Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil Pro 76 keybed

As per the question, does anyone know what keybed is in the Kurzweil K1200 Pro 76?

I tried one out today and whilst the sounds were very dated, the action felt great to me. It is semi weighted and looks similar to the action on the SP76, SP2 and Artis 7. It also reminded me a little of the action on the Roland EP7, which I used to own.

I would love that style of semi weighted action in a modern board. I assume the action is from Fatar but I would love to have it confirmed and find out if it is the same as the action in the Artis 7. I suspect it may be an earlier Fatar action though.

Any help greatly appreciated. Dave Weiser to the rescue?

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is definitely an earlier action than the one in the Artis (or any of Kurzweil's current products).

Most Kurzweil actions have been OEM sourced from Fatar. The last of the older actions used was that used in the K2600 series and PC2 series. These actions had the common property of being lead based (solder and sometimes other parts).

The EU came up with legal regulations that nothing electronic could be manufactured nor sold in EU countries which contained lead (with limited exceptions for Military, Avionic, and Medical). All manufacturers were affected.

So, starting with the PC3 series (Kurzweil's first product after recovering from the Samick takeover), all have actions which are lead-free. Most are still Fatar, but there are some exceptions.

I own both a PC2 and PC3 "lightly weighted" Playing is similar, the PC3 feels just a bit better and quieter, but this could be because of the difference in age and playing hours.

On the "fully weighted" side, I also have a PC2X and PC3X. The action in the older PC2X is considerably noisier, although still not a problem. My understanding also is that the action used in the PC3X is considerably more rugged with less problems of weights coming loose and dropping. The PC2X one is the same as used in the K2600X. I did have an SP88X, but that was long ago and I don't remember the action all that well (though my memory is not as favorable as the PC2X and PC3X).

Dave Weiser would know the details. His current business sometimes has him away from online activities.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I just found this site yesterday while researching actions, however I don't see that model listed.

CLONK

Still, seems to be a pretty good resource for seeing which actions are in which keyboards.

From the list, my best guess would have to be TP8 but since it's older, who knows?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• 2 years later...

Played another Pro 76 last night and came on here to see if anyone knew the keyboard action. Totally forgot I started this thread back in 2017

Is the Fatar TP8 available in any controllers? I have a Roland Integra so don"t need any internal sounds.

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Kurzweil PC3 uses the TP8 'semi weighted' action. The PC3 series is a great controller and the TP8 is a decent compromise action for playing synth, piano or organ. Not ideal for any but also not bad for any.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band