Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hollow vs. Semihollow Electrics

Delta

I know nothing about Eastman guitars but this guitar looks great. I'm interested in a cheaper alternative to a Heritage H-555.

https://www.eastmanguitars.com/thinline-t486

https://reverb.com/item/4460814-eastman-t-486-2017-2-color-sunburst-beautiful-top-2017-2-tone-sunburst

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know nothing about Eastman guitars but this guitar looks great. I'm interested in a cheaper alternative to a Heritage H-555.

Small company in Beijing which started out making violins & cellos about 15-20 years ago, then realized those handcarving techniques could be applied to guitar building. They're mostly hand built, no CNC machining, mostly solid woods, impeccable craftsmanship. The 2 Eastmans I have are the cream of the collection of around 2 dozen guitars here. Not cheap, but a whole lot of guitar for the money.

Scott Fraser

Thanks. They look really nice in the pictures. What are the electronics like? Pot and pickup replacements are a pain in a Semi-Hollow.

Thanks. They look really nice in the pictures. What are the electronics like? Pot and pickup replacements are a pain in a Semi-Hollow.

One of mine has a floating Kent Armstrong jazz pickup, which is excellent. The other is a prototype nylon string with a piezo/internal mic system. Predictably the piezo sounds like every piezo I've heard; hard, brittle, unnatural. Not Eastman's fault, that's just how piezos sound to me. The internal mic sounds just like the guitar acoustically. I haven't gigged with that one yet. I can't say about the pots, since I tend to find the sweet spot & leave it there for years, just rolling the tone up or down a bit to match the venue.

The one you posted has Seymour Duncans, so I don't see any replacement work needed there at all. The only modification I would imagine would be to add a Bigsby.

Scott Fraser

I have so many Eastman instruments that I try to resist another, but it's hard. :-) I expect to have an Eastman mandola later this year, and have several acoustic guitars from them (parlour, 12-string, and a "00" on hold).

They even make saxes now, but those seem overpriced and a risk compared to known alternatives. I hear their actual reed production is pretty good though so might try out a box soon.

I'm considering one of their cello models as well.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I have so many Eastman instruments that I try to resist another, but it's hard. :-) I expect to have an Eastman mandola later this year, and have several acoustic guitars from them (parlour, 12-string, and a "00" on hold).

They even make saxes now, but those seem overpriced and a risk compared to known alternatives. I hear their actual reed production is pretty good though so might try out a box soon.

I'm considering one of their cello models as well.

Wow!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Small company in Beijing which started out making violins & cellos about 15-20 years ago, then realized those handcarving techniques could be applied to guitar building. They're mostly hand built, no CNC machining, mostly solid woods, impeccable craftsmanship. The 2 Eastmans I have are the cream of the collection of around 2 dozen guitars here. Not cheap, but a whole lot of guitar for the money.

@CEB, Check out the Peerless Hardtail (ES-335 clone). IMO, this is one hell of a guitar for $1100.00.

http://guitarsnjazz.com/product/peerless-hardtail-3006836/

The "brownburst" or "Tobaccoburst finish is on sale for $949. Man, put the pickups of your choice in there and you've got a killer semi.

Just a thought. As I've previously written, the Eastmans are great guitars and an excellent value as well.

If you play cool, you are cool.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-les-paul-traditional-pro-ii-electric-guitar/j40313000004000?pdpSearchTerm=epiphone guitars#productDetail <---if you're still looking for a Les Paul type guitar Delta, check out this Epi...a buddy bought one and for the price it can really add to the arsenal. He had to buy a case for $100 and have the frets dressed and set up for $80. For a total of $580. He's very happy with it so far. I'll get to try it out next week! :cool:

Update: I got a chance to play on my buddy's new Epi LP Pro II today. It sounds, plays and feels great! It has a thicker D shaped neck like the older models or the Eric Johnson Strat, with no taper. It feels good and would not be hard to get used to. I like a slim taper 60's neck but this thicker neck felt pretty good. The finish and looks are great. The push/pull knobs for db gain and single to double coils work very well with silent switching. Very nice for the price! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Eastman T486 this weekend and it is the most amazing thin body I have ever played. The neck break angle is Gibson-accurate. Nice striped neck binding, and great ebony fingerboard.

I never plugged it in, and now regret that decision, but I didn't want to lose my focus and priority on the "Nick Drake" upgrade that I had gone for.

The thing is, I was planning on getting the Ray Benson version with the trapeze tail piece, the simpler two-knob layout, and especially the Lollar pickups vs. the oh-so-common Seymour Duncan Jazz/'59 combo.

As the Ray Benson is hard to find and would have to be ordered, I'm wondering whether it would be better just to get the one I've tried -- though Eastman necks are consistently good. I had convinced myself the Lollar pickups would be more versatile and set apart from my other guitars than the SD set.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks for the review on the T486 !!! That guitar has been on my radar since your first post about the Eastmans.

My technician recommends the Hofner Verythin, which I didn't even bother trying last weekend when I saw one for the first time. I tried their bass and loved it, but it never occurred to me to bother trying the guitar.

He says these are well-built instruments, with very little work needed for setup or maintenance, and that they have a unique sound with a wide tonal palette due to a unique design.

If it isn't sold, I'll try it when I return to the local indie store this coming week. I plan to buy the bass, if I have the dough.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETD2VNNH <---I'm kind of getting gas over this new $900 EPI Master Built Archtop with hidden electronics... :drool:

Well, I received the guitar from SW a couple of weeks ago and mailed it back today. SW was very good about taking the guitar back and sending a return authorization and mailing label. I would buy from them again.

The last Epi ES-175 I bought had a problem with the output jack. I liked the guitar so much that I kept it anyway and bought a special tool so I can maintain it myself. It has been working fine. This Masterbilt Epi also had an electronics problem as it had no volume on the 1st E string. Probably due to the piezo wire misaligned and/or slipping under the bridge saddle. Could also be a loose wire or pot problem but I'm pretty sure it's in the bridge wiring. They would have fixed the guitar and/or replaced it at SW but I decided to just return it for credit. It had some fretting problem on the low Estring from the 9th to 12th fret, which could be resolved by a setup. The guitar may be well liked by the other reviewers but it didn't fit with my playing style. I could make it rattle if I played anything but lightly. The electronics did pick up a lot of string squeak but it still sounded very nice.

Anyway, I was sad having to return it as it looked really nice and the action was very nice. If there were any future electronics that needed replacing, it would be a difficult guitar to do repair work on, so I decided not to take any chances.

So that's about all I can say about it for now...I'm glad I got to try it out and wished it would have worked for me. :cool:

ps. Brother Fred, hope you can resist that GAS as you don't need another hollow body LOL!

Take care, Larryz

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ETD2VNNH <---I'm kind of getting gas over this new $900 EPI Master Built Archtop with hidden electronics... :drool:

Well, I received the guitar from SW a couple of weeks ago and mailed it back today. SW was very good about taking the guitar back and sending a return authorization and mailing label. I would buy from them again.

The last Epi ES-175 I bought had a problem with the output jack. I liked the guitar so much that I kept it anyway and bought a special tool so I can maintain it myself. It has been working fine. This Masterbilt Epi also had an electronics problem as it had no volume on the 1st E string. Probably due to the piezo wire misaligned and/or slipping under the bridge saddle. Could also be a loose wire or pot problem but I'm pretty sure it's in the bridge wiring. They would have fixed the guitar and/or replaced it at SW but I decided to just return it for credit. It had some fretting problem on the low Estring from the 9th to 12th fret, which could be resolved by a setup. The guitar may be well liked by the other reviewers but it didn't fit with my playing style. I could make it rattle if I played anything but lightly. The electronics did pick up a lot of string squeak but it still sounded very nice.

Anyway, I was sad having to return it as it looked really nice and the action was very nice. If there were any future electronics that needed replacing, it would be a difficult guitar to do repair work on, so I decided not to take any chances.

So that's about all I can say about it for now...I'm glad I got to try it out and wished it would have worked for me. :cool:

ps. Brother Fred, hope you can resist that GAS as you don't need another hollow body LOL!

I'm sorry to learn that, Larry!

I'm surprised that got past Sweetwater Sound and they shipped it to you in the first place!

Any chance that you'd try another, or maybe even the same one if it was made right?

Thanks a bunch Caevan! No, I don't think I'll try another one as I have more guitars than I need. I was only buying this one as it is kind of a special arch top flashback to the 30's. Kind of a let down after the GAS attack. I was wondering how it got out of the Epiphone factory? Maybe they only test one out of 10 or so on the production line...SW does have a 55 point inspection but I think they might overlook a thing or two LOL! They have been very good so far on taking it back. Hopefully they will credit the full amount on my card next month! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Thanks a bunch Caevan! No, I don't think I'll try another one as I have more guitars than I need. I was only buying this one as it is kind of a special arch top flashback to the 30's. Kind of a let down after the GAS attack. I was wondering how it got out of the Epiphone factory? Maybe they only test one out of 10 or so on the production line...SW does have a 55 point inspection but I think they might overlook a thing or two LOL! They have been very good so far on taking it back. Hopefully they will credit the full amount on my card next month! :thu:

To be fair, hings may have gone awry during shipping. Under-saddle piezo pickups like that can be fragile and, as you mentioned, easily thrown-off by misalignment and other physical factors of the bridge they're installed in.

Years ago I had just such an under-saddle piezoelectric pickup installed in a beautiful Alvarez-Yairy, by a VERY competent, world-class luthier (at the time, one of his many ardent clients was violinist Jean Luc Ponty). He'd spent a good deal of time carefully milling the bottom of the bridge-slot and the underside of the bridge-saddle to tweak and balance the response to all of the strings, rather than just slapping it under there and calling it 'done'.

Things went a little sour later on that year, and then it stopped working altogether. In spite of a more than two-week waiting list for repairs and mods (he was a busy man in great demand!), he graciously told me "come back in about a half an hour, go get some lunch or something", and installed a new replacement piezo, citing that "it never should have gone bad like that", refusing to take any payment.

So, these things happen!

Thanks Brother Fred! A great story Caevan...Sounds like you had a wonderful luthier. One of my Taylor nylon acoustic guitars had a piezo problem right out of the box, that was fixed by a Taylor recommended luthier. Took him a couple of hours but he got the saddle shaved and brought the guitar back to life under warranty. Things happen...none of my other acoustics have had a piezo problem for many many years. :cool:
Take care, Larryz

That's a shame; I had the impression the QC would be far higher than normal on this new Epi line.

+1 Sharkman, it is a great looker and a lot of thought was given to Arch Top historical details and quality so I won't judge Epi based upon my playing ability and a minor QC flaw LOL! The round sound-hole version would be another way to go (while saving a few bucks) but I was in love with the f-holes concept! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Larry, if it was made in Indonesia it was probably made in the Samick factory, so QC may not be up to Epiphone standards like the Chinese models, which are mode in the Epiphone factory. I'm not sure that's the problem but it could be. Samick makes guitars for several brands, some cheap, some high end. I wounder if the quality is any different.

The best Asian Epiphones were the older Korean built Samick Sheraton IIs. I'm currently not much a fan but I'm not their target market. I'm an old player and most my pieces I acquired here and there when I was young.

However my #1 for the rock gig I'm doing is an Indonesian Yamaha. I wanted something with a trem that wasn't a Floyd but would stay in tune. So far I like it a lot. Wilkerson Trem, locking tuners, Duncan pickups, nice looking finish, well dressed frets. Strat style guitar with a Duncan Custom 5 and Duncan P90. The electronics are nice. The bridge is a little too hot for my taste but in single coil mode it works well with the P90. It doesn't get along well with my Ernie Ball Volume pedal. But I have no complaints about the guitar. It MAPs for $700.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/G-stand_zpssnemxtgf.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/Yamaha-1_zpspbezvkzh.jpg

@ JuJu and CEB, I bought an Epiphone ES-175 that was made in Korea and has labels saying it was "assembled in the USA and 100% inspected". After about 4 days of playing the jack came loose and I sent the guitar back for a replacement. The replacement lasted 2 weeks before the jack came loose again. I took it to GC and had the jack tightened. 8 months later it came loose again. I bought a special tool and tightened it myself and so far it hasn't come loose again. If it does, I've got the blue locktite on standby and that will fix it. If not, I'll have my tech install a permanent after market quality jack that will never come loose again LOL! Long story short [pun intended], you can have problems no matter where the guitar is made (at least I can LOL!). My 175 is an arch top with F-holes and an adjustable bridge with 2 USA 57 humbuckers and 500K pots. So, I really didn't need another hollow body. But I sure liked the looks and vibe of that Masterbilt EPI! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

The best Asian Epiphones were the older Korean built Samick Sheraton IIs.

I would think the best Asian Epiphones are the now discontinued Elitist series made in the Terada factory in Japan, though I haven't played one. And in my experience, the Peerless made Epiphones have a bit of an edge over the later Unsung models. Haven't played a Samick Epiphone, but I do have a Samick brand archtop, and I really prefer my several Peerless Epiphones & Gretsches to that Samick.

Scott Fraser

The best Asian Epiphones were the older Korean built Samick Sheraton IIs.

I agree wholeheartedly. I own a '97 Sheraton (Samick built) that looks, plays and sounds like a much more expensive guitar. This excellence was recently enhanced by upgrading the pots and caps and installing a pair of StewMac Parson Street Alnico II humbuckers (thanks, Caevan). She is a joy to play.

If you play cool, you are cool.

...blue locktite... :cool:

That should do.

:2thu:

All this talk about Epi's and hollow bodies caused me to drag that ES-175 out last night. What a great little guitar to play coming through my little Hot Rod Deluxe 112 tuber! I'm going to change out of those flatwounds and go round wound nickel. I want to bring back some of the unplugged acoustic sound, string squeak and all LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived