Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mel9 update . . . power supply issues?

Winston Psmith

Ah, yes, the specter of EHX QC raises its head once more . . .

Been working out with my Mel9 pedal lately, going for a distinctly old-school Prog sound for my next album project. Went to power up this morning, and . . . the On light for the effect was glowing bright as a warning light at a railroad crossing, but no sound? Cut off the effect, and the Dry sound came through just fine, hit the pedal switch once more, and got the sound of silence.

I'm good about checking my cables and connections, even have a cable tester sitting about for that very reason, so I knew that my set-up was good. Everything was working last night, and as of this morning I hadn't changed anything. Of course, I unplugged all the cables, audio & power both, then re-connected everything. I did that twice before the Mel9 seemed to wake up.

Looking in the EHX boards, this seems to be a common issue with the Mel9 pedal, especially if you're not using the power supply that ships with it, at least according to the responses from EHX. Some folks have run into it with the C9 pedal, as well. In almost every case, unplugging the power supply, then plugging back in seemed to solve the problem, although, to me, that raises more questions than answers, as EHX says there's nothing in the Mel9 that needs to re-set on power-up. Sitting around in my Music room, this is an inconvenience, at worst, but in a live setting, having your signal drop out altogether when you hit the pedal . . . doubleplusnotgood.

In my case, I've only used the power supply that comes with it, which isn't anything special, just your general-issue 200mA center-negative power supply, and I'm plugged into a heavy-duty surge suppressor/power conditioner that isn't anywhere near its 15 Amp max output load. FWIW, the Manual for the Mel9 claims that it only draws 100mA, so the 200mA power supply should be more than adequate.

I've only had the Mel9 for about 7 months, so I'll see if this comes up again. EHX seems aware of the issue, but keeps trying to push it back onto users who are daisy-chaining the power with other pedals, which I'm not doing, or using some 3rd party, after-market power supply; again, that's not the case with my Mel9. In the meantime, I'll get all the use out of it that I can, and see what happens. I enjoy it enough that I'd be willing to try another, if there is a repeat issue with the one I have.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My EH Black Finger tube compressor gets wonky every now and then, and I only use the power supply that came with it (a weird two-prong rather than barrel plug). Mostly it's when I'm playing a place with poor power or wiring; then it starts making spaceship noises and I have to turn it on & off a few times, unplug it, plug it back in, etc. It's a shame it's happening all over, because I generally like EH products.

If it happens to you again, make sure you get a replacement or repair under warranty.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

@Scott and Danzilla - May be just a one-time glitch, but I'm always wary. I've thought of using the 1 Spot, because of the higher power output, but still, I would think the 200mA power supply should more than do the job. I don't tend to daisy-chain my pedals, and can't even think of the last time I'd done it? Just an aside; it works better with humbuckers than single-coils. Quite a few reports of low output or poor tracking with single-coils.

It's still under warranty, so if I have any more problems, I would just go back to the store I got it from, to try another one. Among the posts I read on the issue, no one reported a Mel9 failing altogether, but more than a few users had given up and returned theirs, for something else, or their money back. The one poster who'd run into the problem with their C9 exchanged it for another, and had no further problems with the replacement unit. I'd almost be inclined to think that the problem might lie with the inexpensive power supplies, including the EHX-issued one?

I'll be using it a good bit in the next few days, so I'll keep you posted (pun intended) . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Reliability was the issue back in the 70s and now it creeps back. I had a hazarai that acted wierd and find out the rotary pot has acted up for others. Read the forum at the ehx website and there are a number of reliability complaints about many different pedals. I dont know what percentage of sales that represents maybe high, maybe low. I returned the hazarai and ordered a digitech obscura. Then i read at least one instance of failure about one of those. I like the sound and uniqueness of ehx effects so i keep coming back. It seems digitech is starting to beat ehx at their own game with the upcoming freqout feedback pedal but its too bad that reliabilty issue hasnt been laid to rest.

FunMachine.

Spent most of yesterday working on Music, and checking out the Mel9. Haven't had a repeat of the problem, as yet, but I'll see. It's weird, wet and warm here today, with the threat of high winds, so I'm indoors.

Ordinarily, I would consider the possibility of user error, but I hadn't changed anything in my set-up from the previous day, other than to power down, which involved simply turning off the main power strip. All the plugs and cables remained just as they were.

I'm glad it seems to be working . . . this is one pedal I enjoy enough to consider having a back-up. FWIW, I have more Synths than I do Guitars, (Wavetable, FM, L/A, Analog Subtractive & VA) and it's not that easy to emulate the Mellotron sound in any of them.

Spent most of yesterday working on Music, and checking out the Mel9. Haven't had a repeat of the problem, as yet, but I'll see. It's weird, wet and warm here today, with the threat of high winds, so I'm indoors.

Ordinarily, I would consider the possibility of user error, but I hadn't changed anything in my set-up from the previous day, other than to power down, which involved simply turning off the main power strip. All the plugs and cables remained just as they were.

I'm glad it seems to be working . . . this is one pedal I enjoy enough to consider having a back-up. FWIW, I have more Synths than I do Guitars, (Wavetable, FM, L/A, Analog Subtractive & VA) and it's not that easy to emulate the Mellotron sound in any of them.

Glad the gremlin took a powder, and I hope he stays on the lamb for good.

By the way, I'm going to try out a Mel9 today, myself!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

FWIW, I have more Synths than I do Guitars, (Wavetable, FM, L/A, Analog Subtractive & VA) and it's not that easy to emulate the Mellotron sound in any of them.

And that's what I love about the Mellotron, it was a distinctive voice, as unique as a Rhodes, Wurlitzer, or Clavinet.

Scott Fraser

@Caevan - I'll be very interested to hear what you think of it. Couple of things to bear in mind . . .

It doesn't seem to respond to note-bending. While this may seem an odd omission for any Guitar effect, IIRC there wasn't any way to bend notes on the original Mellotrons' either, so it may seem more authentic.

Different voices have slightly different ranges. Orchestra drops out at around the 18th fret on my 1st string, a couple of other voices fall just shy of the 22nd fret, others go all the way up the neck. Not having a 24-fret Guitar on hand right now, I don't know how far those voices extend. How often you'll be reaching for those notes with the Mel9 is another matter.

You can't get rid of, or tone down the Vibrato.

Dynamics can be uneven. Not awful, but a consistent right-hand technique will help greatly. Finger-picking can be hit-or-miss. I have my best luck with a strong pick attack.

As always, use a Guitar as much like your own as possible, if you don't feel like bringing your own Guitar to test the box.

Also, I'm starting to see listings for the Synth9, at the same retail price as all the other "9" pedals, right around $220+/-. Happy hunting . . .

Archived