Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DX7 Patch Needed on iPad

Pigmeat

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of X operator FM synths for iOS. I'm sure you could reproduce it if you know the patch settings.

I wonder if its already in Yamaha's FM Essentials (but I think you might need an MX to use this app?)

DXi FM synthesizer

By Takashi Mizuhiki maybe?

I know the Volca FM does this patch pretty well but obviously that's not an iPad app.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've tried several apps now but no luck.

Could you elaborate? As Elmer stated above, there are numerous 4-operator FM synths out there. Which ones have you tried, and have you actually tried to program the patch, or are you merely looking for it to magically already be there as a preset? ;) It's unclear from your post.

are you merely looking for it to magically already be there as a preset?

based on the thread title and this specific information :

I'm looking for an iPad app that contains the classic DX7 patch #15: Bass 1.

one could surely surmise that indeed the OP wants a preset. ;)

:nopity:

I'm looking for a preset. I don't have time to get into programming iPad apps before this gig.

The Yamaha Essentials app probably has it, but you need to buy one of their keyboards in order to unlock the sounds. Makes no sense to me.

There are a lot of X operator FM synths for iOS. I'm sure you could reproduce it if you know the patch settings.

I wonder if its already in Yamaha's FM Essentials (but I think you might need an MX to use this app?)

DXi FM synthesizer

By Takashi Mizuhiki maybe?

I know the Volca FM does this patch pretty well but obviously that's not an iPad app.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try DXi but no similar preset.

You would think that this sound would be in my CP40, but nope.

I'm pretty sure all you need to do to unlock FM Essentials is take your iDevice with FM Essentials to a music store that has an MX on the floor, then have them do a "demo" whereby you can unlock your iDev using their MX...

are you merely looking for it to magically already be there as a preset?

based on the thread title and this specific information :

I'm looking for an iPad app that contains the classic DX7 patch #15: Bass 1.

one could surely surmise that indeed the OP wants a preset. ;)

Yeah, I'd assumed as much, but was somewhat leading the witness to admit that they wanted to put the absolute minimum amount of effort into reaching this goal.

plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose...

You would think that this sound would be in my CP40, but nope.

You would? :confused:

Yes. It's an iconic bass sound, used on many hit records. I'm sure you know that already. The CP40 already has other familiar DX7 sounds, so I was surprised not to find it. Thanks for your help.

Yeah, I'd assumed as much, but was somewhat leading the witness to admit that they wanted to put the absolute minimum amount of effort into reaching this goal.

Yes, the minimum amount of effort is what I'm looking for in this case. You know nothing about me or my situation. I find your remarks to be rude and insulting. Please don't troll my future posts.

I'm sure you could reproduce it if you know the patch settings.

Question. If I knew nothing about FM synth programming and wanted to be able to reproduce a sound, where would I start? Are there resources with the specific parameters of the DX EP, the DX bass, the Toto Africa horns or mallets etc.? Or is it all based on "word of mouth"? Is trial and error the only way or are there learning resources?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

What else is in the rig, Brandon? You using anything that can load samples?

I'm sure there's WAVs of this patch floating around and if not I'm sure someone could share a few.

Nothing. I'm a simple piano and organ guy that is helping out a fellow musician last minute. I need to focus on learning 20+ songs in 2 days - not programming. My DX7 is out of commission right now, otherwise I'd take it to the gig.

Hi, Marc. There is no shortage of FM patches in the wild. Literally zips full of everything that's practically ever been done for the DX7. There are also apps for OSX and Windows to manage, audition, and upload these patches to the DX7's carts. There's DX/TX patch editors for iOS as well.

If you were on a desktop platform instead of iOS there are virtual instruments that do a pretty good job of opening these patches and getting close to the sound.

Native Instruments FM8

Propeller Heads PX7

etc.

That's the easiest route. Beyond that, you'd look to google and youtube for tons of information on programming FM synths and the DX7 specifically.

Yes, the minimum amount of effort is what I'm looking for in this case. You know nothing about me or my situation. I find your remarks to be rude and insulting. Please don't troll my future posts.

LOL... funny thing is, if you'd said you were open to the suggestion of programming it, I'd have fired up my DX7, gotten the patch parameters, and sent them to you.

Hell, I was even thinking that I could use AutoSampler to sample the patch for you and send it to you as a SoundFont, as there are lots of SFZ players out there.

So no worries, I'll never "troll" you again. :wave:

Hey, Sven. Don't be too rough on brother Brandon. You know your bedside manner is famous around these parts - or infamous I should say! :)

Are you aware of any iOS instruments that can load SFZ format?

I would assume the data has to go into the iPad via iTunes file sharing services?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201301

Although an iOS sample player with keymapping WAV or AIF would be fine....

I think Beatmaker 2 might be a decent sampler for iOS

[video:youtube]

Anyone know of other iOS Samplers? Would probably be an easy way to quickly incorporate simple patch sounds into your rig if you already own an iPad.

Anyone know of other iOS Samplers?

Sample playback, at least...

bs-16i

http://www.bismark.jp/bs-16i/index.html

Soundfont Pro

http://www.itimsystems.com/product-soundfontpro/

Caustic

http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/caustic

MIDI Keyboard/MIDI Sampler/ME MIDI Sampler

http://www.ngcybit.it/iTunesApp/music/

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

So no worries, I'll never "troll" you again. :wave:
You Ontarians need to get a room. :poke::cop:;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If you can use a Windows laptop instead of iPad, this app should have all DX7 patches:

https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

Dexed is also available on Macs. I'd say a laptop is your best bet if you absolutely need to have that particular preset.

Regarding the Yamaha FM Essentials app - I thought you needed a new MX connected at all times to keep it unlocked it? You couldn't just walk into a music store and unlock it once.

Oh, man, a room with Sven? Now I'm excited!

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Oh, man, a room with Sven? Now I'm excited!
It's an Ontarian thing. Glad you can join 'em. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

And Brandon, if you're anywhere near Kingston.....I have a very nice DX7II-FD-E! I'd like to unload...... :)

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Archived