Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nord Electro 5 HP action

HSS

Does the Nord Electro 5 HP have improved action vs. the older HP models? I can't find one to check out here in Vegas. I'm thinking about buying a 5 HP online and would like to avoid the hassle of shipping it back if the action is the same as older HP models.

For context, I already understand that the Nord HP models all use Fatar TP100 actions so I'm wondering if Nord has tweaked and improved the TP100 action in the HP 5 model vs. older HP models, which I've played and IMO found to be imprecise and somewhat slow, especially for the high price.

Even though action is very subjective, I'd be grateful for informed opinions from anyone who has played the 5 HP as well as the older HP models.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have an E5 HP now, and had an E3 HP five years ago -- nothing about the current E5 TP100 keybed seems vastly superior to how it was setup on the E3. I agree with your characterization of the TP100, though. It's fine for the Broadway, jazz, and worship gigs I play. I don't have classical chops, so I don't miss the finesse that's achievable on other keybeds.

Kurzweil PC4-7, Studiologic Numa X 73

I had the chance to play an E5 HP recently and found the action utterly unusable. I hadn't used an HP action on any previous boards and I didn't like the action on the E4 HP that was also in the shop, so maybe I'm just a crank when it comes to the HP action in general... If anything, I preferred the E4 HP as it seemed a bit less clunky.

The pivot point at the rear end of the key on the E5 was really, really off-putting and the mechanism as a whole seemed sluggish and unresponsive.

I was quite disappointed actually, as I'd been scheming about picking up an E5 HP for a lightweight, all-round gigging board so I could leave my Kronos in the studio...

Viscount Legend, Leslie 142, Nord Stage 3 HA88, Rhodes MK1 1977, Moog Sub 37, Dave Smith Rev2, Juno 106, DX7

I can't find one to check out here in Vegas. I'm thinking about buying a 5 HP online and would like to avoid the hassle of shipping it back if the action is the same as older HP models

Do you ever gig in SoCalif? I'm in San Bernardino, if you're ever close enough to drop in and play mine. Of course, then you'll also have the play the 3 Rhodes, the CP-80, and the Baldwin/Howard, too. :)

Kurzweil PC4-7, Studiologic Numa X 73

Brad and JWhllr.... Many thanks for your comments about the Nord HP5's action. Brad, I don't gig in Southern California but I do drive to LA / San Diego every few months, so perhaps I'll try to drop by sometime and check out your Nord HP5 as well as your other boards.

I'm a weekend warrior who mainly gigs in low-brow blues and soul bands in off-strip dives here in Vegas so I don't need high-end action. Nevertheless, given the price of the HP, I was hoping for improved action compared to the older HP's which I've played. I currently mainly gig with a Hammond SK-1 on top and Kurz SP4-7 on the bottom because I need a small footprint on the cramped stages I usually play on. I'm hoping to replace the semi-weighted Kurz SP4-7 with a similar small-footprint fully-weighted 73 / 76 key board, hence my interest in the Nord HP5.

WRG to other fully-weighted small-footprint 73 / 76 key boards... I'm aware of the Kurz Forte 76 key board but it's even higher priced than the Nord HP5, and, even though it has a small footprint, it's quite heavy (~40 lbs). I'm also interested in the Studiologic Acuna 73 controller but it requires an external sound source. The relatively new Dexibell S3 is interesting (small footprint and ~22 lbs) but I'm not aware of it's availability and/or price on this side of the Pond. The Korg 73 key SV1 has good sounds and a good price point, but, like the Forte 7, it's heavy (~40 lbs) and I don't like it's action which seems slow and for me tiring. I'm also keeping an eye out for the new Korg Grand stage, assuming a fully-weighted 73 key version becomes available.

I wish Casio would make a 73 / 76 key Privia or Yamaha would make 73/76 key version of their P series fully-weighted boards.

Enough of my navel gazing and whining...

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha CK88, MX88, & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Looks like you covered the sub-88 hammer action boards pretty well there. I guess you could also consider the Roland RD64 if you were willing to have even fewer keys.

I would be surprised if anything based on the TP100 will be more to your liking than the RH3 on Korg's SV1 (and I expect that the Grandstage will feel the same, though looks to have lighter travel weight). If you prefer a lighter/quicker (but still hammer action) keyboard, I'm pretty sure the Forte 76 has the TP40L (maybe someone else can confirm)... yeah, 41+ lbs, but that might be about as light as 7x as you'll find that you'll like the action of. Or if you're okay with a used board, look for a Nord Stage 2 (not EX) 76-key model, at 36 bs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Looks like you covered the sub-88 hammer action boards pretty well there. I guess you could also consider the Roland RD64 if you were willing to have even fewer keys.

Yeah.... I'm aware of the RD64. It's action is really good but because Roland puts the controls, as they do with most of their boards, on the left rather than above, the RD64's length (~44") is actually the about the same or even longer than the 73 / 76 key models I listed above. Also, even though I've played piano parts on gigs on 61 key boards, I pretty strongly prefer the extra octave for piano.

Yeah.... I'm aware of the RD64. It's action is really good but because Roland puts the controls, as they do with most of their boards, on the left rather than above, the RD64's length (~44") is actually the about the same or even longer than the 73 / 76 key models I listed above.

Well than, at about the same width, your choice might be 64 keys you like the feel of or 7x keys you don't. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived