Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

playing to midi files

alecras234

Hi my name is Ash, i'm 38 from the UK and i'm disabled and use a wheelchair. I play keyboard with my left hand as I can't use both hands because of my disability. I use midi files to play the music and play the melody with my left hand. I have a few Queen midi files saved as i'm a big Queen fan. I'm learning the melody to Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen but when the guitar solo comes in and the melody stops I'm stuck. What do i play? I'm not very good at improvising.

I thought playing keyboard would be fun but as i'm no good at improvising it takes the fun of playing away! If you could tell me what i could play while the guitar solo is playing on the midi file,it would be great.

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about playing some backing chords? Otherwise, I think solos were invented so the rest of the band can grab a glass of water and take a break-- so you could just sit back and enjoy listening to the guitar solo until it's time to start playing again. ;)

Improvising comes with practice. I guess that for some people it comes more naturally-- but before you can improvise you need to be familiar with the tune, or the basic chord progressions.

The fun doesn't come from being able to improvise, it comes from doing something you enjoy. As long as you enjoy it, who cares whether you're improvising or not? Just my $.02, anyway. :)

Michael Rideout

What about playing some backing chords? Otherwise, I think solos were invented so the rest of the band can grab a glass of water and take a break-- so you could just sit back and enjoy listening to the guitar solo until it's time to start playing again. ;)

Improvising comes with practice. I guess that for some people it comes more naturally-- but before you can improvise you need to be familiar with the tune, or the basic chord progressions.

The fun doesn't come from being able to improvise, it comes from doing something you enjoy. As long as you enjoy it, who cares whether you're improvising or not? Just my $.02, anyway. :)

This is superb advice. My only other insight would be to change patches and follow along with the bass line - that would be great ear training and help with basic improvising, and also be able to play underneath the solo.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

so instead of playing the melody, play along with the bass?

Just during the guitar solo, if you so choose. Actually, learning the bass line of the song would do 3 things:

1- help learn the chord structure of the song.

2- be easier to play left handed.

3- give you a musical alternative to just melody lines.

As a keyboard player who always doubles on left hand bass, I'm basically the foundation of the group. Also, there are times that I need to lock the drummer into my tempo if he can't comp a steady beat by himself (Disclaimer-most drummers are self sufficient in this regard, but I work with some that need a bit more work on their internal metronome).

Since you can play melodic lines, don't limit yourself to just that. If your keyboard allows, try putting up a drum patch and add some rhythm stabs.....for me, one thing always leads to another when exploring all music.

Hope this helps.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I have learned the bass line for when the guitar solo plays but now I've got the problem of what to play in the operatic part of the song, i don't want to play just the melody all the way through. I play the melody for the first 2 verses then for the guitar solo i play the bass sound. i split the keys so left hand plays bass guitar sound and right hand plays sax or whatever, so for the operatic section i'll still be on the same split sound bass and sax, what do you suggest i do? i can only use my left hand.

I didn't see any mention of what keyboard you're using. Can it save and recall setups (registrations)? Maybe you could save the sax and bass split as one registration, then save a choir and bass split as another registration. Then you could try playing the choir sound during the operatic part to see how it sounds.
Michael Rideout

Archived