Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"READ THIS BEFORE YOU PLAY MUSIC IN PUBLIC"

p90jr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to a get a copy of that guitar to play at a church gig, just to see the reaction.

I also saw a shark shaped guitar that would also serve for that purpose.

I also imagine an "Ax Blade" guitar body like GENE SIMMON'S bass would do as well. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I'd like to a get a copy of that guitar to play at a church gig, just to see the reaction.

I also saw a shark shaped guitar that would also serve for that purpose.

There is a production model of that guitar- Doyle apparently made the original himself- but I don't recall who makes it.

Just F.Y.I....

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Here's a guy breaking some of these rules, and also showing the need for a few more... that mere mortals should abide by, but he's above that...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8AgdI4eyFc

SO GOOD. :)

He can totally laugh at that list of rules and still be as positive and benevolent about it as a puffy white cloud in a sunny sky smiling down at a hillside of happy trees.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Y'know, if someone wasn't TOLD who these guys were, they might think it was TED DANSON playing the keys in that clip! :D

At the very least, think the bass player went on TV looking like that cuz he lost a bet! ;)

And Caev, nothin' but LOVE for ya man, but leave the metaphors to someone else. ;)

Whitefang

Fang, I think you knew it was your Doobies Brothers nemesis Michael McDonald, as soon as he opened his mouth and that it was not Ted Danson LOL! I think he did the best job of the 3, on the lead vocals LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I knew it was him before he started singing( and inciting me to yawn ;) ) due to the WHITE HAIR. :D Plus being seated at a keyboard. :)

Whitefang

Probably most audiences are filled with people who widely vary in their personal political leanings and are only "like minded" in their love and appreciation of the artist on stage. So any artist that goes out and spouts HIS political views is taking his chances. As for this STRAT business.....

I don't care WHAT make of guitar the guy on stage plays. It's how he PLAYS it is what matters to me. It kinda reminds me of when I first saw JOHN McLAUGHLIN and his Mahavishnu Orchestra.

They opened for an early '72 Emerson, Lake and Palmer concert. Me nad the guys I was with never heard of them before. And when John and the band walked on the stage, we kind of giggled at this guy with SHORT HAIR wearing a WHITE SUIT strutted out sporting a DOUBLE NECK guitar! We at first smirked thinking, "Oh RIGHT. Like he can PLAY that thing!" ;)

It took only a couple of minutes to realize that YEAH! He CAN play that thing! :D

Whitefang

Yeah, John Mclaughlin is the real thing. Him coming out dressed as he was and so clean cut is what creates moments that make a concert memorable. I wish I was there for THAT concert! I reminds me of the first time I saw ZZ Top way back in the early 70s. They opened for Uriah Heep and none of us had ever heard them even though they had just released their third album, Tres Hombres. I started with their stage setup which consisted of Marshall stacks with real longhorns mounted on the top. This cowboy comes out in cowboy boots, jeans, cowboy shirt and 10 gallon hat and says in a Texas drawl, "Howdy! How about a warm Maine welcome for the best little 'ol band from Texas!" There was a smattering of boos, and someone even yelled out F*@k you! I heard someone say "Is this a country band?" It didn't help that when they came out they had on their cowboy regalia and Billy Gibbons was really clean cut with really short hair. Of course they broke into "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" and immediately won over the crowd. It seemed so utterly out of context and very cool and very memorable.

And Caev, nothin' but LOVE for ya man, but leave the metaphors to someone else. ;)

Whitefang

I'll leave 'em all up to you, 'fang, you can deal 'em out like a boss flinging work-orders.

CAUTION : VIDEO & GTR CONTENT

That above is hardly the best representation of TCat, who's a genuinely talented player...

[video:youtube]

...influenced both musically & sartorially by both Bootsy & Geo Clinton....

Not to return to much to a previous angle but re: political views, that's something that comes from every corner of the field, prog rock to country to mainstream (Streisand) but what abt when it's built into the material ?

Early Bob Dyl, Neil Jung's "Ohio" or this gtr slinger...

Still walkin' ?

Or dancin' :w00t: & singin' along ?

d=halfnote

Sure, when it's "built into the material" that's ONE thing. And often, in the case of Dylan, Young and Fogerty, just a SMALL PART of their overall body of work. But I think the main issue is when an artist interrupts an otherwise NON-political occasion with a 20 minute diatribe of their personal political views.

And +1,000 on Thundercat! "Genuinely talented"? Sure. But "Superhuman" also seems apt. :cool:

Whitefang

+1 Fang, you mean like Pete Seeger's Where Have all the Flowers Gone and Country Joe and the Fish Viet Nam Song LOL! Even us old Vets appreciate tunes like that. Fogerty's Fortunate Son and Deja Vu are great tunes too especially for us CCR fans. I first heard Deja Vu when I purchased his The Long Road Home DVD (which was recorded in 2005). It is one of my favorites! I'm with you on leaving the political views at the door and just play the music we all came to hear. I understand that with some artists and events, the diatribes are to be expected...and for those, I choose to stay home LOL! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Trust some to repeat repeat repeat repeat

---------------------------------------------------

That aside, that's a powerful song, LarZ, that I hadn't heard before.

Thankx.

Backtracking a bit, no shirts is 1 thing but why not go alla way.

Geo Clinto used to go onstage wearing nothing but a sheet (& Carry Shider wearing a diaper).

Where they do that now ?

Then we had this short-lived fad

....see below...

[serious :o Parental :o Advisory]

Proceed w/ Caution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ8FunebFg4

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ8FunebFg4

Although it did get a recent update....

d=halfnote

Good call on the Chili Pepper's sock bit, d.

When my wife saw a short clip of that on TV once, she said, "I'd like to see them try THAT using COMPRESSION SOCKS!" :D

Whitefang

• 2 weeks later...

Wherein Terry Bozzio, while in the employ of Frank Zappa, violates most, if not all, rules suggested here, as well as those of common polite society. Luckily FZ makes it all better w/ his closing address to the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTSBR7eHL_I

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTSBR7eHL_I

d=halfnote

Wherein Terry Bozzio, while in the employ of Frank Zappa, violates most, if not all, rules suggested here, as well as those of common polite society. Luckily FZ makes it all better w/ his closing address to the audience.

Wow, every infraction in the book. But very nice of Frank to sit in for a solo with the Terry Bozzio Band.

One of the benefits of working with adults is seeing how well people at the top of their profession do at avoiding mugging for the camera.

Scott Fraser

:)

Particularly great playing there by Eff Zee. Thanks!

I also recall one time seeing some band in a bar where the drummer tried to be fancy and "twirl" his drumstick, only to have it fly out of his hand and hit the bass player in the NECK! :D

Whitefang

Archived