Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

k&m omega stand

jogger

Hi all,

Need a stand for space and leg room after getting organ bass pedals (24 note by Jared Gold). Dimensions 32.5 x 21" without volume pedal installed which I plan to install making it go beyond 21.

I would like a second tier option and was thinking of K&M omega. Anyone have that and how easy is it to transport? Any noticable board movement when playing?

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have both stands Jogger. If you have a van or a trailer for your gear, that Omega is the bomb. But if you dont have those vehicles, and you put other stuff in your vehicle, the Omega is more of a pain in the ass...for me at least, and I drive a 2006 Highlander (minisuv). The 2nd tier doesnt travel well in any capacity because you have to remove the 2 arms, and they are kinda heavy for what they are, but more importantly, are REALLY large, so finding a way to sneak it into the rest of your gear and not carry it loose can be a struggle. (they fit in my Gator pedalboard bag, but that just added another 12lbs at least to the bag, so it's gonna suffer eventually.)

The 18950 really works great, is easy to tote, and the 2nd tier has a much easier time fitting into your existing luggage totes. (they fit in my cable case, which is much smaller than my pedalboard bag.)

I'm one of the rare birds who doesn't love the Omega (it currently resides in my studio, supporting a shelf holding my studio monitors and other rack gear, so it's still a win for me), and thinks they could have done something to make it easier to transport. Pulling the legs out to spin and reinsert for travel is just STUPID. They could have made the feet rotate, or instead of square tubing, used round tubing, so you could just spin the legs, and that would have improved the flexibility/transport.

Great stand....but not if you don't have a vehicle that allows you to transport without breaking down. If you have to break down, there are many ...okay, not many, but other alternatives.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Thanks Tony. Just what I needed to hear. I like the Omega but not the breakdown. If it folded smaller perhaps. I have a small SUV. The 18950 seems more easy to transport.

Can I ask how long it takes to set up the 18950 with the added tier?

The first time you set it up takes the longest as you figure out which holes and angles work best for you. Get a silver sharpie and mark the pivot point on the 2nd tier so that it always sets up exactly where you want it.

The 2nd time you set it up takes 4 seconds to open the stand, 5 seconds to stretch it to your desired length and another 5 seconds to tighten the thumb screws. It'll take another 30 seconds to set up your 2nd tier.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I have a two tier Omega stand sitting in a cabinet in my garage after one use. Solid stand, but the second tier wasn't as flexible as I'd prefer, and the Spider Pro (I have two) is much easier set-up/tear-down for gigs. For single synth gigs I LOVE the V-Pro from Ultimate... sets up in seconds. In my home studio I prefer the old Z stands for maximum second tier flexibility. My two cents...

~ That guy

The 18810 (Omega) is a good stand indeed. I have two in my home studio, both with the 2nd tiers. I also have the laptop holder, which I don't recommend, the top plate is very flimsy. I would not recommend the Omega for live use, unless maybe you can transport it without disassembling. For live I highly recommend the 18880. This stand is ridiculously light (2 kg or so), folds in seconds and is remarkably stable. It's not the coolest looking stand though...

Archived