have a Cubase version but not a DP one. Track editing & mixing looks great on it, but I think I'm even more into the thought of how much cooler soft-synth programming could be. No assigning controllers, just launch the GUI and tweak away...

Anyone had any experience with one of those MTi's or care to weigh in on either of those DAWs for scoring / writing for picture?

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the main issue you'll find is simply the initial learning curve of getting around a new GUI. You had a workflow with Sonar, now you need to find how the feature set you used most often is laid out. I'm sure you'll stumble on some neat time saving and creative tricks in the process!

I used Digital Performer in college quite a bit for a few semesters when doing grad school credits, around the time people were switching to OSX from OS9. I found it to be a bitch to learn at first. But finished some pretty elaborate projects in it either way. The Windows build has been around for a few years at least now, maybe people that use it can comment on how dedicated MOTU has been to squashing bugs and keeping on par or identical to the OSX build. The MOTU instruments like Mach 5 and Ethno Instrument are excellent, but additional cost.

I've also used Cubase a lot - both pre and post OSX. Steinberg, like MOTU, exist specifically and exclusively to maintain and grow a user base by advancing their DAW which is great. The biggest complaints I've heard with Cubase is that Steinberg will rush to put out a new version ahead of fixing known bugs in the previous one, and users have to deal with the eLicenser. But maybe that's been better in recent years since being bought by Yamaha? Not sure. Regardless, like DP, the feature set is extensive, particularly in the MIDI sequencer. Full/Pro versions of the Steinberg instruments are also additional cost. Steinberg investing in Dorico is a bonus if you work with scoring tools.

And then there's always ProTools/Sibelius and the iLok.

Obviously you'll pick whichever one resonates most with you. Good luck!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I'm thinking I'll land with either Digital Performer or Cubase Pro. DP seems better suited to folks doing post score work (which I do), so I'm leaning that way.

Anyone had any experience with one of those MTi's or care to weigh in on either of those DAWs for scoring / writing for picture?

Nuendo should be on your demo list, given your stated needs.

You're the 2nd person that has told me that. I always thought Nuendo was an audio only program. The Sweetwater rep I normally deal with says it has all the functionality of Cubase, which surprised the heck out of me. When I looked at the Nuendo page, there's a ton about its audio features but no mention of MIDI. There are some VSTi's that come with it and a score editor, but I have a hard time believing it's MIDI capabilities are extensive. Am I missing something?

www.gmma.biz

You're the 2nd person that has told me that. I always thought Nuendo was an audio only program. The Sweetwater rep I normally deal with says it has all the functionality of Cubase, which surprised the heck out of me. When I looked at the Nuendo page, there's a ton about its audio features but no mention of MIDI. There are some VSTi's that come with it and a score editor, but I have a hard time believing it's MIDI capabilities are extensive. Am I missing something?

Yep, totally.

Nuendo Online Manual - VST Instruments

Enjoy. :2thu:

Yep, totally.

Nuendo Online Manual - VST Instruments

Enjoy. :2thu:

Hmmm, cool. That was kind of you to link me to the manual, but not necessary ;) ... but seriously, thanks for putting it on my radar. I will likely check it out when I start downloading demos. It maybe more than I need, but I'd rather have room to grow than be riddled with limitations. We'll see!

www.gmma.biz

Archived