Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forgotten guitarists...?

whitefang

Sadly Scott, too many people HAVE forgotten them. AND him too.

@Larry:

Outstanding list of greats in that Bloomfield clip. And I don't think I know anybody, or care to KNOW anybody that can ever get tired of listening to Mike! :cool:

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I`ll see that, and raise you a David Lindley-with Jackson Browne, his band El Rayo X, and this-and btw a `tonal holy grail` contender as well-

[video:youtube]

Well, I actively seek out David Lindley gigs to attend, & I play & record with his brother (a keyboard prodigy) so he's certainly not forgotten in my world. Partly it's a long time Southern California connection too. I friend of mine was in Kaleidoscope (a psychedelic world music band) with Lindley in the 60's, so I've known of him forever. But for most, yeah, probably forgotten if not just completely unknown. Worth looking into for sure.

Well I think it`s an all-too frequent case, where once separated from pop songwriting, vocalizing and general `front guy` appeal, the main appeal of musicians no matter how gifted, becomes mostly to other musicians. When most or all of those come together in one person, like Prince for example, the appeal is much broader.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Off the record & off track

3 daze & 17 bottles o' wine later, after lookin' th'ough alla the closets in tha house tryna find my copy of Bloomers's (thass Mike Bloomfield, for y'all kids) autobio [Me & Big Joe----read it !] all I got 2 say's is lookat this cat on 2nd gtr/harpmonica & dial in his haircut for a taste of MB...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mPa_6c87gE

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mPa_6c87gE

d=halfnote

It's somebody but of course not Bloomers & doesn't even really look much like him beyond the hair & sidies.

I hereby dub him The Swedish Boogieman Who Accompanied John Dawson Winter The 3rd During One Of His Most Boisterous (& Prolly Drunken) Performnaces, & thus shall he not be forgotten !

d=halfnote

Here's an interesting story.

Yesterday I was waiting for a MARTA train when I heard a kinda talented cat playing his acoustic in the station.

During a brief discussion it came to light that he likes Larry Coryell, Antonio Jobim & esp Prince...however he had no idea who Chuck Berry was & only a hazy idea abt Hendrix ("he did some psychedelic stuff, right ?").

Read that again & think what it means that a young player, who's fave musician is Prince, basically only knows Hendrix as a name.

Of course PRN was one of the most talented musicians of our time & maybe the best live performer since Franz Lizst or Paganini but I'm guessing he'd never have developed as he did w/out Jimi, let alone Chuck Berry (who, of course made a major splash in in the news just this year).

I'd say this list of the forgotten may eventually include everyone.

:facepalm:

d=halfnote

This'll be off the path a bit, but something in the previous post reminds me of something that seems a peculiarity lately...

For instance-----

For nearly 30 years everybody knew one guy by only one name. Say it and everybody knew immediately who you were talking about. That man was PRINCE. His vids on MTV were attributed only to "PRINCE". DJs on the radio would introduce his songs as, "Here's the new single by PRINCE." Even his LPs and CDs identified him as "PRINCE". Yet for some reason, after his death every time a reference to him comes up in any forum I patronize it's always the FULL name, PRINCE ROGERS NELSON. I mean, all needs doing is just typing out PRINCE and we'd all know who it is.

And now I see it's being done to my boy Johnny Winter. Sure, John Dawson Winter III is his full and correct name, but is ALL of that necessary?

Well, that's my "vent of the day", so I'll drop it now. As for the other guy, sure. It's hard to forget a name you never knew in the first place. ;)

Whitefang

Not only is this guy, Gary Green, a "forgotten guitarist", he also hails from a pretty much forgotten band--Gentle Giant--

He's the dude with the specs....

AND--check the birthday thread...

Whitefang

All of this reminds me of that old song,

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anyone

Outside of a small circle of friends..." (By Phil Ochs, if I remember correctly. This is 50 years ago or so, LOL.)

By that I mean, most people, even music lovers, don't listen to music from a guitarist's point of view. They don't focus on the exquisitely subtle guitar nuances, although they enjoy them as part of the whole package.

So it's a good thing that those of us in the "small circle of friends" make an effort to remember our talented colleagues and partners in crime....

So true Eric of having this small circle of friends. Your comments remind me of my 1st Tommy Emmanuel concert at a theater in Sacramento. The place was packed to the nose bleeds. I looked around the audience and I could tell every guy in the joint was a guitar player and their eyes were glued to Tommy from the beginning to the end of the show...I get the same feeling watching the many YouTube clips of performances of guys like Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Les and so many other greats. We have to go see our favorites while they are still around... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

That GG clip is an example of why some of these folks & bands are forgotten.

Sounds like many in the room w/them, at least at 1st, weren't really alert to them...

Perhaps you could find a better example of their worth or, as a colleague here recently suggested to me, put some context to why you cite them ?

:snax:

d=halfnote

As for the GG clip, I was offered by the "almighty" Tube very little in the way of any that centered mostly on Gary Green, who WAS after all, the main focus at the time. ;) at least recorded in what was his "heyday".

As for what goes on at concerts, I've always noticed a huge amount of folks that seemed to be there just to be there and be able to SAY they were and little if any attention paid to what was going on stage-wise. It's what turned me off about going to concerts really. One good example is just listen to "Do You Feel Like We Do" on the "Frampton Comes Alive" LP and hear how many are making noise, whistling loudly and all that during Bob Mayo's fine piano solo.

Whitefang

That's why I like small clubs - as in primarily for music lovers, not people mostly looking to get drunk and/or laid.

The audience can be happy and in a good mood, excited to hear good tunes, without being obnoxious - I remember enjoying concerts at the Bottom Line particularly for that reason - and oh, the reasonable prices and excellent sound system didn't exactly HURT... LOL.

I like sit down concerts as opposed to bars and dance halls...not that dancing is not fun, but I like listening to live performances more than dancing to it...fewer drunks and fewer fights is a lot more fun for me! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

..... :D You've obviously never seen me dance. ;):D

Besides, most people who dance (at clubs anyway) never pay much attention to the music past the beat. The girls dancing are paying too much attention to trying to look good while they're moving on the floor, and the guys are dancing with them just hoping to get laid. ;)

Whitefang

Gee, I think dancing, by nature, involves listening & hearing music, as well as thinking abt it...

:idk

I don't know why I do what I do sometimes as the wife loves to dance and I love to sit and listen...I'll get up and dance now and then and used to dance the night away back in my younger days. But, when I get around some good live entertainment, I like to sit and focus on the performers and prefer sit down concerts...I do love it when people are having fun and dancing too! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Dave Meniketti impressed me back in the day... [video:youtube]

Back in the 80's or 90's I worked on a video with Y & T. I seriously believe they are the actual model for Spinal Tap. They endlessly reinvented themselves with different looks & sounds over the years while never quite achieving big success. They went through phases of psychedelic pop, Edwardian dandyism, metal, prog rock, 80's arena rock, etc. Good players for sure.

Scott Fraser

...most people who dance (at clubs anyway) never pay much attention to the music past the beat.

Last diversion (I promise :D ) but actually if ya ever watched Soul Train or caught the Lockers or other troupes y'saw how much attention some pay to matching their moves specifically to the music.

:w00t::keynana::w00t:

& then we have

d=halfnote

:D LOVED The Lockers! That "Rerun" guy had some good moves for a guy his size. ;)

And I used to watch Soul Train a LOT back about late '71-early '72, but this all started with mention of people dancing in CLUBS, and NOT professional interpretive dancers, that of course do their best to match the moves with the music. :idk

Whitefang

OK. I'll get more serious now. Had my bit o' fun. ;)

With Christmas coming on I know there's many, like me, who feel the Christmas season doesn't "officially" begin until they hear Nat "King" Cole's "The Christmas Song". First done by Cole's Trio, no strings or such, but too with a nice little solo by his guitarist OSCAR MOORE. Sadly I couldn't find a clip of just those THREE doing the song, but there's this that shows Nat was MUCH more than "Ramblin' Rose" and some good shots of Oscar doing his thing.....

Happy Holidays! :)

Whitefang

Most people know the tune by Bobby Troup, who wrote Route 66 in '46. They don't know that Nat recorded it 1st and therefor Bobby's tune is a cover LOL! One of my favorite songs and I like the guitar by Mr. Moore...Bobby was the jazz pianist in his original recording but I think Nat does a much finer job on his improvisational piano lead work....I love playing and singing this tune...going off topic just a bit but here's my favorite group (Asleep at the Wheel) playing a favorite tune live with no guitar leads so this is for the forgotten guitar player LOL!:

:cool:

Take care, Larryz

While cruzing around those YouTube clips of Route 66, I came across this one by Diana Krall. It has a long intro done by a forgotten guitar player Russell Malone. He pretty much chops chords during 66 for Diana, but in the intro you'll hear some good licks from Honky Tonk in with the mix! The improvisational piano leads are a major part of the '66 tune as shown in the Nat clip and in the Asleep clip. Even though this is about guitar players and not the keyboard forum, @ 5:19 I can't resist throwing in this Piano lead by Diana Krall...and it really shows what a great player she is! :thu:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgeVx8QoVaQ

:cool:

Ps. and the bass player is really good too for you guys on the Down Low Low Down forum! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

And who remembers ROGER DEAN, second guitarist of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers after Bernie Watson (who I can't find ANY footage of) and before Clapton?

Trouble is you have to wait 1:32 in before you hear him(and also no footage or photo).

Whitefang

Archived