Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

looking for a new digital stage piano

Rockitman

My Roland rd700sx is going on 13 years old. My display screen has suddenly stopped working. It is backlit white but no display. All the years of lugging this badboy all over may have taken it's toll. I opened it up to look for loose ribbons but didn't see anything, pushed them all in tight anyways to no avail. So I will take it to service dealer Monday for repair. But with that said, I'm getting tired of this board and was thinking about getting something new. 88 keys is a must. I see there is a Roland rd2000 listing for 2500 and then there is the drool keyboard Nord Stage 3 listing for 4500. Just looking at my favorite website Sweetwater. Any other models I need to add to my list of looks?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just Piano - Not controller or non piano sound. Just as a slab piano.

Under $1000 - Casio

$1000-2000 - Kawai MP7

$2000-$2500 Yamaha CP4

$2500-3000 - Kawai MP11 if you have muscles else CP4.

Greater than $3000. Not the Kronos.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Familiarity is worth a lot. Its Roland. You know what you are getting. Controller functionality on the RD 2000 impressed me in this current day and age.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I ditched Roland about 4 years ago. Not a fan of the 2000 action, weight and lack of monitors. Sounds are so so, imo

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Just Piano - Not controller or non piano sound. Just as a slab piano.

Under $1000 - Casio

$1000-2000 - Kawai MP7, Yamaha CP4

$2000-$2500 Yamaha CP4

$2500-3000 - Kawai MP11 if you have muscles else CP4.

Greater than $3000. Not the Kronos.

Fixed.

Good list. I'd also add Nord Piano to the $2500-3000 category.

I'm sorry, no. I need all the patches. Not just piano. I'm already leaning on the new RD2000, since I'm already familiar with the layout, it looks and sounds pretty amazing.

You're used to the Roland sound, and how it sits in the mix for you. So I'm going to recommend the RD-2000. For most gigs this year, it's been my go-to stage piano. I especially like the added V-Piano engine, updated EPs, and expanded control features; the ability to grab 'drawbars' when covering organ parts is very helpful. So far my only quibble is the additional ROMpler/synth sounds. They're certainly capable, and a few even inspiring to play, but the sound set is limited - compared to that of the FA-08. Roland needs to do RD-2000 synth expansion packs - via Axial - yesterday. I find it kind of baffling that the RD's Axial sets, so far, have been a detailed 'history' of Roland stage piano (RD-600, 500, etc..); there's already a healthy variety of vintage stage pianos in the stock instrument.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

So far my only quibble is the additional ROMpler/synth sounds. They're certainly capable, and a few even inspiring to play, but the sound set is limited - compared to that of the FA-08. Roland needs to do RD-2000 synth expansion packs - via Axial - yesterday.

I had the same quibble when I played the RD-2000 at NAMM, and the Roland dude told me that expansion ROMpler/synth sounds via Axial would be forthcoming. Bigger -or smaller (Boutique ;) )- fish to fry, I guess.

I have never been a Roland piano guy, but really like the RD-2000. As Allan mentioned, the V-Piano sounds are excellent.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived