Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any Yamaha C3X grand piano owners/players here?

Mjazz

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a tuner/technician for the East Bay/Sacramento area I have several clients with this model. It is a huge departure from what I came to know as a Yamaha C-3 from the last thirty five years of my personal experience with that model. I would love to own a C3X someday.

P.S.

Voicing is critical with this instrument (as with all pianos)in order to elevate it to a whole new level of musical expression and control.

Peace

It depends on the experience and expertise of the technician doing the voicing. First the regulation must be done or the piano must be in good regulation. Then a good fine-tuning must be performed.

An understanding of how a hammer compresses once it mates with the string and transfers its energy creating excursion of the string is critical. There is more to tone then just bright and soft. A good voicing allows for a roomy pianissimo and an authoritative fortissimo to exist in the same hammer.

Peace

OK, going to wade in way over my head. Putting on the flame-resistant suit.

A few years back, I went on a journey of finding the ultimate acoustic grand piano. Technical specs matters, as did room aesthetics.

There is absolutely no dissing the C3X. A completely impressive instrument: design, execution, value, resale, etc. My take is that if it speaks to you, ain't no going wrong with one of these babies.

But it didn't speak to me. A bit too sterile and antiseptic. I wanted warmth, color, voice, etc. Hey, just me.

I found myself drawn to the great Europeans.

And ended up with a killer Bosie. Inch for inch, the Bosies are one of the most expensive pianos on the planet. Hey, whatever.

Spent a bunch more, no regrets.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I know quite a few very fine , top notch jazz pianists and accompanists of varying musical genres that own a C3.

I've played them in recording studios where the piano has been well taken care of. They've sounded great recorded and been fun to play on.

The CX3 is a more refined, rounder and darker sound. I've only played the 6' briefly but was impressed and could hear a dramatic difference (for the better) over the older C series.

Just going a tad OT- I love the handmade CF6 ! After a good NY Steinway B, I would choose the Yamaha if we're talking 7' pianos.

Back to the 6' piano- I can't imagine being disappointed with a CX3, especially if it's new or a year or so old.. Again like Alex said - you really need to find a highly skilled tuner/tech that is well versed in these instruments to bring out the best in them.

Archived