Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone offended by that overweight dancing boy avatar...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm more offended that someone took 4 frames of video, looped it with a highly repetative song and thinks it'd be entertaining. My f**king migraines back.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

i guess i dont know if its a boy or a girl. i never took offense to the gif itself, i didnt find it offensive towards the person or to be making fun of the person. it just looks like a handicapped kid who is very happy. i dont understand what is offensive about it, because it doesnt seem to make fun of the person at all.

although the "shake that ass bitch" song is another thing altogether.

I agree. in fact, isn't it a form of discrimination to say that it's offensive only if it's a retarded person? Isn't it better to say that handicapped people are every bit as capable of having a good laugh as anyone else?
Dooby Dooby Doo

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

Personally? I find it offensive on some level. Now, I won't stop anyone from viewing it if they wish, but if that boy is definitely a mentally retarded person, then I'd have problems.

Precisely, Taz. I'll stay off my soapbox, but you said it...dead on...

Thanks!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

If you are offended by it, what difference would it make if the subject is retarded? How can you say that it's not offensive to you as long as the subject's iq is above a certain number? What if you were to find out that the person was not retarded, but was an orphan? Would that make a difference?

If you look at the image and mock the person in your mind, then it's probably offensive, regardless of their actual history.

On the other hand, if you look at the image and think they're having a good time, then it's probably not offensive, regardless of their actual history.

People who are not retarded can be mocked in a bad way, and people who are retarded can have a good time, in a good way. At least, that's been my experience.

Dooby Dooby Doo

And, you too are correct, cat-person. 'Tis not good to mock, for any reason whatsoever. People who do so, for whatever reason, seek to elevate themselves at someone else's expense...and in so doing, sink.

For me, as someone who has raised a mentally handicapped child, I'm a bit more sensitive to that.

Originally posted by Hendmik:

I'm more offended that someone took 4 frames of video, looped it with a highly repetative song and thinks it'd be entertaining. My f**king migraines back.

Agreed. They could have at least done something creative with it, so he moved with the music or whatever. The music was the offensive part...gawd! Really really sucked. I always thought the little video was pretty funny. Not in a sadistic way, but just because the way the kid is shaking, he looks like he's going to explode.

Also, the words; "Shake that ass, bitch" that were printed above the video were a little unsettling. I guess overall it was a pretty cruel thing for someone to do.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Tedster the Stiltster:

And, you too are correct, cat-person. 'Tis not good to mock, for any reason whatsoever. People who do so, for whatever reason, seek to elevate themselves at someone else's expense...and in so doing, sink.

For me, as someone who has raised a mentally handicapped child, I'm a bit more sensitive to that.

I remember that you mentioned that before, and that this is not an "abstract" issue for you, and I don't mean to get on a soapbox -- we're probably saying the same thing in two different ways.

Two things come to mind.

The first is the book "White Noise" by Don Delillo. In it, the job of the main character's wife is to read trashy newspapers to blind people. She notices that books translated into brail are usually only the serious, weighty "classics," and it strikes her that blind people probably want to read trash just as much as anyone else. So she goes to blind people's homes with "The National Enquirer," "The Weekly World News," etc., and reads them to the blind people who love it.

The second thing is an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," in which Larry David befriends a bunch of retarded people at a car wash, and takes them out to a restaurant, and then they start hanging around his home. In the restaurant Larry and the retarded people start a very silly fight, slapping each other etc.

I could see people being offended by the use of the retarded people in the show, as if we're just laughing at them. However, I actually think it was a great idea to include them because more than that, the show portrayed them like anyone else, enjoying themselves, having a good time.

I think people's tendency is often to treat people with handicaps as either inferior or SUPERIOR to others -- as if they're above reading trashy newspapers, or getting into silly fights in restaurants. However, and for what it's worth, I like it when they're just included in the normal, silly, stupid stuff of everyday life like everyone else.

Dooby Dooby Doo

Well said, and worthy of a catnip mouse for ya, Duddits! That's my point entirely...just speaking as far as mentally retarded people, folks either seem to be inclined to make fun of them or treat them with extra care. And they're just people. People who in their own way have the same dreams...who just want to be accepted. So it is as well for people with physical handicaps...except I really think they've made greater strides. Most people would never think of making fun of someone in a wheelchair, even though they do tend to treat them differently. But the folks with mental handicaps have a harder time.

(Scurrying chasing and batting at the mouse)...

Oh, yeah. He leaves for basic May 11th. Fort Jackson, SC. He'll be pushing his share of dirt, I expect...

Am I worried? Well, sure. But, in this life one never knows. One could feasibly complete a tour of duty in hell safely and get hit by a bus stateside.

He's supposedly going to do the ROTC thing, which should allow him to finish his school...and if he completes that, he'll be a 2nd Lt. in the reserves.

Archived