Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Nord Piano Library: Layers

zephonic

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

WARNING: I downloaded these into my NS2 last week, and quite liked a couple of them.

Got to a gig last Saturday, and my sustain pedal didn't work at soundcheck. Reboot, and it was fine.

I then realised I couldn't change programs. I could select using front panel controls, and the new name would display, but the sound was not the new sound corresponding to the new program name, it was the old program's sound.

What was weird was that if I sent a MIDI program change (I use Set List Maker) it worked fine. New program displayed, AND the sound matched.

HOWEVER... I had no controllers: sustain, expression, pitch bend, modulation, aftertouch - none of them worked. Awkward for piano, EP, organ, monosynth, strings, brass... pretty much everything. Luckily, MIDI sustain (from my downstairs controller-only board) worked so I could at least play piano/EP there. But my miscellany of upstairs patches were severely lacking in expression.

I suddenly remembered a post in (I think) the Nord User forum, where someone had complained of funny behaviour following a Layer download. It didn't match what I was seeing, but it triggered a light bulb moment.

As soon as I got home after this crappy gig, I checked, and thankfully I had taken a full backup before loading the Layer pianos in. I restored, and everything worked perfectly.

I'm still running OS 2.10 btw and it's possible that a new OS would fix the problem - but lesson learned, check everything after an upgrade. I think quality control seems to have slipped at Nord, judging by this and the number of NS3 bugs reported ...

Cheers, Mike.

Archived