Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music dream

Chris Link

I don't remember a lot of dreams, but had a music-related anxiety dream last night. Decades out of school I still have ones about realizing on the day of the final exam that I haven't been to class all semester. This was kind of like that.

It's the end of a gig and several special guests are coming up to join the band. It's a big finale. My new Electro suddenly loses all of my presets. The screen is deep in some sub menus (I know, there aren't any.) The display is showing color pictures that are supposed to illustrate various functions and I can't get back to being able to come up with any sounds that I want.

Half way through the song, I find a weird chorused out of tune piano and get sort of caught up. But certain keys trigger odd sound effects and random noises. Everyone is looking at me to solo and it sounds awful. The song mercifully ends and people come up and say, "Man, you sounded great!" I'm thinking they must be complete idiots.

Anyone else have dreams like this?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha ha, I get flashbacks of the time I hit the wrong patch on the downbeat of a woman's first dance of her wedding reception. !@#$% Fucking clav with phaser on what should have been a beautiful ballad piano. The nightmares and waking up in a sweat have passed with time. ;)

at least for me, I have no idea how she is doing.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Back in the 70s when I was playing full time I had a recurring dream:

My band is playing the Fillmore East. We've arranged the song so that the opening song starts with drums, then the bassist enters, then the guitarist, and then finally ME!

I get behind the B3 and hit that one note that is going to 'blow everybody's mind'. (Yes, that was a technical term in those days). I press the key and...

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. And the rest of the dream is me checking cables and power switches. You get the picture. I wake up in a sweat and start again.

The ironic thing is that, although this happened in a bar where we were the house band, when my amp finally did blow it did so in a way that everything I played came out like a super-distorted Randy Bachman line. I had such a great time making lemonade! My band mates complimented me on the new stuff I was doing. It really helped that I had been listening to Mahavishnu's 'On The Way Home To Earth', especially the last half of the song, during the previous week.

[video:youtube]

My band mates complimented me on the new stuff I was doing.

LOL. You never know.

You were sh**ing bricks and they liked the new sound!

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Ha ha, I get flashbacks of the time I hit the wrong patch on the downbeat of a woman's first dance of her wedding reception. !@#$% Fucking clav with phaser on what should have been a beautiful ballad piano. The nightmares and waking up in a sweat have passed with time. ;)

at least for me, I have no idea how she is doing.

Well, the divorce rate is close to 50%. You probably aren't responsible for much.

Unless, of course, she had a total Bridezilla meltdown and he realized just what he was dealing with. In that case you merely saved him some time.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

ElmerJFudd you have just reminded me of a first dance nightmare. It re-asserted the message of consistency between gig rigs.

For weddings our guitarist would bring a laptop so we could put on first dances and some sponges between our sets. This one wedding the guitarist couldn't make it so we had a dep. For ease I thought I would just load the first dance into Cantabile and use that to play it back.

All was going well until about half way through the first dance I had a mental moment and thought I would do a few pre start checks and scrolled through to the next "scene" within cabtabile like I would always do. Of course doing that stopped the song and there was silence. None of us knew what to do other than applause and cheer and make out it was meant to happen!

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

My music dream is me and Mick going to wing on over to London and jam with the Stones!

Oh wait, that's not what this thread is about? :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived