Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage Vibe Classic 73 with Chick mod initial review

jimkost2002

So, I went to the Vintage Vibe factory to pick up my new piano and the instant Chris brought me in to the staging room and I first touched this amazing nstrument, I instantly felt as if I could play anything I heard!

The responsiveness is phenomenally quick and precise with the Chick mod! It just heightens the experience of the already smooth and fleet original piano! And the sound!!!!!!!!

All I can say is there is NOTHING comparable to a vibrating tine connected to a reall wood keyboard!!!!!!

This beautiful piano is the new engine for my musical endeavors!

Chris Carroll, Eric, Tom, James, Adam and the whole team are truly masters of their craft!

I salute your collective vision in bringing this beautiful instrument into my hands and all of our family!

It's an honor to be part of the Vintage Vibe Family!

(More later, including pics.....gotta practice!!!)

The above were my impressions on Tuesday upon receipt of the piano, I am still in bliss mode, I just play a note or chord and let it sing. Once I get warm and start flying, I have to tear myself away from this beautiful piano.

Who needs 999 sounds when ONE is SO good??? I haven't even started messing with the tone controls or amp settings yet. (I'm currently using a Motion Sound KP 500s and it sounds AWESOME with the VV--I just need a tube preamp for some extra schmutz and a touch of crunch)

I can really sense that this piano has the capability of infinite tonal variety with the right manipulation of frequencies thru judicious EQing.

All the years of going back and forth with digital emulators and approximations are no more. I am finally home.

(There may be times I may have to play those, but that is part and parcel of our profession)

I've got a Moogerfooger Ring Mod coming tomorrow and a Strymon or T-Rex dTape delay as well as more down the road when the time is right.

Weight? 60 lbs and I've got a Rock n Rolla 3-in1 cart coming tomorrow from Sweetwater. When I need another person, there's always someone at the gig or riding along who I can enlist.

Stage/Studio Real Estate? C'mon, it's a Rhodes in a Wurly body and even tho the lid is curved like a Wurly, you can get stackers for $75 and put another keyboard on top. Plus, no more stand wars.

Price? I budgeted and saved for the right time. And when I think of all the money I spent on Nord, Yamaha, Kurz, etc, etc, AND what I lost in resale, it is really not SO expensive. Plus, now I'm gonna have to think about who I will leave this piano to when it's time for me to exit this merry-go-round. Yes, me and her for life. I'm in a family now. With Chris and the crew, it's more than a sale. It's carrying on a legacy and being part of a family/fraternity/brotherhood.

I truly hope my experience will spur many of you to consider going down this road I'm on!!!!

I'd love to hear your feedback!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 73 key active (with Peterson Suitcase Preamp built in) model with Classic (ABS plastic rather than fiberglass) lid.

Both Deluxe (fiberglass) and Classic (ABS plastic) lids are curved like Wurlies. No flat top option. But I'll sound out Chris when I go back to the shop. I'm taking a friend next week or week after.

I saw the stackers last time I was there. they fit the piano snugly and are super strong.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

I truly hope my experience will spur many of you to consider going down this road I'm on!!!!

I'd love to hear your feedback!

Man, and I thought I was the resident Vintage Vibe fan boy. My hat is off to you, Jim. Guess it was about 4 years ago that I wanted to buy one but just couldn't afford it, so I had them "pimp" my Rhodes instead. It's the next best thing, since it doesn't get moved.

VV EP is on my bucket list.

BTW, I also use a Mooger Fooger Ring Mod on my Rhodes. Good choice. :cool:

:nopity:

I have the rubber stackers and can confirm they do their job. Can you explain the Chick mod?
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Yeah what's the Chick mod?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I think a lot of guys would love the luxury of a new VV. But most gigs these days require the convenience of a digital (the huge sound palette of acoustic, electro, and synthetic timbres), the reduced weight and near 0 maintenance other than not dropping it. But for home and the occasional special gig, heck yeah if I had the scratch. But then they compete with restored Rhodes as well. Maybe I'll get lucky one day when one of you guys need to sell one off. ;)

No jealousy, just love. Enjoy your new hot rod! Yes, pictures!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

call them and set up an app't first. It's a busy shop. Yes, they had EP's and a Vibanet set up when I was there last year.

BTW, OT, we have a forum brother who lives in the same town as V V.

Rockaway, NJ is a small town. Next time I am there I'm going to get to meet "lightbg" (Jake).

:nopity:

I don't know the tecnical explanation, but it is a faster rebound and lighter action. The analogy is to the way Horowitz had his personal touring Steinway set up according to his longtime tech Fritz Mohr. Superfast rebound and much lighter action than normal. Keith Jarrett has his Steinways set up in the same way.

But back to VV:

https://www.vintagevibe.com/blogs/news/first-impressions-chris-norton-chick-corea

Robert Bosch, 1919

Jim, does VV make a specific case for it ? Or are you going the anvil route ?

Curious to know what other owners use, case wise for this - Beethree and anyone else out there.

So with the "Chick mod", is that just pertain to the action , not the tone ? Like I said in that last post, I prefer more of the Herbie tone , like Christian McBride is playing on the VV video.

Again congrats. The thing I noticed , even in the noise of NAMM , with phones, is that thickness and girth of tone and overall sound that you don't get with a digital keyboard.

Just to add- You know 60 lbs. is not that bad when you consider some people might take out the Montage 88...and this appears to be less bulky. I was schlepping the 72 lb. CP300 (in a soft Yamaha YBB bag) for almost 4 years, between the ages of 54-58. So it can be done...you just have to pick and choose the gigs you bring it on.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

call them and set up an app't first. It's a busy shop. Yes, they had EP's and a Vibanet set up when I was there last year.

BTW, OT, we have a forum brother who lives in the same town as V V.

Rockaway, NJ is a small town. Next time I am there I'm going to get to meet "lightbg" (Jake).

Dave,

When I first moved here I was surprised to find that Rockaway is actually 46 square miles in size. How it fools everyone is that the Township itself is tiny, but they encompass 5 other towns under the "Township" headline. I actually live 2 miles away from VV , but because Rockaway Township has no post office my mailing address is Dover....... go figure.

Of course you're welcome any time, but you'll have to put up with my B-3 and all my clones........ and my Beagle.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Dave, I have a soft clamshell case from Studio Slips that fits the VV73 like a glove and I will also use the Rock n Rolla 3 in 1 cart.

Curious to know what other owners use, case wise for this - Beethree and anyone else out there.

So with the "Chick mod", is that just pertain to the action , not the tone ? Like I said in that last post, I prefer more of the Herbie tone , like Christian McBride is playing on the VV video.

The Chick mod affects the action first and foremost. It can drive the preamp by touch alone with the proper amp and preamp settings as well as proper gainstaging with a mixer in between.

Again congrats. The thing I noticed , even in the noise of NAMM , with phones, is that thickness and girth of tone and overall sound that you don't get with a digital keyboard.

Exactly!

Just to add- You know 60 lbs. is not that bad when you consider some people might take out the Montage 88...and this appears to be less bulky. I was schlepping the 72 lb. CP300 (in a soft Yamaha YBB bag) for almost 4 years, between the ages of 54-58. So it can be done...you just have to pick and choose the gigs you bring it on.

Wow! If you can do the CP 300 or Montage 88, this is a cakewalk!

Robert Bosch, 1919

Oh, PS, Dave:

If you play with organ or harpsichord technique, or real close to the keys playing in general, you can get that bell-like Herbie sound on this bad boy.

Robert Bosch, 1919

From Chris Carrol on Facebook:

Fred DiLeone and I in conjunction with Chick developed a series of improvements to action regulation among a few other things at Chicks request. The result is a very dynamic fast and articulate response that requires considerably less effort to reach full expression. We are respectfully going to keep these procedures to ourselves for now. We can offer this type of custom work to anyone who purchases a VV piano.

Robert Bosch, 1919

I had a padded bag made by a company called Mouradian. Were I to tour with it that would not suffice, but I have not brought it out except locally. It is light enough in the bag (mine is a 64) that I can carry it like a suitcase with one hand, even with stairs involved.

It is lighter than my Forte in its hard case, albeit bulkier.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Archived