Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New VST host: Gig Performer

johnchop

For what it's worth, I have just stopped using my Kronos. I love that keyboard but now I'm just using controllers (three 61-note controllers and one 88-note controller).

I spent several weeks sampling sounds that I had created on the Kronos and threw them into Kontakt to use live. So my Kronos will live on in the virtual world. I think it's one of the best workstations ever developed.

Actually i am using the Kronos as the base for controlling the software, it gives me the best of both worlds.. having an external controll section for every combi just works perfect for me..... i am using the Kronos as Audio interface for my macbook .. so no extra mixer needed...

Altough i dont use gig performer, but i use mainstage on my macbook, things stay the same.. for me the Kronos is next to a great workstation also a great controller for my software...

I do have to admit, that i still use the Kronos for most of my sound... but then this allows me to do some really heavy CPU (u-he and my firend spectrasonics) or reason stuff while still having the base of my sound covered on the Kronos...

Still havent found a replacement for Karma in software... which is another reason i stick to the Kronos as my rig controller.. i dont see any reason for going full software, as one allways needs to bring that 88 key controller...it might as well be the K.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I am a little surprised at how easily GP plays back at 64 samples. I think the computer is a factor, though. I specifically bought this MBP last November for live music use, and have not installed anything I do not absolutely need. I have restricted email to just one account I hardly ever use, turned off Photos Sync etc. So it's a pretty clean and lean machine, and still pretty new, too.

Also, I keep external MIDI controls very simple, only program changes and tap tempo.

Frankly, with the USB mic engaged, the 64 sample buffer doesn't feel all that snappy, so I suspect there is some buffering going on elsewhere. When it's just the keyboard, it is pretty good.

Still, Roland's USB Audio implementation is not quite as good as -say- MOTU's, and even the MBP's internal audio feels more efficient at times. Or maybe USB is the bottleneck here? :idk

I have a few rack spaces that forced me to bump up to a 128 buffer. But dig it; VB3, Melda Vintage Rotary, Pianoteq, Replika(delay), and Melda Mreverb. All of that at the same time....I can live with the 128 buffer.

If you use VB-3, you are using something to bridge it, right? Maybe that also affects LLP.

I'm using 32 Lives. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and I use it for everything else too. So it's not optimized like the one you've got running. I did upgrade to a SSD and I maxed the RAM to 16 gig. I also use Hammersmith by Sonnicouture. A really amazing piano library but it also pushed me up to a 128 buffer if I use some of its more advanced features.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

Archived