Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Has anyone played a 3-Sensor Fatar TP100 action?

My experience is that I do not prefer any Fatar weighted action to a Yamaha or Kawai weighted action.  The acoustic piano manufacturers get it more right than anyone else in my opinion.  Of course, the TP40 series is usable, but it is not as dynamically controllable - the MIDI data tells the tale.  For unweighted/synth actions - the Fatar TP-8S (their premium action) is the best I've played and is in almost all the hardware synths I own. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nathanael_I said:

My experience is that I do not prefer any Fatar weighted action to a Yamaha or Kawai weighted action.  The acoustic piano manufacturers get it more right than anyone else in my opinion.  Of course, the TP40 series is usable, but it is not as dynamically controllable - the MIDI data tells the tale.  For unweighted/synth actions - the Fatar TP-8S (their premium action) is the best I've played and is in almost all the hardware synths I own. 

I agree. I’ve not found a single Fatar weighted board I like, but the action on my Native S61 is really nice, which I believe uses the TP9s.

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

3 hours ago, JDBlackhawk said:

Trying hard to decide if i should spend the extra thousands for the latest new digital stage piano-outside of the digital consoles with the grand hammer actions-such as the Kawai MP11SE or the Casio GP series-I have no room and no need to spend 4-5000 or more for an additional hammer-weighted digital console. So have been studying incessantly the last month or so trying to talk myself into it-but the more I study and listen-the more I'm convinced I will not get an appreciable better sounding or playing digital without going to a console, or a real grand! For example-I recently picked up an old Korg SP-500-with the "RH-II" Korg action. Wrong, it's a Fatar-i opened it to do some cleaning and restoring and there it was-specifically a TP40, and it's graded. i know this because i have the identical (almost) TP40 in my old Alesis Fusions-not graded!!  And the big surprise-this action is overall heavier than the Fusion TP40 across all octaves (yep!) and plays remarkably well with a lowly P50m Yamahas-outdated-piano module. So.....the conflict is-for a real digital escapement action-except for the Kawai MP11Se which weighs 74 pounds-only the consoles will do. the rest-are all so close in design to what I already have, looks like I have to stand pat. I see nothing but compromises lately-rehashed Fatars, plasticky complex actions, and basically the same Fatar design I already play in instruments most of you would describe as ancient. If I could buy my own key assemblies, I'd build my own digitals from scratch-don't laugh some are doing this already, I've seen a few custom designs on the web. I am in process of taking an old alesis QS-8 with a dead mainboard, and maybe sussing out how to redesign with my own mainboard in there-or a computer tablet with virtual instruments-built into the case-basically using just the case, the keys and the power supply! This too, is a very playable Fatar, the older TP-20 with aftertouch. Why not.

Try something with the latest TP400W - yes, escapement.

20 hours ago, Dave Keys said:

I agree. I’ve not found a single Fatar weighted board I like, but the action on my Native S61 is really nice, which I believe uses the TP9s.

In a hammer action board, I like the more lightly weighted versions of the TP/40, i.e. the TP/40L used in many Kurzweils. The heavier TP/40s aren't bad, but I don't like them as much. In non-hammer boards, I like that TP/9S too. I liked what I think is a TP/8P in the Kurzweil Artis7, though only after I put more lightly weighted springs in it. I believe that's also what's in the Dexibell S1.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)