Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Triceps tendonitis

Dave Bryce

I had this issue a number of years ago. If you use heat you have to alternate between heat and ice, but end each session with ice. This was recommended by my Doctor. He strongly recommended against heat alone. Heat provides short term relief but doesn't aid in the healing process. Also be patient, it took about 6 six weeks for my full recovery.

Good luck!

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Risk Factors for Tendonitis Include:

injury

stress

poor posture

any occupation or vocation involving repetitive motion (i.e. athletes, carpenters, gardeners, and musicians)

any abnormality in the bone or joint

age (starting at 40 y.o.)"

The over 40 musicians in the room please stand up! LOL

Keep good posture and form, don't push it after it starts to tingle, avoid injury to begin with cause once it's tweaked it takes what feels like forever to settle down.

I've had it in my shoulders (twice) and my wrists (once). One time it hurt so bad I was getting nauseous from the chronic un-ending pain. Could only sleep in one position and that position sucked for sleeping! ;)

Stay healthy my musical friends!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

We are not happy. :(:rolleyes::mad::pop:

Left elbow. Ow. :P

dB

My daughter's an athletic trainer; she recommends what you need is tricep eccentric exercises: https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=yUdCQVXw&id=08E29845F94B9ED9F9DA02D1995AB6B0B61A1388&q=Eccentric+Tricep+Extension+Exercises&simid=608040063441439060&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

She says if you're doing it right, it will hurt by the time you get to the last "set", but do NOT ice.

Kurzweil PC4-7, Studiologic Numa X 73

One time it hurt so bad I was getting nauseous from the chronic un-ending pain. Could only sleep in one position and that position sucked for sleeping!

I am in that stage right now.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I hear what you're saying. Nonetheless, if you type tricep tendonitis or triceps tendonitis into a search, both seem to show up... :idk:

So does knowimsayin' and irregardless.

Not the same.

I'd say it'd be difficult to find people who'd agree that both of those are correct, and that there are probably not two ways to type either of those that would make both of them come up in a search engine (although I do admit I haven't tried).

My next examples to reinforce my POV would probably be: tri-tip (has three tips) and triangle (has three angles)...

...and you do have to admit it was more than a bit funny that you had to go back and edit a spelling error/typo in a post correcting my grammar. :D

No! Typos are only funny when other people make them!

I dunno - I've made some pretty funny typos in my day. Comes from looking down at the damn keys instead of the screen. :facepalm:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Will be watching this thread, having same issue with pain in right elbow. Not fun. I suspect it's my air drumming I do at the gym is the main cause, but it could be reaching for a glass of water that was on the right of the chair I sit in at home did something (not doing that anymore.)

I'd say it'd be difficult to find people who'd agree that both of those are correct, and that there are probably not two ways to type either of those that would make both of them come up in a search engine (although I do admit I haven't tried).

My next examples to reinforce my POV would probably be: tri-tip (has three tips) and triangle (has three angles)...

With the caveat that I can talk about this stuff for hours...

Not exactly. There are a couple of things at play here. One is the "false plural" of the name of those two muscles, particularly since they are often grouped in with other actual plurals (delts, pecs, biceps), so English-speakers follow the usual rules of our language and assume a singular form (bicep) where there is none. Note that this is not because users of the term know the "three heads" origin of the term; it is because of the raw custom that plural words with 's' at the end, can be turned singular by removing the 's.' In this case, this is compounded by the fact that the word is not, itself, an English word, so people don't have a reference for whether removing the 's' sounds right (as they would, for example, if you removed the 's' from "physics" or "clothes").

Since that occurs, the second issue arises: usage begets usage. Since 'tricep' kind of sounds right as a (false) singular, it only takes seeing or hearing the term once or twice to confirm one's own sense that the version with an 's' is plural, and a version without the 's' exists and is singular. So more and more people use the form--meaning, it is not surprising that you would see it in search results. From a linguistics standpoint, that makes the new usage a "word." But it doesn't change the name of the muscle itself.

The 'tritip' and 'triangle' example you gave is actually a good example of the normal rules of English pluralization working as someone expects: one triangle, two triangles. One tritip, two tritips. This gets subverted in cases where plurals are indistinct from the singular (fish, sheep; scissors, trousers). (The "tri" aspect of those words is a bit of a red herring, as most users of the word "tricep/s" are not translating in real time from English to Latin to determine that they are talking about three heads; they are just using the name of the muscle as they learned it, and the rules of English as they understand them.)

As for irregardless--you will absolutely find an 'alternate' spelling: the word regardless. Irregardless is the bastard child of irrespective and regardless, and was taught for years as one of the "it's not a word" words in English class. But that's not true: just like 'tricep,' from a linguistics standpoint, once a word is used, it exists.

But just because both forms are alive, doesn't mean they are both proper. Irregardless is used, but regardless is proper. This could shift over time, of course. But it hasn't yet.

Ditto 'tricep/s.'

www.joshweinstein.com

With the caveat that I can talk about this stuff for hours...

As can I! I love this stuff. :cool:

Since that occurs, the second issue arises: usage begets usage. Since 'tricep' kind of sounds right as a (false) singular, it only takes seeing or hearing the term once or twice to confirm one's own sense that the version with an 's' is plural, and a version without the 's' exists and is singular. So more and more people use the form--meaning, it is not surprising that you would see it in search results. From a linguistics standpoint, that makes the new usage a "word." But it doesn't change the name of the muscle itself.

The 'tritip' and 'triangle' example you gave is actually a good example of the normal rules of English pluralization working as someone expects: one triangle, two triangles. One tritip, two tritips.

Sorry, I must disagree.

You say it's triceps because there are three heads, which is totally logical. However - unless I'm missing something - it's called a triangle because there are three angles. It's called a tritip because there are three tips. Same thing as far as I can tell. :idk:

Another POV - your left and right arm both have biceps, where the one on your right arm is your right bicep.

Can Merriam Webster considered an authority?

Again, I believe both will work. They seem to agree (although in all fairness, triceps is the one with the definition so tricep is clearly the alt).

As for irregardless--you will absolutely find an 'alternate' spelling: the word regardless. Irregardless is the bastard child of irrespective and regardless, and was taught for years as one of the "it's not a word" words in English class. But that's not true: just like 'tricep,' from a linguistics standpoint, once a word is used, it exists.

But just because both forms are alive, doesn't mean they are both proper.

Again, I cannot concur.

If you type irregardless into that MW web site, it'll tell you it's a nonstandard form of regardless. Not the same as an alternate. Irregardless is just plain ol' wrong.

dB

I thought it was tricep's.

;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I thought it was tricep's.

I believe that's the name of their restaurant...or was it a bar? :idea::eek:

Huh. I thought the name of that place was Tritip's.

There's a place we've been driving by called "Twin's Hair Salon." I keep thinking that's right if it's owned by a person named Twin or only one of the twins... :mad:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Heh - according to Wikipedia, it was originally Chris Steak House, and then it was bought by Ruth Fertel.

The sales agreement with [Chris] Matulich prevented her from using the original name at any other address, so she named the new restaurant Ruth's Chris Steak House in order to keep some continuity with the previous location.[16] She admitted later to Fortune Magazine that "I've always hated the name, but we've always managed to work around it."

Another one is Zoës Kitchen. It apparently used to have the apostrophe in the name but for some reason it was removed. :facepalm:

Heh - according to Wikipedia, it was originally Chris Steak House, and then it was bought by Ruth Fertel.

The sales agreement with [Chris] Matulich prevented her from using the original name at any other address, so she named the new restaurant Ruth's Chris Steak House in order to keep some continuity with the previous location.[16] She admitted later to Fortune Magazine that "I've always hated the name, but we've always managed to work around it."

Yep, I know the history. I still think it's goofy, and will always think it sounds like Chris himself belongs to Ruth.

If he wouldn't let her use the name, maybe she should have changed to Ruth Steak House. :hitt:

dB

You say it's triceps because there are three heads, which is totally logical. However - unless I'm missing something - it's called a triangle because there are three angles. It's called a tritip because there are three tips. Same thing as far as I can tell. :idk:

I see what you're going for here, but there are a couple of crucial differences: The primary one is that, regardless of origin (about which more below), triceps is the name of that muscle, just as triangle is the name of that shape. I don't mean that in a scoldy way, I mean: we apprehend names-for-things as cognates--single indicators divorced from their origins. Your name David remains David, regardless of whether some folks are named Davis, or pronounce it Dah-veed, or go by Davy-Davy-Crockett. We do not reparse names-for-things when we deploy cognates. [The thing] is [the thing]. So the simple answer to the "triangle" question is, they are different because they are different.

But the real issue there is this: our language is simply not consistent. We say "argot" with the "oh" sound at the end, but have no trouble also saying "forgot," with the "aht" at the end. We say "bicycle," with "sickle" at the end, but have no trouble also saying "motorcyle" with "sigh-kuhl" at the end. We say "other" and "another," but also "a whole nother," which has no independent meaning when spelled out, but is completely intuitive said aloud.

Most directly, think of the term "forceps." We have no trouble perceiving that as singular: "Give me a scalpel and a forceps." The (false) singular sounds wrong: "Give me a forcep." And it's not like anyone is translating on the fly and thinks it might be a Latin term for "forehead." (It's not, though it's the same 'ceps.') We have cognitive contingency plans built into our understanding of language for its exceptions.

So asking "what about tri-" something else, is not quite relevant, except as an intellectual exercise; the name of that muscle is "triceps," false plural and all, confusing or otherwise, forever and ever amen. (Again, leaving the huge loophole that if enough people start saying 'tricep,' it will shift over time.)

Finally, it's a nerd-point (right. Like the rest of it isn't), but: you're mixing types of words. Triceps is a Latin term, imported untouched. (Which is to say, we don't have the word "ceps" in English, except as parts of other Latin-imports.) So it is particularly "cognatey," in that users are most decidedly not deploying knowledge about the roots when they use the term, they are simply citing the referent name. On the other hand, "triangle" is an intuitively constructed combination of otherwise English terms, and therefore follows the rules of normal English naming conventions. (Prefixes "bi-" "tri-" and the like are intrinsically plural; the affixes do not take an additional "s" or other signifier, as you noticed with your two examples.)

Horse is dead. Maybe they'll serve it at Ruth's Chris.

www.joshweinstein.com

My sympathies, Dave. I've had tendonitis so bad that I can't even hold a coffee cup with one hand and have to use two hands to drink from it. Currently dealing with another bout of tendonitis, but its nearing its end. Also dealing with carpal tunnel and thumb arthritis... but I always manage to do my gigs regardless of what's going on (amazing how that works) but the next day....

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Triceps:

Tri [Latin] = 3

Cephal [Latin] = Head

Triceps = three headed muscle.

Hence three points of attachment.

Guess 44 years in the medical field has finally paid off.

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

You want to ice it after you do anything at all which may inflame the tendon, and after you rest it for 3-4 week and even if there is no pain, continue to ice it after every time you play for the next few weeks after that.

An easy way to ice it is to get a small Dixie cup, and fill it almost all the way with water and freeze it. When you use this, hold the cup by the bottom and massage the ice onto the sore area, alternating clockwise and counterclockwise for at least 10 minutes. Then refreeze the cup, and tear off from the top as you use it.

You want to ice it after you do anything at all which may inflame the tendon, and after you rest it for 3-4 week and even if there is no pain, continue to ice it after every time you play for the next few weeks after that.

An easy way to ice it is to get a small Dixie cup, and fill it almost all the way with water and freeze it. When you use this, hold the cup by the bottom and massage the ice onto the sore area, alternating clockwise and counterclockwise for at least 10 minutes. Then refreeze the cup, and tear off from the top as you use it.

A great trick. I use it on my hip and lower back. :thu:

Thanks for the advice! Couldn't agree more. Hooray for liquid gel ice paks. :)

dB

I don't know if it would help triceps, but you should investigate guasha, or gua sha.

I had it done on my right arm last Monday and the previous Monday, but not nearly as radically as in the photos you see online. Basically, my chiropractor, or one of his assistants uses a hard plastic scraper like this, along with coconut oil, to "scrape" my forearm.

When I first had it done, each scrape felt like there was sand beneath my skin - that's what you are breaking up with this technique. It relieves pain by removing toxins and increasing blood flow. You must drink a ton of water afterward, though, to flush it out of you. But I have definitely noticed improvement. It's why I went back the second week to have it done again. You can only get so much out in one treatment.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived