Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Special note....JIMI !

whitefang

As been done with Django, and d's past "Woulda been 77" I'll note that..

Had he lived, JIMI HENDRIX would have been 75 today!

Often copied, either in style or sound, but never truly imitated, He was the man probably most responsible for the greatest advancements in guitar innovation, method and likely SALES as well. And along with earlier giant Chuck Berry, also probably one who led the highest number of guys to WANT to learn to play the guitar.

Since his death 47 years ago I never once slowed down on how often I'd listen to his recordings. I'd have posted a clip but there are so many good ones to choose from I couldn't decide, so I'll gladly just spend as much time LISTENING to him as I can today. :rawk:

:) And notice too, that EMOTICON plays "lefty" also! :cool:

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Belly Button Window

[free to sample a listen]

Well. I'm up here in this womb

I'm looking all around

Well, I'm looking out my belly button window

And I see a whole lot of frowns

And I'm wondering if they don't want me around

What seems to be the fuzz out there?

Just what seems to be the hang?

'cause you know if ya just don't want me this time around,

Yeah I'll be glad to go back to spirit land

And even take a longer rest,

Before I'm coming down the chute again

Man, I sure remember the last time, baby

They were stlll hawkin' about me then

So if you don't want me now,

Make up your mind, where or when

If you don't want me now,

Give or take, you only got two hundred days

'cause I ain't coming down this way too much more again

You know they got pills for ills and thrills and even spills

But I think you're just a little too late

So I'm coming down into this world, daddy

Regardless of love and hate

And I'm gonna sit up in your bed, mama

And just a grin right in your face

And then I'm gonna eat up all your chocolates,

And say 'i hope I'm not too late'

So if there's any questions,

Make up your mind

'cause you better give or take

Questions in your mind

Give it a take,

You only got two hundered days

Way up into this womb

Looking all around

Sure's dark in here

And I'm looking out my belly button window

And I swear I see nothing but a lot of frowns

And I'm wondering if they want me around

--------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------

Here's his 1st ever TV exposure, if ya haven't seen it

He's mostly hidden behind (which?) Buddy or Stace

but y'can get a feel for what it'd been like if he'd gotten hired by Paul Revere

& a few times you can see him do-an-over-the-top-of-the-fretboard hand swipe [more on that below]

[video:youtube]

Hard to believe that it was less than a year later that he'd gone through the NYC club scene w/ his 2st independent band, been spotted & whisked to England & was setting "that little world" afire.

EXP Hendrix has scrubbed his 1st starring TV shot on Ready, Steady, GO! [Dec 1966] but here's on abt the same time on German TV

Hey, J & PHaze

Here's one of his coolest perfs (& new to YT) from one of his several appearances on the Cavett show.

The panelist in untucked shirt & you see applauding at the end is Krt Vonnegut (!) & the enthusiastic red-head waving at Jimi at the end isn't Lucy Ball but a Vegas-style dancer, Gwen Verdon.

Check how well the show 's drummer plays w/ him & also that he's still using that hand swipe (:28~:35)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vqyj77tJfo

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vqyj77tJfo

From earlier in that show, JH expounds his philosophy of life

& one of his most heartfelt blues perfs

apparently a special request from a child

:idk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02RBzAazqcY

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02RBzAazqcY

& finally the one that proved all the electronics & stagecraft were beside the point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzL7G0jItzU

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzL7G0jItzU

d=halfnote

&, Like his colleagues &, in the rock world of that time, only equals, The Beatles & Frank Zappa, his influence goes on & on

Ya thought that's weird ?

Chk THIS !

Or how abt this ?

[font:Arial Black]Catch how she brings some bluegrass touches to the tune, Wind Cries Mary style [/font]

d=halfnote

Larry, that clip of B.B. and Buddy would have worked for me better if only one spoke at a time. ;)

And d, thanks for endorsing my claim that it was hard to pick out just ONE clip to post that might sum it up. But I dig all them old swatches of Jimi's early days. I didn't take time to look further, but I wonder if there's any footage of Jimi's time with Little Richard? Lemme see...........

Well, no footage, but plenty of sound and stills.....

;)

OK. forget that clip up there. Read somewhere(too late) that there's the possibility it was an overdub of someone else, NOT Jimi. If anyone knows for sure, please speak up. Anyway....

That clip of Jimi doing that acoustic 12-string blues to prove that "The electronics and stagecraft were beside the point" wasn't really needed except for those who thought they WERE. But anyone who LISTENED already knew that. And listen I did. Particularly last night. From "Are You Experienced" to "Electric Ladyland" in chronological order. And I noticed something that I likely noticed before, but didn't articulate util now.

But thanks to finally and after the fact, hearing these recordings "digitally remastered" on CD and through a decent sound system, it became crystal clear just HOW incredible the man was. I thought of how the 2nd LP was MILES ABOVE the 1st. Not only in song and style, but also innovation and CREATIVITY. It was a huge leap forward musically and technically and I recall at the time of it's release and first hearing it wondering....

"HOW is he ever gonna top THIS?"

Then along came "Electric Ladyland"! A friggin' MASTERPIECE! And thanks to all that "remastering" and the improved sound reproduction components, I heard TONS of stuff I NEVER was able to notice back in "the day". Jimi wasn't only a creative and skillful GUITARIST, he was a TECHNICALLY creative and innovative GENIUS! And hearing all of those previously unheard ambient overdubs proved that the electronics never WERE the point. They dazzled us, sure. But without them we'd have been just as dazzled. I made a comment elsewhere about still being fascinated by The Beatles after all these years, but I know that as guitar players/guitarists, we're STILL fascinated with Jimi lo these 50 years since "Are You Experienced" hit the bins. And probably a lot of "non musicians" too.

Jimi may have been copied, oft imitated and some managed to play what he did and even LIKE he did, but NOBODY will ever be able to copy and imitate his MIND. And THAT was his GREATEST instrument. You might be able to play what he did and maybe LIKE he did, but WHO thought of it and played it FIRST?

Whitefang

Jimi may have been copied, oft imitated and some managed to play what he did and even LIKE he did, but NOBODY will ever be able to copy and imitate his MIND. And THAT was his GREATEST instrument. You might be able to play what he did and maybe LIKE he did, but WHO thought of it and played it FIRST?

Whitefang

Exactly. I hear (mostly youngish) people dismiss Hendrix & point to any number of technically more advanced folks who can now do anything Hendrix did. Yes, anybody can learn to play what he did. But the point is, nobody will ever be able to play what he did in the absence of ever having heard Jimi Hendrix. He did it in the context of a world that had never previously produced a Jimi Hendrix. Invention is vastly more creative & significant than reproduction.

Scott Fraser

And to point out his influence went BEYOND how the guitar was approached.......

Me and plenty of other folks( and I asked around) never heard the term "Freak Flag" until Jimi sang it out in "If 6 Was 9". But it seems in the last few years I've heard it used by some people not connected to the MUSIC industry. Not directly. For example------

One of my wife's favorite TV shows is "Dancing With The Stars", so of course, it's on the tube. I sit through it patiently, only glancing up to gander the girl's costumes. ;)

As you know, a couple dances then get critiqued by some judges. I've heard ONE judge, a girl named Carrie Ann Inaba, gush the term when especially pleased, "You really let your FREAK FLAG fly with that number...."

Now, I really DON'T know if Jimi was the first guy to make that reference, but he was the first guy I heard use it!

Whitefang

Whitefang

Exactly. I hear (mostly youngish) people dismiss Hendrix & point to any number of technically more advanced folks who can now do anything Hendrix did. Yes, anybody can learn to play what he did. But the point is, nobody will ever be able to play what he did in the absence of ever having heard Jimi Hendrix. He did it in the context of a world that had never previously produced a Jimi Hendrix. Invention is vastly more creative & significant than reproduction.

Beyond that, JH was one of the most creative composers of the 20th C.

It's hard to find his material online [ the balance between commercial value & promotional tactics is hard to find if y'ain't TSwift)

Just listen dig

d=halfnote

I can't dispute that. And also a sad note:

I've seen Jimi live three times. Yet over the years, the FILM FOOTAGE of Jimi I've caught on TV over time seemed obviously taken from either his "off-night" dates, or filmed and recorded sloppily as they never appeared as good as the shows I'VE seen were. And yet, there WAS excellent footage filmed of the New Year's BAND OF GYPSYS show taken that they could have culled footage from. :(

Whitefang

Jimi was overworked by his management Michael Jeffery back in those Experience days. He would stay up all night, then all day and then go out and play without any sleep. At those times he was sloppy and out of tune. But at Woodstock and other places, & when he was well rested, and later on with Band of Gypsies he was simply amazing. He never went anywhere without his guitar.

Archived