Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Possible new project ... and a question for you all

EddiePlaysBass

A while back I started a new band / project with some friends. We recruited a guitarist who turns out to be very, very good. So that is cool. After one or two rehearsals, this guitarist asked if I wanted to try out for his other project. Why not? Since he was looking for a singer, I suggested one I worked with last year.

We got together last Tuesday. The drummer turns out to play in a punk band. This punk band also consists of the singer of my above-mentioned project and the guitarist of my rockabilly band. Small world indeed!

One of the first things the guitarist said was: "Guys, if I am too loud, just tell me. I have guitar ears." Did I mention I really like this guy? Anyway, there's also a keys player there.

The drummer actually wanted to bail but agreed to help us out, so the rest of us could at least check if we like each other. We played through 5 or so of the agreed-upon songs, and then jammed on some others. I hate jamming. But it went well.

Afterwards, the guitarist told me that he asked me based on two things: he thinks I got rhythm (always a plus) and apparently he loves my bass tone :) I play an Orange Terror Bass 500 through a Barefaced Super Twin (and my trusted Marcus Miller Jazz) and quite like my tone, too :) Still, it is nice to be noticed!

Anyway, he did mention that I need to "fill out the sound" more. I will ask him what he means by that, but I am wondering if any of you ever had similar feedback and what to make of it?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You hate jamming? For me jamming makes the musical world go around. Hey, I ain't hatin', to each their own.

As far as taking up more sonic space that can mean either busier playing or EQ/FX (usually) some for of dirt and/or boosted mids, or both.

I use all of the above in my band.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

A while back I started a new band / project with some friends. We recruited a guitarist who turns out to be very, very good. So that is cool. After one or two rehearsals, this guitarist asked if I wanted to try out for his other project. Why not? Since he was looking for a singer, I suggested one I worked with last year.

We got together last Tuesday. The drummer turns out to play in a punk band. This punk band also consists of the singer of my above-mentioned project and the guitarist of my rockabilly band. Small world indeed!

One of the first things the guitarist said was: "Guys, if I am too loud, just tell me. I have guitar ears." Did I mention I really like this guy? Anyway, there's also a keys player there.

The drummer actually wanted to bail but agreed to help us out, so the rest of us could at least check if we like each other. We played through 5 or so of the agreed-upon songs, and then jammed on some others. I hate jamming. But it went well.

Afterwards, the guitarist told me that he asked me based on two things: he thinks I got rhythm (always a plus) and apparently he loves my bass tone :) I play an Orange Terror Bass 500 through a Barefaced Super Twin (and my trusted Marcus Miller Jazz) and quite like my tone, too :) Still, it is nice to be noticed!

Anyway, he did mention that I need to "fill out the sound" more. I will ask him what he means by that, but I am wondering if any of you ever had similar feedback and what to make of it?

Guitarist worried that he could possibly too loud? Wants more bass? Dude! You've found the legendary Unicorn Guitarist!

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

"Fill out the sound?"

Surprising if there are keys present, where sometimes you may find you have hold back. If it's true, you just may need an EQ tweak to find your space within and not overstepping others' sound space.

So..... You wouldn't happen to be looking for a name for the band, would you?

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Just the one guitar, and keys. But yeah my sentiment exactly! Only song where I really felt I could have "played more" (as in "fills") was Knocking On Heaven's Door. I don't like that song very much, to be honest, and I forgot that it is filled with bass fills :)

Only song where I really felt I could have "played more" (as in "fills") was Knocking On Heaven's Door. I don't like that song very much, to be honest, and I forgot that it is filled with bass fills :)
Well, it's a crowd favorite, especially in the second or third set when you are winding down the crowd before closing time. The good news is there are about 20,000 cover versions you can check out, from reggae to hard rock, and steal the fills and grooves you like.

As for filling the space, you might just ask the guitar player what he means, rather than guessing. Communication in a band is a big deal, talk to the keyboard player as well, does he like to play a lot of parts or notes, or is he " coloring " the accompaniment without trying to stand out?

Back to playing bass, on Dylan's "Blood on the Tracks" album there are a lot of great examples of how the bass players on different tracks fill it up while still leaving enough space. It's my favorite Dylan studio album. Rick Danko is another great example of "filling space" without standing out, as was Pete Farndon of the Pretenders.

Good luck on the band, it sounds like you have the right mix of players and personalities.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Guitarist worried that he could possibly too loud? Wants more bass? Dude! You've found the legendary Unicorn Guitarist!

More like a unicorn riding Bigfoot, riding Nessie.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I was contemplating my withdrawal from this band, on the basis that I really do not want to play this type of music anymore, and I know the template they are using to base this project on - it is not something I want to be doing. However, I got the singer in on this so I figured I at least owe it to him to give this a try.

Yesterday the singer texted me, saying he is out. Apparently he does not like the direction the guitarist and keys player have in mind. Based on this, the guitarist then sort of suggested to the drummer that he should quit, which he did.

I haven't thrown in the towel yet, because for me the drummer was the weakest link and now I am curious where this is going. However, I don't think I will remain in this project for too long.

On a side-note, the guitarist of this project stepped out of "my project" due to lack of time. I will admit it played into my decision and desire to (no longer) be part of this project. We're in the process of replacing him - would be funny if suddenly he would want to come back. I think I'd say "no" to that.

I decided to stick around a little longer. The keys player indicated he wants to move away from the "typical" songs - whilst retaining a certain amount to "please the crowd".

The guitarist found a "pro drummer" and has contacted some singer that both he and the keys guy are enthused about. My guess is, the singer is some local legend I am supposed to know ;)

I'd've asked him then :idk but still do that rather than tryna guess. Just more efficient that way.

d=halfnote

• 7 months later...

Nothing materialized back in April, and we called it quits after the one rehearsal and some emails back and forth. To be honest, I had forgotten all about it when out of the blue, I got a mail last Sunday from the keys player.

Turns out he and the guitarist want to give it another go, and were wondering if I am still interested. My initial reaction was: "Hell no!!" So I replied and said: "Sure, keep me posted!" Both he and the guitarist are crazy talented. Pretty sure at least one of them is also incredibly difficult to work with but that'll give me something to complain about.

And I may finally figure out how I am supposed to "fill out the sound" :D

Aye Man sure why not give it a rattle.

With regard to filling the sound, this is a psychological thing individual to players. I personally love the naked sound of a trio playing - I think just wing it, throw in the odd octave, arpeggio or chord. The real secret to a big sound is how you arrange the music. Good luck!!

Archived