Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cp4/montage question

agitato

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion No. Out of the box I like CP4 pianos better. Montage sound designers went overboard with the verbs on the piano patches. But that can all be fixed.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

The other factor is integration with the keybed. The total package of playing the CP4 with the keybed plus the piano sounds is what makes the overall experience superior.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm disappointed to the CFX Piano in Montage vs CP4. I couldn't use it until now, maybe someone have a tip how to tweak it. In the CP4 is the CFX my favorite!

My favorite in Montage8 is the Full Concert Grand. It's the same as in the Motif but it sounds better and warmer to my ears.

Well the CP series has AP and EP "engines" that allow for better reproductions than you'll find in the Montage with its basic sample playback. So you should have a high level of playability and more detail with release samples, string resonance, etc. The EP side has direct parameters for changing the model. The Montage is sample playback and there are some real limits as to what you can do with it (or any hardware sample engine). Whether these are going to make a difference when play live is less likely, but through headphones you should be able to hear more of the detail found in the CP series.

Busch.

In my opinion the Full Concert Grand is the preset who fits all scenarios best in the Montage. You can tweak it for your purposes with EQ, compression, Velocity and more, use the Rock Concert or the Concert Warm.

The Montage8 is still new for me so I'm still trying out.

If you need more than only piano sounds than is the Montage very versatile with very good sounds and you don't need other Rack or Computer sounds.

For piano only the CP1 and CPs series are sure the better options for Yamaha.

Archived