Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Christmas CDs

Delta

Not as in Christmas music but 2 I received as gifts. I've had a chance to listen to a couple of recent ones released last year by older artists.

Santana IV- Very early Santana sound except for the obvious tech upgrades. Good interplay between Carlos and Neal Schon. In the early days Neal played mostly rhythm. Here he goes toe to toe with the great one and does fine. A very fine album IMO.

Rik Emmitt & Resolutions-Res 9- Former lead singer and guitarist for Triumph with a newly formed band with contributions from Alex Lifeson and other artists. I like this one also. Rik's vocals have deepened with age and the musicianship is top notch with great guitar work.

Happy New Year to All!

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only given Santana IV one listen so far, so this may be unfair, but I found it lacking passion and energy, even if superficially the "sound" was there.

Maybe it'll grow on me. Many Santana albums do. But I'm not one to live in the past, so as with Asia, I kind of preferred the forward momentum with the new musicians vs. revisiting old line-ups.

For reference, my favourite Santana albums are Caravanserai, Welcome, and Borboletta. And after that, the late 70's albums and a couple of the mid-80's when things got a bit uneven for awhile but still some moments of glory with the two Chester Thompsonses on board.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I think maybe Delta was going after CDs any of us got as Christmas GIFTS.

The last CD I got as a Christmas gift was "Hell Freezes Over" by The Eagles.

Shows you HOW long it's been. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I think so too, but Baldwin also brought in a little taste of Christmas CD's (probably due to the thread title LOL!)...anyway the non-Christmas CD that I got for Christmas was Bob Dylan and the "Raw" original Band Basement tapes recordings. I haven't played it yet but it's sitting out in the line up to be the next one I play! I also got a DVD (which is what I prefer these days) of the Johnny Cash television show from back in the day. My son-n-law was playing it at a family get-together and I really liked it, so wah-lah, I got me a copy! It has old performances of Cash with many artists singing and playing live duos. The artists were younger back then and are a lot fun to watch. Artists like Bob Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, Marty Robbins, Louis Armstrong, CCR, Roy Orbison, Waylon Jennings, Glen Campbell, Neil Diamond, Chet Atkins, Merle Haggard, Carl Perkins, Roy Clark, Hank Williams Jr., etc., you get the idea! Very Cool!

Getting back to Mark, I don't mind living in the past LOL! My favorite Santana album was/is Santana Abraxas. I haven't heard Santana IV yet. The latest song that he does that I really like is Smooth! I have always been a fan. If there is one electric sound that I would love to get on guitar, it's his Black Magic Woman sound! :cool::thu:

Take care, Larryz

OK, sorry, the purpose of the thread was indeed confusing. :-)

Been a few years since I was given CD's for Xmas, but I usually give some each year. This year I gave a nice recording of Britten's "Ceremony of Carols" on the Hyperion label.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

My wonderful wife got me the new box set from great NRBQ, "High Noon-A Fifty Year Retrospective". Five CDs of great music from every stage in their career.

It's too bad NRBQ never had the huge success they deserved, incredible band. I've seen them in concert many, many times.

Two cd's I got for Christmas are:

Mostly Autumn: Box of Tears, a live album from a band that is kind of Pink Floyd meets Jethro Tull and Fairport Convention.

Flower Kings: Banks of Eden More great prog from the Swedish band, Featuring Roine Stolt on guitar. Not a week song on the album.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I mentioned this in another thread, but this Christmas, my wife got me the 2009 re-mastered version of Thomas Dolby's Golden Age of Wireless.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Archived