Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forgotten guitarists...?

whitefang

You shouldn't have to wait Fang. After you hit play, put your cursor on the red line and a red dot on the tracking will appear while it's playing, put your cursor on it and you should be able to click on the dot and drag the clip up to 1:32...
Take care, Larryz

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mentioned JOHN MAYALL's birthday today, who wrote a song dedicated to THIS guy, who really never gets much, if any, mention 'round here...

[video:youtube]

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

There's a lot of old Country Blues artists who were great guitar players...John Jackson comes to mind quickly. Oh yeah, Mississippi John Hurt was great. And then there's Clifford Gibson (bet you haven't heard of him in a long time) that played several sessions with Country Music legend Jimmie Rodgers.

OK..to return to the forgotten....

I've mentioned Arthur Godfrey in connection to a discussion about ukuleles, But he did have a "designated" guitarist on his radio show, REMO PALMIER, who's the old guy seated in the photo accompanying the music in this clip.

Whitefang

I was going to mention Marty Stuart for all those country fans out there as he is one hell of a Grammy Award winning Tele player that has played with many great country stars. He did a great song with Merle Haggard called The Farmers Blues. And he just happens to be coming to my town next month and my wife and I will be down in front watching the show for our birthdays! Here he is:

:cool:

ps. his sidekick in the black hat is Kenny Vaughan and he ain't none too shabby on that Tele either @ 1:50!

Take care, Larryz

No indeed. Not shabby at all. Have a great time at the show. :)

And there's this guy...FENTON ROBINSON, who plays the original lead in the original recording of "Texas Flood" for Larry Davis in '58 doing his own version of the song in '74 I'm guessing.

And here's some footage of Fenton actually playing(rather than a "slide show" of old stills......)

Both Davis and Robinson are dead now, but the music and spirit continues.....

Whitefang

One of my favorite SRV songs is Texas Flood. I think his version came out around '85 or '86...that slide show still at 0:48 don't look too shabby! I like Fenton's version of the flood and may he Rest in Peace...
Take care, Larryz

As I also mentioned that had he lived, he'd be 79 today( see the b'day thread) but also J.J.CALE doesn't get mentioned or referenced here all that often.

Whitefang

Jim Messina

Career span = Buff Springfield, Poco, Loggins & Messina + time before (1st notices 1964) & after Srill going strong).

Here he is rippin a thoughtfully composed & measured solo that would do any o'the cats in Steely Dan proud. ..plus he gives true support to the other players throughout.

A full 2 mins [3:00~5:00].

Dig how it ranges from country to bluesy to jazz & orchestral (w/ the band's backing) at the finish.

As good as that work is, isn't it a shame that now, almost 50 yrs later the lyric content remains as relevant as then ?

d=halfnote

Loggins and Mesina were/are one of my all-time favorites! The vid shows just how great they were On Stage live. I had their double live album and it is one of the best live albums of all time! In the Angry Eyes vid, Jimmy takes off on the lead @ 3:08 just like he did it way back then and when you hear Kenny come in @ 4:47 you hear how great they were at double lead work. Their vocals are as great as the Righteous Brothers, The Everly Brothers, Simon and Garfunkel, [insert duo]. Jim and Kenny are both super talented forgotten guitarists if ever there was one! :2thu:

and the band was none too shabby either...the bass lead is just like the original and the flute and sax leads are also super! :cool:

ps. and a shout out to JJ Cale and Leon Russell After Midnight! :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Some "forgotten" guitarists were those who were part of great bands but never got any notice(name-wise that is) except for the work they did.

Like JOHN GIRTON of Dan Hicks' Hot Licks, still going out and doin' it!

Whitefang

As I also mentioned that had he lived, he'd be 79 today( see the b'day thread) but also J.J.CALE doesn't get mentioned or referenced here all that often.

Whitefang

Back in my Taipei days, I found a cassette (yeah-that long ago) of JJ Cale songs at a music shop, and was stunned-every song was great including of course the original version of `Cocaine`. I immediately stole several, including this one for our band:

and this one for myself:

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

While digging around about something else, I ran across this name....I remember some years back a jazz guitarist friend of mine played me some old LP by THIS guy....

Died a long time ago it seems.

Whitefang

Archived