Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If anyone needs a GOOD console for cheap...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh, yeah! I cut my broadcast teeth on these consoles; LOVE these things.

The t.v. station I used to work in threw a couple of these out, out to the trash. I didn't find out until a year or so later. This was also the same station that pitched a couple of Ward-Beck consoles :freak: .

I wept.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Offramp,

Which station? I worked at KRMA for about 5 years in the 90's. They had a prototype Amek in the audio post booth that they really didn't take very good care of and had no idea how to use. And, if I remember correctly, the booth off of studio A had a soundcraft of mediocre quality.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by offramp:

oh, yeah! I cut my broadcast teeth on these consoles; LOVE these things.

The t.v. station I used to work in threw a couple of these out, out to the trash. I didn't find out until a year or so later. This was also the same station that pitched a couple of Ward-Beck consoles :freak: .

I wept.

I would have physically hurt those people :mad:

Well...the station I worked at previous to THAT one, the CE appointed about mid-way through my tenure there went on a de-junking rampage and among other things, tossed TWO UREI 1178's.

THOSE were rescued :D

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

I think it's crazy that so many guys just getting into recording are spending absurd amounts of money on preamps etc when you got 20 or so right there and two very good linkable compressors for pennies. This type of bargin is all over ebay if you look for it.

In terms of expanding your pallette of different sounding gear, this is the way to go imo, old used stuff.

Originally posted by halljams:

I think it's crazy that so many guys just getting into recording are spending absurd amounts of money on preamps etc when you got 20 or so right there and two very good linkable compressors for pennies. This type of bargin is all over ebay if you look for it.

In terms of expanding your pallette of different sounding gear, this is the way to go imo, old used stuff.

Thats because most people dont know that these are gems. Like myself. Ive never heard of McCurdy. Without your recommendation I wouldnt look twice at that console.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Geez...and if the recording thing didn't pan out, you could have yourself a NICE pirate radio station (AHARRRRRRR, play me some o' those obscure cuts, me hearties! Avast!)
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by halljams:

Originally posted by DallasPA:

Hmmmm,

I might be interested. So do you think this console would be good for recording purposes, I might be interested I just dont know anything aboui it. What would you compare it to sonically, thats available these days and what did they cost new?

Dallas

Ok i looked a bit closer, it doesn't have 21 pres it has four. They are very good detailed pres that emulate a tube type sound.

I have 6 of those compressors they rock.

It also has a bunch of 25vlt =/- power supplies which are very useful for ward beck modules as well.

If the pres and compressors work, don't think 2x.

I notice he took the buy it now off. :cry:

Originally posted by TinderArts:

It does not seem to have pres. It's a line mixer or video and other line level returns. Unless I'm missing something. The good thing is the console is only 30 minutes away.

Some of those older pres have like a 4 position switch in place of a regular trim pot. I think the first 4 channels are pres but make sure before hand.

• 1 month later...

I had to bump this thread.

I recently bought a McCurdy PE2600 broadcast console (circa mid 60's) from another studio in town. It's has 6 mic channels and 4 line ins. The previous owner has modded it to have direct outs from the mic pre's. It rocks and I love it.

But I can't find info on it anywhere.

I'd kill for a spec sheet and manual.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Cool to find this thread...

I have 2 McCurdy 8720 consoles from the early 80's. Both of mine were custom built for Canadian radio stations. They're 20 channel/8 buss consoles, and one of them has parametric eq's and compressors on the L/R outs, and three band eq's with fixed highs and lows, and mids switchable between 1.5K and 3K. They also have these same eq's on the buss outs. Kind of a neat idea. They weigh over 500 lbs. each, and are built like tanks. I also have a couple of McCurdy 155 eq's that I hope to rack up. These are 3 band sweepable mid eq's.

I've yet to hear them....I'm putting up the walls in my studio, and I won't be done for a couple of weeks. It's great to hear that people like these old consoles. The one's I have are similar to the one in the eBay auction at the beginning of this thread, but have more mic pre's. Between the two consoles, I've put together a console with 18 pre's. Sometimes you can find the mic/line modules around at good prices.

You can contact McCurdy radio industries, and get manuals for their older custom consoles. They have all that stuff stored on microfilm. They charge a lot for it, but at least it's still available.

If anyone has parts for sale or trade, please let me know. I'd also love to hear more about these consoles from the people who've used them.

Archived