Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Canterbury Suitcase Electric Piano

analogholic

Has anybody played both this and the newest Scarbee 88?

Yes- as of yesterday when I got the Canterbury. With the caveat that I've only played with it for a few hours I'd say the Canterbury is more authentic and thicker sounding on a pure note basis not driven by effects. The Ep-88 barks/cracks/snaps harder if you program it that way, which I really like although it's probably not true to any real Rhodes. Plenty of effects available for both. Both seem to chew up CPU. I'm trying to operate on 32 sample buffer but the release of the sustain pedal gives me intermittent pops in Reaper. No pops when using stand-alone Kontact playing Canterbury. Still investigating this.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
About the effects: the routing is entirely flexible, and the quality of the effects is quite good -- I think these are from Soniccouture vs. wrappers of Guitar Rig and Kontakt effrects.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The first thing I did was go after old Joe Zawinuls wah-wah sound, easy as pie, then John Paul Jones "No Quarter" Maestro phaser, pretty juicy.

Twin Reverb Amp sound with a little Spring, spectacularly thick.

My only beef with Keyscape LA Custom is it thins out in the upper octaves.

Comps are noticeably louder.

Canterbury can go from LH Bass like Chicks Light As A Feather, then switch to comp plus solo, without having to lighten the left hand clusters.

It sounds real nasty through Blue3s updated Rotary plug in...

I'm actually trying to find an example of where not to use this instrument to no avail.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

You caught it right there -- this is the first Rhodes that I have been able to play clusters on (especially complex jazz voicings) without the bottom end going all muddy.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I've notice this on a majority of VSTi's.

Especially synths.

Mid Range was always decent but high and low ranges were never on.

I had to keep discrete audio analogs in my rig since I need that quality of sound.

Another shockingly good instrument is 8DIO Clavinet.

After 20 years I can smile.

Someday maybe a Sax that doesn't morph into a Kazoo in the high Tenor range.

Unlike my Yellow Lab who has to carry around her newest toy or latest donated pair of socks at the exclusion of all else, I'm trying to refrain from making an early judgement. It's too easy to like and gravitate to the latest purchase the most (at least for me) although Canterbury sounds and plays wonderful. But I said the same about EP-88s just a few weeks ago.

I did spend hours yesterday running clinical experiments to determine cpu usage between this and EP-88. Canterbury for the most part is not a problem on my 5+ year old pc running at a 32 sample buffer. It does give an occasional audio click if all 3 outputs (mike, line and room) are used. Not unexpected and many of the preset patches only use 1 or 2 outputs. I really have to sustain a lot of notes to "force" an audio click. Ep-88 does not have this selectable output configuration. I've concluded that EP-88 sucks up CPU cycles on pedal release because this is where it's using some serious modeling per the on-line and user manual description. A 64 sample buffer doesn't seem to help and at 128 I get less pops but still enough to annoy me. Contrary to some previous statements I made it's independent of whether run as stand-alone or within Reaper. I realize it could be my system and I do plan on upgrading in the next 6 months or so . But for now it's pretty much un-usable.

Now...where did I leave those socks?

And Canterbury Rhodes performs flawlessly on my Yoga 2 PRO @ 256 samples!!! Super nice. I just wish the scaling control could make the upper end louder if desired. Now, it is only negative scaling.

About latency settings: 128 is the standard for live playing, and many computers handle this well, but for failsafe operation, 256 samples is plenty responsive and will usually avoid clicks.

Trying to operate, live, at 32 or 64 samples is asking for trouble i my exeperience.

Legend Live w/a Tall and Fat; 1963 Hammond A-100 w/a Neo Vent 2. , 1963 Leslie 145 (which never leaves the studio), Hurricane 210, 2- QSC K 8.2âs,

• 1 month later...
Its possoble that Im not picky enough, and Im certainly no Rhodes expert, but Im still leaning more on the EP 88 more than the Canterbury. Ive had more time with the EP 88 so thats definitely coloring my opinion. If anything, I find that they are both really distinctive instruments and I can see myself using both in different settings. Also, worth noting, Ive been using both with Amplitude Fender Twin and a virtual pedal board. So I really havent explored the built in effects in either library.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

The best feature on Cantebury is really Mic Mixing and Mono summed pan.

I run a 50 foot MIDI Cable out front with a battery operated 49 note POS just to set the Panning.

Its so damn wide I have to re adjust per gig.

The PA is stereo which some guys frown upon but we use excellent automated vocal FX and my keys must be stereo.

Using DSP and Hardware FX (TC Fireworx) for chorus/verb.

Blue3 Leslie plug, and Cantebury Phaser for that No Quarter Maestro Phaser Sound.

Pretty much never use Keyscape or PianoTeq Rhodes now.

Both are very good but once I go through so many gigs and can concentrate on playing instead of sound quality/work arounds I keep the one that makes me smile the most.

Also, worth noting, Ive been using both with Amplitude Fender Twin and a virtual pedal board. So I really havent explored the built in effects in either library.

RoadHouse, do you use a mono or stereo input into Amplitube? If stereo, do you have separate amps on the Left and Right?

I always wondered why Amplitube seems a little unfriendly to keyboard players. Maybe there's an easy way to duplicate the left and right amp setups (which I haven't found) or maybe no one uses a stereo input (but me)?

Also, worth noting, Ive been using both with Amplitude Fender Twin and a virtual pedal board. So I really havent explored the built in effects in either library.

RoadHouse, do you use a mono or stereo input into Amplitube? If stereo, do you have separate amps on the Left and Right?

I always wondered why Amplitube seems a little unfriendly to keyboard players. Maybe there's an easy way to duplicate the left and right amp setups (which I haven't found) or maybe no one uses a stereo input (but me)?

I'm using GigPerformer as my host. I have a stereo out of the Canterbury into Amplitude and a stereo out of Amplitude to my Line Out. Now, what happens within Amplitude I'm afraid I'm naive to. I'm somewhat tech illiterate. I can tell you that I don't have separate amps for the L and R channels.

I'm using GigPerformer as my host. I have a stereo out of the Canterbury into Amplitude and a stereo out of Amplitude to my Line Out. Now, what happens within Amplitude I'm afraid I'm naive to. I'm somewhat tech illiterate. I can tell you that I don't have separate amps for the L and R channels.

With the stereo tremolo on the suitcase engaged, you are hearing stereo? As I see it, the only way that could happen is if Amplitube is set to pass dry signal which defeats the purpose of using it imo, so there must be something I'm missing (or my opinion is misguided!).

With the stereo tremolo on the suitcase engaged, you are hearing stereo? As I see it, the only way that could happen is if Amplitube is set to pass dry signal which defeats the purpose of using it imo, so there must be something I'm missing (or my opinion is misguided!).

I don't have my laptop in front of me to check this out but a quick search turned up that Amplitude is Dual Mono only. Not stereo.

• 4 weeks later...
The Canterbury is now the only Rhodes library I'll use. It has even kicked UVI Tines Anthology to the curb when going for the more modern 80's sound. Such a flexible library! You can easily make it sound like any Rhodes model you've ever heard.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't find any audio demos (maybe it's too early), but PSound have released a new 73-key Mark I Rhodes:

http://www.psound.it

I like their accordion libraries, but am fully satisfied with Canterbury and Scarbee for my Rhodes needs.

The PSound might be worth checking into for those with a tiny budget.

• 2 weeks later...
The demo tracks for Canterbury do indeed sound great. To those of you who purchased this Canterbury library and also happen to have Pianoteq Standard and its electric piano package, please try this experiment: use the MkII Room Close Mic preset, and place two virtual 414 mics, either omni or cardioid, in front of the suitcase speakers, turn off the Chorus, and see if that doesn't come very close to the Canterbury basic sound. I only have the online demos for Canterbury to compare, so I'm interested in how you guys hear it. Thanks!

I am interested in this experiment too. Who is able and willing to do this experiment for us?

I am able, but not quite willing, having come off of a week of being the sickest in 17 years. I simply don't have the interest as the Canterbury is 100% perfect as-is.

If I end up working on any of my Rhodes tunes tonight though, I will try to remember to try the comparison. After all, I was able to tweak Scarbee's new Rhodes to match certain Canterbury settings.

JochenCX3,

I tried this and to my ears the Canterbury is clearly different (and preferable to me). The Pianoteq MKII is also very good and on a gig there may be reasons one would choose it, but the Canterbury is really a terrific Rhodes as is the Scarbee. I did not do any deep diving on editing the Pianoteq. I only tried the above suggestions. It may be possible with some EQ and other tweaks to get the PT closer, but there's just something "right" about the Canterbury (and the Scarbee). Wonderful options now for Rhodes -

Tom

I don't have my laptop in front of me to check this out but a quick search turned up that Amplitude is Dual Mono only. Not stereo.

That's correct it's dual mono. But my question remains, so how do keyboard players use it? One option is to just run the left side in (single mono) and then let Amplitube produce stereo out.

Or, it appears you could duplicate the amp configurations on the left and right. But that seems very tedious to keep having to tweak the left and right amp configs to be the same. This seems like an obvious elephant sized problem to me, but through all the releases, as far as I know, Amplitube has done nothing to address this.

Am I the only keyboard player in the world who sees this as a problem?

Archived